cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S owner are screwed

JediNizar
Protege
Does any1 think the Rift S user are screwed? as I see you can play nearly any PC VR game with the Quest, with great quality and performance specially with "ALVR" + a lot of games are coming to the quest (no word about the rift)
For my part I'm seriously beginning to regret to have bought the rift S instead of the quest.
My personal awaiting game was/is Vader Immortal, initially I was aiming for the quest, but then they said it will be for both rift and quest, then all the argumentation came like "you will not be able to play Steam VR games, or any PC VR games" or "you will not have the ability to have custom songs in Beat Saber" etc... 
And now???
😐  😐
7 REPLIES 7

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^I have tried this streaming on the Go and it is very hit and miss to say the least, even on 5ghz wifi, and of course no sound is streamed so you either need a BT headset to fit over your headset or use external speaker and then the audio immerson is gone.....but as of yet a dedicated PCVR headset can't be beaten of playing your PCVR game.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

JediNizar
Protege
Did you tried with the latest version of ALVR? my friend did it with the quest, I don't know about the sound from the quest but the sound come directly from the PC through his home sourround system anyway.

And we are playing together Elite Dangerous and as far as I can tell he had not problem yet at all, we tried also playing together the Forest in VR and also there it worked fine for him.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Too much of a sweeping statement  - not screwed at all. The Rift CV1 users are happy down their path and the Rift-S users will be happy down their path. I am not sure that the "Quest can play nearly all PC VR..." [paraphrase] holds water. In reality developers can consider the expense of "down-scaling" and porting their CV1 game to Quest - but as you may have noticed many are sitting on the fence on that, waiting to see what the Samsung and HTC standalone's performances are like (both software environment, resources needed to support, and the issue of eco-system) - not such a slam dunk!

But, yes, there is an issue regarding buying a Quest, or buying a PC system - as Rift-S is in a mix with a lot of heavy hitters with better specs... for now!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Johno2090
Honored Guest
No, 2 hour battery life, 2hour charge time or charge while you play and knacker the battery. Stick to my PC thanks.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
If the Quest could work with Stadia to stream games, it would be a killer combo. 

I don't think most Rift-S owners want to deal with streaming games. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege

JediNizar said:

Does any1 think the Rift S user are screwed? as I see you can play nearly any PC VR game with the Quest, with great quality and performance specially with "ALVR" + a lot of games are coming to the quest (no word about the rift)
For my part I'm seriously beginning to regret to have bought the rift S instead of the quest.
My personal awaiting game was/is Vader Immortal, initially I was aiming for the quest, but then they said it will be for both rift and quest, then all the argumentation came like "you will not be able to play Steam VR games, or any PC VR games" or "you will not have the ability to have custom songs in Beat Saber" etc... 
And now??? 😐  😐

You must be dreaming 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

Too much of a sweeping statement  - not screwed at all. The Rift CV1 users are happy down their path and the Rift-S users will be happy down their path. I am not sure that the "Quest can play nearly all PC VR..." [paraphrase] holds water. In reality developers can consider the expense of "down-scaling" and porting their CV1 game to Quest - but as you may have noticed many are sitting on the fence on that, waiting to see what the Samsung and HTC standalone's performances are like (both software environment, resources needed to support, and the issue of eco-system) - not such a slam dunk!

But, yes, there is an issue regarding buying a Quest, or buying a PC system - as Rift-S is in a mix with a lot of heavy hitters with better specs... for now!

Well said, sir!