New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

White Static Flashes in Rift S

Comments

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,180
    Wintermute
    I've just updated to the newest version of PTC - I'll pop my thoughts in later if it has made any difference, particularly to the odd flashes.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 122
    Art3mis
    edited June 2019
    no the snow problem isn't gone with the latest beta also all drivers are updated on my pc and I still get the snow static every 20 minutes or so.
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    Same here, still got white flashes and colored ones too. Intermittent.
  • AlexAtkinUKAlexAtkinUK Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    RG4520 said:
    Obligatory "still getting white flashes on latest update" post. Just fyi. 

Also, @MowTin, yes for me it's a mix of white and colored static. I suppose it's more jarring in dark scenes, but unmissable for me anytime it happens.
    I had the white from the start but its suddenly coloured static every time now after applying the Windows 10 May update.  I find it somewhat more annoying than the white was, although not a deal breaker compared to the many issues other people are having.

I did have the cameras lockup once after the update but a reboot seems to have sorted that.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,916 Valuable Player
    I'm getting a little tired of unplugging and rebooting. 

What if they never fix this and we're past our refund period?
    i7 9700k 2080ti   CV1, Rift-S, Index
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    Thing is... even tho there are clearly issues on oculus software/firmware, it is still good to turn every stone while trying to figure out why is it that someone elses computer runs it well and mine does not. One of the basic procedures obviously includes updating windows and graphic card drivers, but it should also include visiting motherboard or computer manufacturers site and checking the available driver and firmware updates there. If the problem lays there - no universal code on oculus software can fix the issue.

And this was not directed to anyone specific - just saying... Manufacturers publish those updates for reason.
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    Guys I have tried everything listed on the support site and everything I could think of with no luck. I even tried Oculus Homeless, removing overclock and going back to default, and making sure BIOS and drivers are all up-to-date. I am still getting the same static flashes (2-3 per hour) as day 1 with no change whatsoever. I just submitted a ticket in case support will want me to try a new cable. My return window from Amazon ends 6/22 and I'm getting worried here. No one seems to know if this is a software or hardware issue. 
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    Well after I found a way to get rid of the flashes - leaning strongly to the software issue side.

...and event if it isn't - should be covered by warranty.
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    @sraura

As I've said before, really glad you were able to solve your flashing issue. Having said that:

Checking your motherboard and chip-set manufacturer's website for updates is PC owner 101 super basic stuff. Stop talking about it like you've discovered the secret formula to Coca Cola. 
  • AlexAtkinUKAlexAtkinUK Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    Its my understand that in most cases, manufacturers do not customise the drivers at all - they are just direct copies from the chipset vendors.  The difference seen is most likely to be that board/laptop manufacturers usually trail behind the latest versions.

I've always used generic chipset vendor drivers over manufacturers, as manufacturers tend to stop updating their support pages after a year or two while vendors keep releasing indefinitely.
    Trinity
    RG4520 said:
    @sraura

As I've said before, really glad you were able to solve your flashing issue. Having said that:

Checking your motherboard and chip-set manufacturer's website for updates is PC owner 101 super basic stuff. Stop talking about it like you've discovered the secret formula to Coca Cola. 
    I'm sorry if I made u think that. Wasn't my intention at all. And yes it is basic stuff for many people - agreed right there.

The thing what I "discovered" was that iME version can in some cases cause flashes or in some cases - cure them. The reason behind this remains unknown to me. Someone with deeper knowledge about that might be able to cook some conclusions up.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    "I'd rather be a Hammer than a Nail" (or a Landlord as I am)
    Trinity
    Its my understand that in most cases, manufacturers do not customise the drivers at all - they are just direct copies from the chipset vendors.  The difference seen is most likely to be that board/laptop manufacturers usually trail behind the latest versions.

I've always used generic chipset vendor drivers over manufacturers, as manufacturers tend to stop updating their support pages after a year or two while vendors keep releasing indefinitely.
    AFAIK - on desktop computers resellers (board/computer manufacturer) driver may contain some modifications, but in most cases the core driver is same than generic chipset manufacturers driver. Resellers drivers are in many cases older and not necessarily even updated like u said. On laptop computers it is a shot into dark - you may get lucky with vendor driver - or then not.
    There are couple reasons why resellers drivers are safer. Other is that they have been usually internally tested to work with the hardware. Second is that they are "supported" which means a lot for many people who may need support.
    But to get most out of the hardware - like you said -  chipset manufacturers drivers are usually the best choice. Specially on computers which have been built from scratch (not brand computer).
    Both choices are better than default windows drivers, which are in many cases stripped-down versions of resellers drivers. They may also be lacking behind on versions.
  • KessUsagiKessUsagi Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    For me the most recent update has "Fixed" the controller tracking and static snow in the pass-through. Played beat saber and a couple other vr games without the loosing tracking for 3 hour which is a major improvement from the 2-4 minute tracking and static lockup.....however the white flashes like what is described here is what I'm getting like once every 10-15 minutes. 

...I hope I just didn't jinx myself by posting this...if I did I will then update and nyx this post.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,720 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2019
    mhajii210 said:
    Guys I have tried everything listed on the support site and everything I could think of with no luck. I even tried Oculus Homeless, removing overclock and going back to default, and making sure BIOS and drivers are all up-to-date. I am still getting the same static flashes (2-3 per hour) as day 1 with no change whatsoever. I just submitted a ticket in case support will want me to try a new cable. My return window from Amazon ends 6/22 and I'm getting worried here. No one seems to know if this is a software or hardware issue. 

My advice is, if you're approaching the end of your return window and you're not confident the issue will be fixed, return it. I'd give the same advice for anything purchased that isn't performing as you'd expected.

I had a similar experience with a GPS sports watch that had its battery life severely reduced by a firmware update that wasn't getting resolve with subsequent firmware. So as it was getting to a month of the 2 year warranty period running out, back it went. You won't thank anyone for telling you it'll be fixed if it isn't.

I'll be keeping my Rift-S  though as my confidence is high in this instance (the flashes on mine seemed to have reduced to the point that I haven't had one in the last 2 hours of use) but it's a personal choice.

Edit: Also it's worth taking into account that you're not limited to the 30 day Amazon return policy. The seller's guarantee period is also in place with Oculus (2 years here in the EU), although of course you'd have to go through the support ticket process and try all the things they suggest before getting to the point that a return is authorised.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1909 (18363.836)
  • mashermetsmashermets Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    Got the same issue with my rift s, tried everything other than beta software to fix it! Support ticket coming yr with oculus lol. Anyone heard oculus stance on this!?! 
  • ZaharielZahariel Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Latest update from my support ticket was to ship out out a replacement cable and then close the ticket as solved. I gave it two days but I'm still getting flashes so I've reopened the ticket and we'll see what they say next. They may request I return the HMD and I have a bad feeling that if I do, my replacement will have the dreaded black screen issue...

Fortunately though I use my HMD daily, it's not for lengthy periods, mainly BeatSabre and the like. I am holding off on buying in depth games until this is fixed as I tend to get flashes every 15 to 20 mins.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,180
    Wintermute
    With the latest PTC update the random flashes appear to be reduced considerably, but not yet eradicated.   I also had to re-apply the sound enhancements on the properties for the 'Rift Headphones' to return sound to its normal levels/quality
    (loud & good!)  I run them at 70% - never any issue, I don't think anyone would expect any sort of quality running at 100%, would they?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • john.zigmontjohn.zigmont Posts: 122
    Art3mis
    edited June 2019
    This is my second oculus rift s I got the original replaced with a new one. Same static flashes 2 to 3 an hour everything is up to date. I have tried every suggestion  in the forum this is a oculus software issue I opened a ticket but this far from plug n play more time wasted on trouble shooting then playing.

I tried oculus homeless and this don't work either on both headsets.
  • D3ft0neD3ft0ne Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Ya i wanted to send my back, but no way , i will just wait until they resolve it, and if not , i am still enjoying this HMD too much to get rid of it.
  • profanicusprofanicus Posts: 13
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    Zahariel said:
    Latest update from my support ticket was to ship out out a replacement cable and then close the ticket as solved. I gave it two days but I'm still getting flashes so I've reopened the ticket and we'll see what they say next. 
    Why two days? In case software fixes it?

I received my replacement cable today and got a multi-coloured flash in Google Earth VR after about 10 minutes. Then another one 5 minutes later (very rough estimates). Going to re-open the ticket - wonder if it's now at the back of the queue! ;)

Will be interesting to see if they send replacement Rifts. If they know it's not fixing the problem, it can't be optimal!
    NerveGear
    Well my rift s is much better now but still getting a flash every hour or so. They must know what it is to improve it so much through software. Hopefully the next driver and patch combo will fix it completely? How often do they update software (new to oculus and vr) how is everyone else's rift s after update? :smile:
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,507 Valuable Player
    Well my rift s is much better now but still getting a flash every hour or so. They must know what it is to improve it so much through software. Hopefully the next driver and patch combo will fix it completely? How often do they update software (new to oculus and vr) how is everyone else's rift s after update? :smile:

Usually they only update the software once per month but when issues like this arise they step up the updates in an attempt to fix them, so we'll probably have several more updates coming.

And welcome to the forums! :)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    NerveGear
    Thanks Snowdon :smile: unsure if I should open dialogue with support or just trust they will fix this issue with update? I take it you have the same problem?  

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,507 Valuable Player
    Yup, I have the same problem. Best to contact support though, you never know, they might give us all Store Credit once they sort it all out.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • teddan00teddan00 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I also have the white static/flash once every 15 minutes or so. I opened a ticked and did everything they asked me to. Did NOT improve it :/
  • AnfronieAnfronie Posts: 16
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    teddan00 said:
    I also have the white static/flash once every 15 minutes or so. I opened a ticked and did everything they asked me to. Did NOT improve it :/

Same. 1.38 update didn't fix that issue. Hoping for the next update to fix it!
  • DDM_Reaper20DDM_Reaper20 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Ditto. I have those white flashes -- frequency changes, anywhere from every 15 minutes to every hour or so. 
    I really hope they fix that in the next firmware update. It's annoying. (Using Oculus Rift S). 

BTW, my update log states that I had first 1.38 and then 1.37. Weird.  :p
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    It seems they are reverting the Release back to 1.37 for now as requested.