Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

Anonymous
Not applicable
If this is better off using USB2 but the splitter is too short to reach both then this is a total joke!

Tisa-
Explorer

Fededale said:

I fix the tracking issue ! My Rift S work only with  USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A port. I've Msi B450 Pro Carbon Ac motherboard and I tried all my Usb, all procedure etc. etc. but it worked for a few minute and then it stopped tracking. The solution for me was USB 3.1 GEN2. Yesterday I played DCS World for 2H and Assetto Corsa Competizione 1H Without problem !
I hope it can help.

For me it's the opposite...
I lost the tracking when i plug the Rift S on USB3.1 Gen2.
When i plug it on USB3.1 Gen1, tracking works well.

I have Asus Prime X470-PRO

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine lost tracking when going from USB3.1 Gen2 Type-A to a USB3.0 PCIe Card but I did wonder if it just needed to go through Setup or a REBOOT again.
If anyone needs to try USB2.0 then it's likely your K/b&Mouse both are those so swap them for RIFT S.

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer
I've swapped it from every USB port on my PC and the controllers stay stuck no matter what. These things may temporarily work for some people but I feel like until a solid firmware update comes out it going to persist. What's frustrating is I haven't been able to get my controllers to move at all since they got initially stuck the first time. Most people are able to get it to work with some sort of work around but I cant get the slightest result.

I'll also say my rift s worked for about 5 days of heavy use before my movement got stuck. I dont think the USB hub is the issue. It's a slight fix but in my opinion it wouldn't work for days on a USB and then randomly stop because it wasnt the right port.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Surely remove/add batteries and then press Oculus Buttons on both.

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

Lol I assure that's one of the first things I tried. As I've said I've gone through this entire thread and others and tried every fix. 

hellbringeranus
Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

Lol I assure that's one of the first things I tried. As I've said I've gone through this entire thread and others and tried every fix. 

Seeing as this is a common occurence and lots of ppl have been having problems I'm interested in what is causing it I have sent my logs to oculus and have only had the reply of everything looks normal sir. Please give us indefinite amount of time to look into this xD. I have had 2 different units on my pc have tried also every fix possible I'll be getting a third unit in on the 12th so I'm wondering if it will get fixed soon

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

Seeing as this is a common occurence and lots of ppl have been having problems I'm interested in what is causing it I have sent my logs to oculus and have only had the reply of everything looks normal sir. Please give us indefinite amount of time to look into this xD. I have had 2 different units on my pc have tried also every fix possible I'll be getting a third unit in on the 12th so I'm wondering if it will get fixed soon

I'm basically stuck trying to replace my unit or get a refund and get a new one, or try an all new headset. But I love the price of the rift s and when it was working it was fantastic.  But as of now it will not track my hands at all. I will also be sending in my logs today and spending hours seeing if i can make a miracle happen. I just wish we would be told if it was hardware or software issue at this point. Like enough people are having the problem that they should have some info rather than, have you tried unplugging your cables and getting new batteries?

CountryManTheTi
Explorer
This whole situation is leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I went to Best Buy and got a brand new rift s sent to me after returning the old one. And it worked! For the first 3 hours... then tracking was lost. No big right? I’ll just restart oculus... freak thing it happens. I restarted oculus 3 times now... not even 5 minutes in each time I’ve lost tracking. Wtf? 

Oh and btw oculus has now decided to contact me about my old headset. A week after I set the ticket... it’s gone bud. Yknow what they asked? Is my room well lit? Yes it very much is and I don’t think that would be the issue after 3 hours of gameplay...

Most likely refunding this one for good. Good job Oculus... way to crush expectations and your business.

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Product at this time is deemed as "defective" so you, I, and others should NOT have any problem with a Refund if the time comes.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?