cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know if you can get an extension for Rift S?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Does anyone know if you can get an DP extension cable for Rift S and how far can it be extended?
85 REPLIES 85

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I don't have the Rift S anymore, but these extension cables are hit & miss just like they are with the Rift CV1. I had to order 3 different extension cables to get it to work on that headset even though some people said their cables worked. I'm not sure what causes it to be so hit & miss. The truth is that some will work for some and not others.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

MAC_MAN86 said:

What I want to know is do you still get WHITE FLASHES if anyone on here says "fixed it"!

I have never had white flashes so I cannot help with that question Mac.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could you please Vote on here @Morgrum as direct feedback for no issues of either...
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76976/vote-only-if-your-rift-s-has-no-white-flashes...

Scope666
Protege
I know this is an older thread, but I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.  I have the recommended Cable Matters 10' extension cables.  I believe the DP one is fine, but the USB is giving me some strange problems.  Basically when I first switch from direct to PC to using the extension, it works fine.  After some time, the tracking will start to wig out.  The best theory I can come up with is it's a power issue, and perhaps some capacitors are storing energy for awhile, eventually getting depleted and not having enough power because of voltage loss because of the extension.  

What would be a better solution, a powered USB 3.0 hub, or a PCI-E USB 3.0 card that has the power connection on it?  I'm wondering if this would somehow supply more power than my motherboard does?  The MB is an Asus Maximus Hero IX, with Intel 3.0 and Asmedia 3.1 controllers.  When I'm plugged in direct I get all green for the Rift, if I run through the extension I'll get the orange.

sraura
Heroic Explorer

Scope666 said:

I know this is an older thread, but I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.  I have the recommended Cable Matters 10' extension cables.  I believe the DP one is fine, but the USB is giving me some strange problems.  Basically when I first switch from direct to PC to using the extension, it works fine.  After some time, the tracking will start to wig out.  The best theory I can come up with is it's a power issue, and perhaps some capacitors are storing energy for awhile, eventually getting depleted and not having enough power because of voltage loss because of the extension.  

What would be a better solution, a powered USB 3.0 hub, or a PCI-E USB 3.0 card that has the power connection on it?  I'm wondering if this would somehow supply more power than my motherboard does?  The MB is an Asus Maximus Hero IX, with Intel 3.0 and Asmedia 3.1 controllers.  When I'm plugged in direct I get all green for the Rift, if I run through the extension I'll get the orange.

I think your theory could be about right. You can also add heat to the equation.

Personally I would buy both. Hub will be useful anyways (specially if you buy one which has power switches for every single port). PCI-E USB will give more dedicated bandwidth and power to rift.

Also if you have 550W power supply or if the power supply is very old - that could be the problem.

Also before you buy anything, would recommend connecting the extension cord while your computer is not on. The orange warning and issues you get might be related to this. If you connect it while your computer is on, shut the computer down and start it again from power button. In this context simple computer restart will not do.

Scope666
Protege
I have the recommended PCI-E USB 3.0 card coming tomorrow, will try that next.  I'm still in the return window so if worst comes to worst I'll just stick with my Vive w/ DAS.  It's a real shame as I really like the Rift, it probably would have been solved if they used external power like Vive / Index / etc. instead of relying on the USB port for juice.

I also reached out to Support but their stance is you can't extend the cables:

"Unfortunately, we can only guarantee correct tracking without the use of adapters. We actually recommend connecting the Rift S without the use of any.

Please let me know if you ever have more questions."

Anonymous
Not applicable
So here's what I recommend

Cable Matters 8K DisplayPort to DisplayPort Cable (DisplayPort 1.4 Cable) with 8K 60Hz Video Resolution and HDR Support - 10 Feet amazon com /dp/B07J2PGGFX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_5HQI84n7E5DLI
$16

Cmple - USB 3.0 A Male to A Female Extension Gold Plated Cable - 10FT (Blue) amazon com
/dp/B00AWSTI26/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_C2zbjYn3tAP4E
$8

Cable Matters DisplayPort Repeater (DisplayPort Signal Booster, DisplayPort Amplifier) with 8K Video Resolution for Oculus Rift S, HTC Vive Pro, Gaming Monitors and More amazon com /dp/B07D949F59/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_oO.8Db580YBD2
$20

Tested with a few rounds of beat saber
It worked nicely, gave me an extra 10 feet I needed to bring the signal to another room

TexasNightOwl
Explorer
I noticed something interesting.  I can use this Cable Matters 10 foot USB extension from amazon with my Rift S and it shows a good USB connection but no DisplayPort connection, even though I am not extending the DP cable when I use it.  I also tried their 10 foot DP extension cable, this time without using the USB extensnion, but that too shows no DisplayPort connection.  Neither seem to work for me. 
 /gp/product/B008219UMI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. 
/gp/product/B00L1K1KDE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

chaoswv
Honored Guest
Hey, we were looking into solutions for extending the Occulus Rift S and WhoDaFluer's links worked perfectly for us. Just thought I should put that out there for anyone else reading this thread trying to solve this issue!

Nikali1217
Honored Guest

Morgrum said:

Confirming that the 6 foot cable Cyber linked worked for me also.

(link that i cant post)

I used a usb repeater cable to extend that.

(link that i cant post)

I am sure you can go shorter but in case I want to try a longer display port extension ( shrugs ).

No issues at all.

I will buy the longer one to test.

am I the only one with the Rankie DP extension NOT Working? :< also it says in the description thats its not compatible with Oculus but everyone is using it just fine. Except me ofcourse.