Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

CountryManTheTi
Explorer
For a for anyone who is really determined. And have budget brand(1050 ti) like me, I would recommend getting the original rift on eBay. There are plenty used in great condition, and new for $400 or cheaper. I know I most likely can handle vive. But I might also wait for the index to come out.

DONT BUY A RIFT S!

That is all. 

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer
What really upsets me about all this is there is so much wrong with the rift s. But all you can find online and on YouTube are reviews saying it's the best headset to have right now. I think oculus has dropped the ball because they need to put out an official announcement that these headsets are defective instead of trying to fix it all in secrecy.  They are being so shady that I'm most likely going to return mine and pay twice the price for the Valve index. At least they have a customer service line you can call and have a lasting reputation with gamers. Feels like Oculus doesnt care at all.

CountryManTheTi
Explorer

What really upsets me about all this is there is so much wrong with the rift s. But all you can find online and on YouTube are reviews saying it's the best headset to have right now. I think oculus has dropped the ball because they need to put out an official announcement that these headsets are defective instead of trying to fix it all in secrecy.  They are being so shady that I'm most likely going to return mine and pay twice the price for the Valve index. At least they have a customer service line you can call and have a lasting reputation with gamers. Feels like Oculus doesnt care at all.

This... This right here. I thought I was nuts, couldn’t find one crappy review about the rift s on YouTube.

Its overall very deceiving and unprofessional.

thank you.

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer

This... This right here. I thought I was nuts, couldn’t find one crappy review about the rift s on YouTube.

thank you.

I did hours of research before my first buy and there is nothing at all anywhere stating that the oculus has problems. I agree it is very deceptive. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is noticing this. 

hellbringeranus
Explorer

thank you.

I did hours of research before my first buy and there is nothing at all anywhere stating that the oculus has problems. I agree it is very deceptive. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is noticing this. 

Ok now received my third unit and so far so good actually I have been able to play for 3 hours just one tracking issue but was fixed with restart of the app which had never worked before.
Will need more testing for longer time but looks promising as the other 2 were not working from the very start.

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer

thank you.

Ok now received my third unit and so far so good actually I have been able to play for 3 hours just one tracking issue but was fixed with restart of the app which had never worked before.
Will need more testing for longer time but looks promising as the other 2 were not working from the very start.

Not trying to discourage you but my second one worked for around 20+ hours of play time before I had any issue at all. Now I cant use it at all so just try to keep your expectations low. Until they do an insane amount of patching or a complete recall I firmly believe this product wont fiction properly.

Tisa-
Explorer
Hi,
I did some check on USB drivers and see what i found :
When rift S plugged on USB3.1Gen1 (which tracking works well) : 
o1xmmgagbf2g.png

Now Rift S plugged on USB3.1Gen2 (which cause to loose tracking) :
6c6oltfivqgq.png

So i tried to update manually the driver, on both "Generic USB" :
Generic USB Hub switched well to Rift S USB Hub.
But the Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub generate error : "this device does not work properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (code 31)."
rxh1lkhhzcps.png

May be the key is here...

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are trying to run a Driver on a HUB that is not compatible. I don't see why that is it. In Oculus Devices it shows a RED DOT on HMD and clicking on it says DP not connected. It is very likely interference on the cable from the Audio Limiting constantly rather than just any Peaks, so is over processing and builds up a negative flow for data.

ThirstyScotsman
Honored Guest
Out of curiosity, how many of you have the Windows 10 May update 1903? Apparently my PC isn't ready for the update. I wonder if that is a part of the problem.

Vuul
Honored Guest
ASUS PRIME Z370-A motherboard here.

Headset and tracking works fine when plugged into the usb 3.0 controlled by the intel chipset

However when plugged into USB 3.1 controlled by an ASMedia ASM3142 chip, the headset is completely unresponsive. (either stuck on the 3 dots loading or unresponsive tracking and passthrough camera issue like the OP)

The controller has the latest version i could find, however the same problem happens with any Driver, even the Microsoft provided one.

I dread to think someone buying a Rift for a laptop or Pc with only the very common Asmedia usb controllers, the Rift S would be unusable on their system.