cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

Anonymous
Not applicable
Obligatory "still getting white flashes on latest update" post. Just fyi. 

Also, @MowTin, yes for me it's a mix of white and colored static. I suppose it's more jarring in dark scenes, but unmissable for me anytime it happens.

Anonymous
Not applicable
My new available Intel Drivers using Auto-Search Internet were:
System Firmware
Software Guard Extensions (in Software)
Intel Management Interface
Software Guard Extensions (in Devices)
PCI Standard Host
PCI to PCI Bridge (6 of these)

mhajii210
Expert Protege

MAC_MAN86 said:

System Firmware
PCI Standard Host

What do you mean by Auto-Search Internet? My motherboard is ASRock ATX DDR3 1333 LGA 1150 Motherboards Z97 PRO4. I checked on ASRock and the chipset drivers listed are old and I already have the latest BIOS. What is the best way to check for Intel driver updates? Did you guys use this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html?

sraura
Heroic Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

System Firmware
PCI Standard Host

In my case they were found at https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-P/HelpDesk_Download/ but obviously (even if you did have same intel chipset) it is unlikely that you have same motherboard than me. So... find out the brand and model of your motherboard (or brand of your kit-computer) and check their homepage for possible updates.
There are universal intel management interface drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/69368/Intel-Management-Engine-Firmware-Intel-ME-FW- but... uncharted territory... and not sure if they work without bios update... However here you can find some more info about that: https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/129698-new-intel-management-engine-driver.html
This autodetect tool I ran just now and it looks to be rather safe to use: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

sraura said:

update:
After extensive testing I am now confident that this fixed my issues with white flashes. It also seems that overall stability of Oculus app has improved alot. To be honest - I have not been able to crash it anymore.

If you have intel chipset, you might want to try browising rather recent driver and firmware updates to your motherboard chipset which are tagged as "Intel new me updates" or "MEI intel". Also basic "stability updates" to your motherboard bios may help.

Just spent 2 hours in the S and no flashes.

I noticed there was an Oculus update this afternoon so I wonder if that's what fixed it. I'll need a few more hours to say for sure but there's definitely a chance it's sorted.

Note, I haven't changed any other drivers or settings.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
@DaftnDirect Well at least I'm on stable build of the oculus app and that has not updated today...

Now to be clear - if you are reading and following these instructions below - you are doing it on your own risk.

For further experiment I did bite the bullet and installed latest version of that universal intel management engine driver from this package "ME_SW_1909.12.0.1236.zip". Link on this post

It is bit tricky to install and package is huge.  But basically... You extract the package somewhere and run SetupME.exe from following directory "Cons\ME_SW_MSI".

At least it didn't brick my windows and update went smoothly.

Site says that the package is compatible with:
  •     Intel® Management Engine Firmware (Intel® ME FW)
  •     Intel® B150 Chipset
  •     Intel® B250 Chipset
  •     Intel® B360 Chipset
  •     Intel® B365 Chipset
  •     Intel® H110 Chipset
  •     Intel® H170 Chipset
  •     Intel® H270 Chipset
  •     Intel® H310 Chipset
  •     Intel® H370 Chipset
  •     Intel® Management Engine Interface (Intel® MEI)
  •     Intel® Q150 Chipset
  •     Intel® Q170 Chipset
  •     Intel® Q250 Chipset
  •     Intel® Q270 Chipset
  •     Intel® Q370 Chipset
  •     Intel® X299 Chipset
  •     Intel® Z170 Chipset
  •     Intel® Z270 Chipset
  •     Intel® Z370 Chipset
  •     Intel® Z390 Chipset
  •     Mobile Intel® HM170 Chipset
  •     Mobile Intel® HM175 Chipset
  •     Mobile Intel® HM370 Chipset
  •     Mobile Intel® QM170 Chipset
  •     Mobile Intel® QM175 Chipset
  •     Mobile Intel® QM370 Chipset
  •     Mobile Intel® QMS380 Chipset

At the point when I wrote this - haven't tested if this works as well as the version I got from Asus site (specifically to my own motherboard). If I experience any problems, will let you know as soon as possible.

Update:
    Unfortunately I got couple flashes with this during 1st hour. Seems that it needs matching firmware and as far as I understand, that is something motherboards or computers manufactured provides. Hence it is better to stick with drivers you might find from manufactures site. Try these only as a last resort if you do.

Anyways I didn't want to push my luck any further and rolled back to driver version which was working for me. As my rift s is working now - will not investigate this subject any further.

Hopefully we all find our solutions sooner rather than later.

Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Runtime 1.37, Win1809...
    Updated manually by auto-search online. Did a BIOS Update with the newly added FIRMWARE in Devices for convenience. Used the above link https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html and it picked up nothing new for any I already manually updated.
    TESTED E:D and still get Flashes in 5mins and every 10mins or so until an eventual crash when ONLY the outside Space colours goes B&W but the cockpit is in colour. In Station too and then games crash. Goes to Home and then Blackscreen and must use SETTINGS>BETA>RESTART to recover.

Anonymous
    Not applicable
    @sraura

Ensured that everything on my system is completely updated using every resource intel makes available, no dice. Got first flash after about 45 minutes. Repeated this in multiple games after restarting pc and restarting oculus just to cover my bases. Flashes every time. 

Glad it seems to have fixed your issue though. 

If anyone on the beta branch can confirm if the latest version of the Oculus app (1.38.0.255343) has cured their flashes, or hasn't cured it, that would be useful. It looked to have cured mine but I'll need to do a couple more hours test later before I'm sure.

Anonymous
    Not applicable
    I thought mine was cured but then got one after 50 minutes or so. Bloody thing lol  😄