Black Screen with Rift S in Setup - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

12346»

Comments

• OculusSupportOculusSupport Posts: 296 Oculus Staff
    Hey @MikePixelPusher,

We have seen reports of this issue with MSI laptops and although we are not sure of the root cause at this point, we would like to recommend that you try rolling back to an earlier version of the NVIDIA driver. More information and troubleshooting steps on this can be found here: https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/

Thanks, -Aidan
  • MikePixelPusherMikePixelPusher Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Any updates? Any successes? 
    System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

• noomi85noomi85 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I am returning my Rift S today.

I have scoured the internet for solutions over the last 3 days and have tried everything. Reddit tips, youtube tips, oculus support tips... everything! Uninstall, reinstall, drivers, plug into different ports, delete folders, roll back drivers... etc Support gave me the basic unplug/replug download beta driver.

The one thing that briefly worked for my was restoring my pc to a few days back. However after updating Windows to 1903 the issue had returned again, and now will not go away. So I am out of options. I really would have loved to keep the oculus because VR is amazing, but it just wont work so back it goes.

Completely black screen, cant do anything.
  • YakuzaTXYakuzaTX Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Just got my Rift S last week,  and have had this problem since day one. Tried all the things mentioned here to no avail. Also, current configuration for inside out tracking is not good with FPS games. 

Returning it tomorrow and putting the money towards an Index. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 16
    On Win1903 (not MSI but Dell XPS8930 i7 Intel 200 series), after a few days got blackscreen after playing great for about 12hours with the usual occasional white flashes. Tried all things known and last resort before a clean install was REPAIR.
    So I download you latest SETUP file, restore Share privileges to 2nd Drive Oculus Folder and run it Repair...
    I get the latest 1.38 (I checked) Update and Firmware, Headset still connected, I put in new charged batteries for Touch and all goes well and get the Firmware Updates too.
    THEN I get a 2nd Update for Oculus and Firmware and it does it all over again BUT IT INSTALLS 1.37 again!!!
    SO WTF??? Did you stop the Updates now or what because this is now just a bloody mess!!!
    (still blackscreen and back where I was)
  • bateman73bateman73 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 17
    Hi folks,
    i had the problem, that my rift s shows NOTHING (black screen) when i was ask to finish the setup by putting on my rift and continue the steps.
    I searched the Internet for a solution and i found this thread seeing that many people seem to have a similar problem.

- i installed newest nvidia Drivers (430.86)
    - i updated my Firmware (1.7.1) and software by switching to test-channel in Oculus app
    - i updated Windows to 1903
    - i switched every DisplayPort and USB 3 port on my pc

Nothing of this resolved the problem. even worse: after installing 1.7.1 Firmware, the app told me that the DiplayPort is not connected. This problem didn't occur before the update...
    I opened a support ticket (1 week ago!!!) no answer yet. So this support is terrible and it seems they take a shit about  their customers.

Luckly i bought mine at a local store so i brought it back and ask if they can test the device on another pc. They did and the result was the same. So they took another, new one and checked this device also...and it worked without any problems.

so all of you having this "black screen/ no image during setup" problem:  it seems to be a Hardware issue. 
    Brain Burst
    I got it to work! I stopped the headset going black after 30 secs. I played for 3+ hours yesterday.

I installed the newest video card drivers provided by MSI (Driver version 417.77).  Downloaded directly from the MSI website for my laptop. I did a clean install.

Hopefully it stays working. Did this work for anyone else?

Wintermute
    Are none MSI owners to try 417 also I wonder?
    430.86 had worked since launch!
    Brain Burst
    edited June 19
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Are none MSI owners to try 417 also I wonder?
    430.86 had worked since launch!
    Yea 430.86 did not work for me. Not sure why its working for you...  But I will try them again. I also have not tried the Oculus beta drivers either.

Wintermute
    edited June 19
    Mine worked until the day before it was due to Upgrade. When I came back to it next day, blackscreen but audio, did a Setup>Repair leading to to Update Drivers/Firmware did so to 1.38 and then another lot was prompting again but it reverted to 1.37 then next day it got the Update Official Roll out to 1.38 again but still no screen and not spinning dots just audio.
    In setting it up it complained about gpu driver issue. Did roll back of onboard INTEL and Nvidia cleaned out to 430.86 again. Wondering now if a fresh OS install will work or has my RIFT S been put to SLEEP by Suspended Power and won't AWAKE! It really should not require any tampering with those settings and I had not before this.
    Surely the FIRMWARE did not take place. May need a new one regardless of a fresh install.
    Brain Burst
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Mine worked until the day before it was due to Upgrade. When I came back to it next day, blackscreen but audio, did a Setup>Repair leading to to Update Drivers/Firmware did so to 1.38 and then another lot was prompting again but it reverted to 1.37 then next day it got the Update Official Roll out to 1.38 again but still no screen and not spinning dots just audio.
    In setting it up it complained about gpu driver issue. Did roll back of onboard INTEL and Nvidia cleaned out to 430.86 again. Wondering now if a fresh OS install will work or has my RIFT S been put to SLEEP by Suspended Power and won't AWAKE! It really should not require any tampering with those settings and I had not before this.
    Surely the FIRMWARE did not take place. May need a new one regardless of a fresh install.
    I may have missed it but did you try the 417.77 Nvidia driver?

• SlayeminSlayemin Posts: 37 Oculus Start Member
    Hey guys, I was experiencing the same issue with the black screen on the Rift S during the initial setup.
    The fix was to update my NVidia drivers to the latest version.

1) I verified that the Rift S worked on another computer, so I know the hardware itself was not defective.
    2) I made sure that I had all of the latest Windows Updates installed for Windows 10 (Version 1809, OS Build 17763.557) (find this by running "winver")
    3) Just to be safe, I rebooted my computer. This didn't help. I was still getting the black display, so I compared the driver version on my computer against the one that worked. The drivers on the other computer were barely more up to date, I was off by a month.
    4) I went to the NVidia website and downloaded the Geforce Experience and let it auto-update my drivers to 430.86. After the driver install completed, I closed the Oculus app and then re-opened it. A moment later, I was getting display within the HMD and seeing the pass through camera for setup.

My GPU is an NVidia 2080 RTX.

So, update your video card drivers. The rift S was released very recently, so even if your drivers are a month old (as mine were), they may still be outdated.
    Wintermute
    edited June 20
    Yes but many of us already had 430.86 working, then Win10 1903 working, and then one day our screens went BLACK. 
    The ONLY thing I did was try using a USB>USB C Adapter (still with DP for GTX1080) to try free up the only USB3.1 Gen2 slot. Well at this time it acted exactly as it did when I had previously tried out the Standard USB 3.1 Gen1 Slots and also a USB 3.0 PCIe Card. All of which started to give stuck Touch outside of the Guardian (with RIFT S it does not matter where they are). I continued with what work back to the Gen2 Slot for 10hours of DCS learning how to use Radar and Fire and Dodge Missiles. I even did all this in total darkness until sunrise by use of an IR illuminator (I don't put blame on that as it worked even better!) Next day it was blank.
    Right now I have nuked Oculus fully including Registry and all Games. It worked totally fine on RIFT even.

That USB>USB C Adapter  is simply a mini USB3.1 Gen2 and although it can send access to the onboard GPU it should not have mattered as Oculus would select the Nvidia I hope!
  • RepixRealRepixReal Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Mine worked for a whole crazy wild 40 minutes before going black.... Technically innovative.. -.-
  • bokharijbokharij Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 19
    I just got my Rift S yesterday and I encountered this issue on my MSI laptop. Using 417 Nvidia drivers seemed to fix the issue. Though I didn't get a chance to actually use it for a long duration because of all the troubleshooting. I noticed Oculus Support is aware of this issue and I hope they fix it in an update maybe collaborating with Nvidia.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 431
    Trinity
    edited July 19
    RepixReal said:
    Mine worked for a whole crazy wild 40 minutes before going black.... Technically innovative.. -.-
    In many cases where "it worked for x amount of time b4 going black" it has been power related issue. Likely bad PSU or USB ports which can't provide enough power (for all connected devices).

Other main reason for such events has been loose cable connector on HMD's end.