cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games and Apps Keep Crashing On The Quest

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer
Hey, 

I am unable to play games or apps for not that long at all before they crash and return me back to the main menu. Sometimes the game will start to slow down and lag before it quits and other times, it's instant. It seems to be gradually getting worse too, at first i was able to play for around 30 - 45 mins, but now it doe's it at around the 15 min mark and sometimes sooner. 

What could this be? Is anyone else having this issue since the latest update? or is this more likely a hardware issue?

Thanks
66 REPLIES 66

OCtheodoreOC
Honored Guest
Hi! This has also been happening to me quite badly too. This happened to me when i was playing superhot, first the screen blacked out the the the dots loading came up i had to turn it off leave it for 5 minutes then it worked again. The next time the game froze then oculus home loaded up i dont dont know if this is the game, headset, or software ware but I really hope it not my headset.

FlakMagnet
Adventurer
Sounds like this could maybe be overheating. Are you using your Quest in a hot country or hot room? If not, it could be that the cooling fan isn't working or a defective unit.

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

Hi! This has also been happening to me quite badly too. This happened to me when i was playing superhot, first the screen blacked out the the the dots loading came up i had to turn it off leave it for 5 minutes then it worked again. The next time the game froze then oculus home loaded up i dont dont know if this is the game, headset, or software ware but I really hope it not my headset.

Has it always happened to you? Or only recently? I heard there was a new update recently, wondering if that could be the cause. 

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

Sounds like this could maybe be overheating. Are you using your Quest in a hot country or hot room? If not, it could be that the cooling fan isn't working or a defective unit.

That's what i was thinking, but wouldn't the whole system turn off or at least show an over heating warning message like the oculus go does? I live in the U.K and it was a hot day yesterday, but today not at all. I was able to play for a very long session the first time i turned it on this morning and it never crashed, but now it's started doing it again 😞 

steveshimek
Honored Guest
Same for me. I thought it was a Rec Room issue at first and then it happened to me in Robo Recall. I saw one error message that said it had lost tracking, but in Oculus Home while reading the message, tracking was working just fine. The other times there were no messages. Just kicked me back to home. I never had the issue before, including during extra long play sessions. Anyone find a solve for this yet?

DrakonHearted
Honored Guest
This has been happening to us, too, across games.  It doesn't seem to be related to ambient heat --It happens in a cool room first thing in the morning, and a warm room in the afternoon.  Length of play doesn't seem to be a factor, since it happens randomly during the beginning, middle, and end of play, so I don't think it's internal overheating.  We've tried raising and lowering the light level in the room, and neither fixes it.  Rebooting doesn't fix it. For what it's worth, this did not happen during the first couple of weeks - it just started within the last week or so.  It's incredibly frustrating, so I hope there's a fix soon!

vittorio_david
Explorer
Same here 

Yesterday and today crash with rec room .
All the screen turns black and every noise from the game starts to repeat like hell until I turn the device of .

I thought it is a problem from rec room but today same thing with the YouTube app watching a video .

Nothing worked untill I turned the device off.

I'm very angry I buyed the quest on day one !

I had to return my quest 2 times in 1 month .
Every device a different problem .

Unbelievable!

Kntajus
Explorer
Similar story here, and I'd say it's probably getting worse as time goes on. I initially thought it might have been a specific app but I've had it crash in all of Racket Fury, Orbus and I Expect You To Die in the same way now - the picture freezes (which is hugely disconcerting if you're doing something where you're moving like table tennis, I've almost fallen over more than once), then goes black, then drops back to the home screen.

At this point I'm mainly keen to know whether this is a software or a hardware issue so I know whether to return it or not...

zachi_panigel
Honored Guest
this start happening to me after latest update (6810). didn't happened before. during game-play app crash to oculus home but still it's in the background. happened on superhot/beat saber.  very frustrating and immersion breaking.
i hope it's software issue.