cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the ideal Oculus headset to purchase?

JourneyManDesig
Honored Guest
I am a complete novice with Oculus and all-things virtual reality but I wish to start getting involved. I do not play any video games whatsoever. I wish to only have 'experiences'. What is the ideal Oculus headset to purchase for this purpose?
Sincerely,
Anthony M. Grimaldi
JourneyManDesigns

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The Oculus go is a great starting point but only has 3 directions of movement. The Oculus Quest is new and has 6 dof but a bit more expensive. If you have a good PC and graphics card then you may want to think about the Oculus Rift S. The first 2 need a mobile phone to set up and are untethered.

Any more questions just ask. 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The Oculus go is a great starting point but only has 3 directions of movement. The Oculus Quest is new and has 6 dof but a bit more expensive. If you have a good PC and graphics card then you may want to think about the Oculus Rift S. The first 2 need a mobile phone to set up and are untethered.

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Digikid1
Consultant
Currently the best one is still the Rift Cv1.  Too many issues with the other models to recommend them yet. 

forestguy
Expert Protege
For me, the Oculus Quest is massive, 6 dof and untethered. It is better than I thought it would be and is a great VR experience for family fun especially games like Superhot and Beat Saber, with other VR systems you need a mid to fast pc and is tethered, even the so called wireless modules seem a bit of cumbersome. If you want public buy-in and longevitiy VR Systems like the Quest is so important.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

I am a complete novice with Oculus and all-things virtual reality but I wish to start getting involved. I do not play any video games whatsoever. I wish to only have 'experiences'. What is the ideal Oculus headset to purchase for this purpose?

Techy111 said:

I agree with Techy, the Oculus Go is a great intro into VR and does not cost you an arm and a leg.  It's also very easy to use and if you have any problems, Oculus Support is fantastic imho.  

It probably is still the very best VR platform for what it sounds like you want to do (= not so much games, mainly VR media experiences).  Have a look at the Oculus Go on their website for more info;

https://www.oculus.com/go/

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers