The Index thread (please keep to subject) - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Comments

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,160
    Wintermute
    Didn't we see an LED attachment for the front USB at some point where it had a smiley face? Can anyone remember seeing that video for Valve Index?

I know there might be better uses for for the front USB depending on what games your playing but I would happily buy that addon as I thought it looked really cool. That's if it only cost £10 off amazon.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,546 Valuable Player

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    I kind of have an urge to put a LED stripe that goes from side to side like KITT from Knight Rider and have it Shine through the magnetic cover
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,160
    Wintermute
    kevinw729 said:

Yeah that's like the one I was thinking of, looks cool, someone should sell those for sure.

pyroth309 said:
    I kind of have an urge to put a LED stripe that goes from side to side like KITT from Knight Rider and have it Shine through the magnetic cover

Yeah that would be cool. Maybe some kind of LED attachment that we can customise ourselves on our PC's.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,244 Volunteer Moderator
    Like these = Youji LED Programmable Scrolling Name Tag Badge-Red Message Display Board Digital Moving Sign USB Rechargeable ID Tag for Restaurant Shop Exhibition Nightclub Hotel https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079Q5HJMJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CR8.CbAQP531Y
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,061 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Oh or maybe a Cylon

edited June 11
    pyroth309 said:
    Oh or maybe a Cylon

Yes, precisely. I used Knight Rider because I don't the frunk isn't long enough to easily put the strips across the whole face like that and it would be more like kitt in the center.Perhaps there's enough space to slip a strip through though. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,828 Valuable Player
    Not bad - not sure a Maximillan led stripe would look good... Hmmm....

Image result for maximilian black hole
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,565
    Project 2501
    edited June 11
    RuneSR2 said:
    More cyberpiloting in Wolfie - officially this game does not support the Rift - but I'm convinced that Valve Index will be supported  ;) Game launches July 26 (in 6 weeks) - for $20.

I'm really annoyed about this game. It looks like they were worried about motion sickness so they created this cockpit game. Wolfenstein is an FPS. Why didn't they just give us a full Wolfenstein game modified for VR. That would have been so awesome.

It's just like Doom VFR where instead of giving us the full game, they give us this small altered version. 

My guess is Cyberpilot is either on rails or you have very limited control. Another wave shooter. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,565
    Project 2501
    Espire, bone-works, After the fall sounds good but not much released on that.

Not really loving Rogan, only seeing one enemy type and the physics seems off.

Bethesda disappoints again, where is Redfall? I wish they would deliver something people want instead of their terrible online concepts.

Rogan looks awesome. You're right about one enemy type but that one enemy is well animated and rendered. That's better than 5 crap enemies with terrible animation like most games. I'm looking forward to it. 

Also:: The Citadel, Walking Dead and Espire. Also, Boneworks but I still don't know what the game is about.
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
    edited June 12
    Yes, maybe Wolfie will restrict movement, I'll wait for reviews before buying. But it does look like a nice barbecue, lol
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Just a nice fan made video  :)

RuneSR2 said:
    So many talented people out there!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 12
    kevinw729 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    So many talented people out there!
    That's what I was thinking when I saw this. Guy used the Index controllers and passthrough to fly his Drone lol. 

https://gfycat.com/fearlesslittlecutworm
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 171
    Art3mis
     I probably won't be the first to get one, but the devil is doing his thing, he really wants me to have one ASAP I'm fighting hard not to pre-order but...
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,893 Valuable Player

>:)  :D >:) B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,893 Valuable Player
    I love that song, one of my funeral songs, at the end of which I'm planning on breaking out of my coffin B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    A divine tune indeed
    edited June 13
    snowdog said:
    I love that song, one of my funeral songs, at the end of which I'm planning on breaking out of my coffin B)
    I've got a cunning plan to avoid death by only listing my brain on my organ donation card.
    edited June 13
    Jason Rubin on Index - interview by UploadVR:

Valve Index

Hamilton: …In their PC headsets. I’ve been spending time with the Valve Index. I enjoy the clutching & release sensation quite a bit and I guess I’m wondering… Number one, visual comfort on that headset is very very finely tuned and that increases the amount of time that I want to spend in VR in a different way than the wireless on Quest does. But it still serves an audience and makes the experience better and invites people into these virtual worlds that much more. What is the value of the releasing sensation? Is it something that you are going to want to give to developers over time?

Valve Index Controller Wearable Open Palm

Rubin: You’re absolutely right about experimentation. The VR market is extremely early. And unlike the 2D video game market where you basically are pushing things to a screen and there wasn’t as much to experiment with — there were major changes, CD for example, 3D graphics, 2D graphics — but it wasn’t on your body. It didn’t have the trade-offs that VR has. We are still on a long road of experimentation. [...] If there are things we see others do that pick up a lot of traction we will definitely think about adopting them. But it has to come in at a price point where we’re not again putting ourselves in a position where the vast majority of people can’t use it. Facebook wants VR to reach the masses. And for all its strengths, the Index is not a mass market price device. And we don’t want to get into a world in which…

There are amazing things we could do for $2000 right now. I will tell you that. We would blow you away for $2000. You would leave the show and write a awesome article about what we could do for $2000. For ten grand, we would change your life — and exactly a thousand people would buy it. And so like there’s this interplay between the price point and what we can deliver rationally into an audience big enough to give developers an ecosystem. That we’re very cognizant of.

It is awesome that there’s competition out there. It is great that people are developing different types of controller. We look at all of them, and if people are like Index is just that controller, great. Let’s try to bring that into a price point where we can put it on the shelf for $399 or less, if it’s going to be our focus device. Who knows? I mean these devices will continue to change. But again to close: if you’re thinking about getting into VR and you are not a PC owner and you do not have that experimental cutting edge kind of focus — which there’s a Rift for that right, the Rift S or maybe it’s an Index for that — if you’re in it and you just want to put it on easily, have it work, love the content, know it’s high quality and know that anything you buy has been vetted, it is an awesome experience.

https://uploadvr.com/jason-rubin-oculus-quest-index-rift-go/

Seems to me that Rubin is saying between the lines that Oculus is not going to produce any PCVR solution that costs more than $399. 

Such a shame when you think of the Oculus that showed us the half dome. 
    Such a shame when you think of the Oculus that showed us the half dome. 

All tech companies wave shinny to keep the fanbase loyal - just look at the 3D iPad Apple wheeled out that amounted to nothing! Halfdome is one of a dozen internal projects, though this one was thought by some management to warrant further investment - and the decision not to do that [be the new Facebook execs] saw departures (including many that worked on it in the first place). Those that tried to keep it alive claiming "...its going to be release soon", or "...its just round the corner, say 2020" - were fooling themselves. Shame. 

I still expect some great surprises up their sleeves for OC6 !  B)
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited June 13
    Oh that is a shame you getting the screen issues as well?
    edited June 13
    I have issues with it, my biggest concern is how hot it gets mate. And it keeps kicking me out of games to the steam grid.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

That must be hard considering how much you looked forward to it and the wait.
    Yeah cannot describe how I feel. The resolution almost made me keep it, almost. But 600 quid on a headset that is awash with issues, nah :(

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,399 Valuable Player
    Cheer up there's still google cardboard to fall back on. The only thing that can go wrong with that is if you drop it in a bowl of water. Even then there's nothing that a hot radiator won't sort out. :p
    What's the res like ? Good earphones ? I may order one !!!!

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,399 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    What's the res like ? Good earphones ? I may order one !!!!

Just depends on the resolution of your mobile phone. Google cardboard is rather uncomfortable on your face though and I don't think VR Cover has anything planned for Google cardboard. :p