cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Some very quick first impressions and that's without experimenting with Super-sampling.

Ok, well I have that horrible vertical line in my headset which hopefully I'll get fixed or replaced but despite that. Wow, just wow. One word..."clarity".

More words.

Very nice headset all-round. Reasonably comfy but that cable is awful. I mean really bad and terribly distracting. Needs to be fixed to something to not become a hindrance. Headphones feel cheap  and the red smear is not very good when you abnormally move your head from side to side all fast like. In normal situations you won't notice it so much. SDE is so minimal it's the finest mesh like silk. Mura is there for sure such as looking at the sky you will notice it quite a bit.

Fallout 4 VR - Holy crap. Now this is how it's meant to be seen. Mindblowing, and I rarely use such hyperbolic phrases. Up close detail you'll see the textures as you would playing on a monitor. Distance details are just perfect now. NO MORE BLUR you can easily define medium range and long range objects which gives the game a complete overhaul on the visuals. Wonderful and if you're a FO4VR fan then nothing beats this crisp display.  Period. 

PCARS 2 - Ok I struggled a little to find the right sweetspot and keep it there. But once there this is it guys. The game just looks like it's meant to be on this headset. Nice details on the track and close up cars. Distant cars also look much better, they still can get fuzzy but none of that blur you might be used to. This is pretty awesome now and just looks great.

SLR APP/Movie viewing - Nice sharp visuals but you are restricted to the quality of the source material. The SLR thumbnails look fantastically crisp and the videos great. I ran a 4K gameplay video from one of my recordings and it looks really nice, so much clearer than any other VR headset. So if you have 4K movies then they are going to shine on this headset. I tried some older 1080p 3D movies but they didn't look much different to other headsets.

Desktop - wow now this is really nice. You can actually work with this now. Comfortably. See all the text and no shimmer or SDE to mess up your view. Really workable as an alternative to a monitor now. Nice vibrant colours and good contrast. I do notice what seems to be a fixed foveted rendering technique though where the center focus is incredibly sharp and when you move your eyes and head to another part of the screen it seems to catch up and then focus really sharp.I think HP talked about this with the way the screens are calibrated. 

Elite Dangerous: OK you're still getting these LCD blacks but the text readability is fantastic now without a shadow of a doubt. No distorted letters even in the info pane which has the smallest text it's easy to read, no leaning in. I just docked with one of the space stations and whilst there is still some shimmer on some finer lines/edges (there's a technical name for that which escapes me) it's nice a crisp and looks like a space station rather than a blurry mess of lights and protracting parts. Really clean. Upon entering the opening into the docking area...mind-blown! I really loved the extended FOV of the Pimax 8K in Elite D, made it feel more real, but I think I would sacrifice that for this wonderful clarity. I'll say it again if Pimax 8K X delivers the FOV and the same clarity then wowsers. I'm not holding my breath though, focusing on the here and now.

Even with the negatives, I can see this being a really great headset for the VR connoisseur. I am wondering how close the Pimax 8KX can match this as its increased FOV will stretch the pixel density. Either way, £600 well spent thus far and I will no doubt get lots of use from this headset and sadly the Pimax 8K will get boxed. Quest/Reverb combo for the win here for anyone serious about VR.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
376 REPLIES 376

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So when I get this headset is there anything I need to do besides this? Cheers!
1) Headset will automatically install software for WMR once plugged in.
2) Head over to Steam and install the program for WMR
3) Install OpenXR

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I haven't got openxr yet, been too busy having fun !!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The HP Reverb looks like it's suffering with some problems now. What with Rift S blank screens and white flashes, I thought 3 years on from Rift CV1 that things like that would be a thing of the past. My Rift CV1 has never had these issues with the displays.
Have any of you had these issues with the HP Reverb?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

The HP Reverb looks like it's suffering with some problems now. What with Rift S blank screens and white flashes, I thought 3 years on from Rift CV1 that things like that would be a thing of the past. My Rift CV1 has never had these issues with the displays.
Have any of you had these issues with the HP Reverb? 

Been hearing the reports - saw some comments on the VR-Cade forum that there are issues [what RTVR based their report on] and they will enact a call back - shame.

You are right, hopes with the likes of Sony and Samsung in the game the build quality would have been better - seems the small margins means you get the B-team!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I pre -ordered the HP Reverb. Their Customer service tell me they will be back in stock at the end of June in the UK, but I feel like pulling the plug on it until some of these companies get their act together. Yes I have a 2 year warrenty, but I don't want to have to keep sending something back if it's flaky.
Why are these headsets having all these faults? Do these companies even test them or are we still beta testers like we were in the Dk1 & Dk2 days? I get that people only come to the forums if there are faults a lot of the time and there might be good headsets out there, but these faults sound like hardware faults or design faults if you ask me.
@Kevin729 - I thought they had already recalled them once? So is this the second time they are doing it?
Edit: Just saw it's the consumer HP Reverb that some people are having problems with. That's strange though because I thought the only difference between the consumer and pro version was the face padding and an extra cable you get with the pro version.

Luciferous
Consultant
actually my dk1 is still working fine, mind you there was not a lot to go wrong with them then.

Wildt
Consultant
I should be getting mine any day now, but with my luck, I'll most likely get a faulty unit as well. Fingers crosses though.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

forestguy
Expert Protege
I recently purchased the HP Reverb and after initially being impressed
with the clarity the FOV really got on my nerves, I also have the Quest
and it is similar in FOV. People could say what they like about the
Pimax but the 130-170 FOV is amazing, I didn’t think I would miss it, it
is just not a good trade off. The HP Reverb is physically well built better
than the Pimax, however the the Reverb still has issues mine had
intermittent blinking, also the sound coming from the headphones was
intermittent as well which is not good. Even with the 3rd Party DAS the
Pimax sound works as it should, Also the tracking is not very good
either. I have actually sent my HP Reverb back today, I’m so pleased
they are giving me a refund because nearly £600 is a lot of money. The
grass is definitely not always greener. The Quest for me was a better
investment, the USP is wireless out the box which is excellent, it is
well built and has no issues. The bonus for the quest is as long as you
have a good internet connection you can stream PC games wirelessly and
trust me it is nearly as good quality as the Vive Pro etc. and it works
very well. The Quest is definitely staying.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@forestguy - But what is the clarity like when you compare the HP Reverb to the Oculus Quest? I'm guessing the HP Reverb wins hands down does it not?
I think this intermittent blinking and other things you mention is why HP might be delaying them again imo. HP customer service are very polite, but they are not good at giving you the information you require. The UK based company said they don't know of any problems with the VR headsets and they will be back in stock at some point in the future. When I said they told me yesterday that they would be in stock by the end of June. They just said they didn't know when they would be back in stock now.
I thanked them for letting me make a decision on getting a Geforce 2080ti early, When they in-fact they didn't know when they would be back in stock or when these problems would be ironed out with their headsets. Now my Geforce 2080ti just sits here doing nothing because I don't even have a 4k television. I could have waited for the Super thing that's coming from Nvidia had I known that HP were going to give me the run around.
What I would like to know is why HP are telling RTVR one thing and their customers another thing?