Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

Anonymous
Not applicable
I moved from USB3.1 Gen2 to USB C (identical) and flashes still there. They also are releasing 1.38 now and it too has not fixed Flashes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RattyUK said:

@dburne  - you're doing better than me with your controllers, Don - mine are running the rechargeables down after around 3 days, optimistically it may be the batteries as they are over 2 years old now...
How is the replacement S working?

Replacement is great - especially after I finally figured out I had to disable my secondary monitor to keep those black screens from occurring on me ! Long as I have it disabled whilst using Rift S I am fine. Strangest thing, CV1 always did fine with both monitors running, and still does. But not my Rift S. I sure wish it would though as I prefer having the second monitor running even while using VR.

I do get occasional quick white flash, not too often though.

inovator
Consultant
The bottom line is the rift s was not ready to be released. I believe almost every single user has some of these issues.

RattyUK
Trustee
Just a short note:  I downloaded the latest PTC release last night, (256587) and played ED for just under 2 hours (it was quite late!) and had no static flashes at all during that session.  I've never had any audio issues (using the built-in speakes) so am unable to comment if there were any improvements there.

Positive, tentatively 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

mattydboom
Explorer
Always one to report positive as well as negative experiences.... I too can report that 1.38.0.256587 seems to have nailed all the problems I had been having :smile: 3hrs of playing a whole host of games and not one tracking fault or white static flash. I also think the Audio quality has come on massively since the 1.37 builds. Never will match headphone quality but for certain games it was just nice not to have something pressed on my ears and still be 'in the room' so to speak. 

glenmac2001
Explorer
1.38.0.256587  I am still getting white flashes

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
I'm on version 1.38.0.256587 and most problems have been resolved but I'm still getting white flashes.

inovator
Consultant
Those white flashes may be good Christmas time. 

Mnemonic
Protege
Hi guys, so what is the latest Firmware Version for Sirft S and Touch?
I see in the patchnote that there was a Firmware update, but I don't think I was updating my headset, I'm enrolled in public beta though, so I might got that earlier.

My firmware for Rift S: 1.7.1
and Touch is: 1.11.0
Is it the latest one at the moment?

I had several issues with Rift S in the beginning, but updates fixed most of them, and since I switched to single monitor configuration I don't have black screens either.
But I do have occasional static flashes! Sometimes it's once an hour, sometimes more frequent. Would love to get those fixed too.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mnemonic said:

Hi guys, so what is the latest Firmware Version for Sirft S and Touch?
I see in the patchnote that there was a Firmware update, but I don't think I was updating my headset, I'm enrolled in public beta though, so I might got that earlier.

My firmware for Rift S: 1.7.1
and Touch is: 1.11.0
Is it the latest one at the moment?

I had several issues with Rift S in the beginning, but updates fixed most of them, and since I switched to single monitor configuration I don't have black screens either.
But I do have occasional static flashes! Sometimes it's once an hour, sometimes more frequent. Would love to get those fixed too.

Well at least I know I am not the only one that has to switch to single monitor to prevent the black screens.
Support seemed to think I might be, and they marked my ticket as solved.
I have the occasional white flashes also.

Yes you are on the latest firmware.