cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Touch Controller positional tracking timeout on slow movements (1.37.0.245188)

Tuuvas
Explorer

As seen in the below gifs, there appears to be some sort of timeout for positional tracking of the new touch controllers. If I'm making slow movements, the touch controllers appear to be "lost" and cause massive issues with position; however, performing the exact same movement only a little faster produces no issues.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Install fresh batteries

2. Restart Oculus Software via Settings -> Beta -> Restart Oculus

3. Launch any software as long as you can see your hands

4. Hold hand out in-front of you

5. Begin turning very slowly as seen in below gifs

• Expected Results: no tracking loss

• Actual Results: tracking loss, but only on slow movements

ga9kh73tx5q7.gif
d4izo8n0u4y8.gif
hju3zm05nsi1.gif
42 REPLIES 42

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Well... unfortunately my touch controllers seem to be working fine on 1.37.0.245188. Can't repeat what u show on those gifs.
Another mystery there...

Tuuvas
Explorer

sraura said:

Well... unfortunately my touch controllers seem to be working fine on 1.37.0.245188. Can't repeat what u show on those gifs.
Another mystery there...

This is more easily reproduced when using something like a gunstock to keep things steady.  One way to simulate this is to pretend you're holding a pistol with two hands very very steadily... as if trying to line up a headshot from 30 yards.  Then pretend that person is walking slowly left and right while you continue to track them with the ironsights.

Wardogc81
Protege
I have exactly the same problem I have the protuve vr and cannot use it because of that, when I try to follow some one and try to do a precise shoot I lose tracking in less than 5 seconds, it is extremely annoying.

Any way to get support for this? This doesn't happen on the CV1

Koiz
Honored Guest
So I was able to reproduce this with the latest update.

I noticed something in Onward... when I was backed to a wall where you clip and the controllers rumble the controllers never stopped tracking. I would hold it the same way and move back and forth, if it wasn't rumbling then it would stop tracking, if it was rumbling it wouldn't stop tracking at all. All while pointing it at the same position.

Its not a huge deal breaker at the moment for me but its going to be frustrating when it actually impacts a potential shot. 

This is using a protube, and there is ZERO occlusion. 

Wardogc81
Protege
For me is a huge deal breaker because every time I'm steady waiting for someone to show across the street the tracking fails and cannot aim properly until I move the controller a little bit 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Seems like this is a general issue with the current controller tracking firmware, the problem also seems to occur on the Quest: https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/bx0lio/controller_tracking_issue_with_slow_and_subtle/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tuuvas said:

As seen in the below gifs, there appears to be some sort of timeout for positional tracking of the new touch controllers. If I'm making slow movements, the touch controllers appear to be "lost" and cause massive issues with position; however, performing the exact same movement only a little faster produces no issues.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Install fresh batteries

2. Restart Oculus Software via Settings -> Beta -> Restart Oculus

3. Launch any software as long as you can see your hands

4. Hold hand out in-front of you

5. Begin turning very slowly as seen in below gifs

• Expected Results: no tracking loss

• Actual Results: tracking loss, but only on slow movements

ga9kh73tx5q7.gif
d4izo8n0u4y8.gif
hju3zm05nsi1.gif

I have contacted the developer support with the exact same issue on Quest (described in the reddit post that is linked in the comment above), here is the response:

"Very slow motions are likely triggered by our motion detector, which is used to help prevent tracking glitches when the user puts the controllers on their desk. We are looking into adjusting our thresholds and parameters to see if we can improve the experience for these edge cases."

Apparently, they are afraid of error drift or other tracking glitches and therefore ignore the camera tracking input once the IMU of the controllers stop detecting large enough changes. A simple fix, in my opinion, would be to check if the suer is still touching the controllers via the capacitive touch buttons. But since this is a firmware issue, we can only wait and see what happens.

I would like to encourage you to open a support ticket yourself, so that they know you are affected as well.

Wardogc81
Protege
Yea I will do it because for me the protuvevr is not usable, I'm happy that at least they almost fixed the issue with aiming when your controller is to close to the headset tracking is almost perfect now except for this issue I still cannot use the gunstock precisely

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same problem using the latest update.  Happens if you move too slow or don't move it at all. This is a serious problem in my opinion that will effect most games. You don't necessarily realize that it isn't tracking your controller because its stationary anyway. But if you need any kind of quick movement from a stationary position it will never happen.