cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 1.38 Release Rolling Out Now

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
The latest Rift system software v1.38 is beginning to roll out, and we wanted to take a moment to share an update on our development progress. This release contains a number of fixes for issues that some Rift S users reported, most notably a reduction in black screen occurrences and improvements to audio quality. Over the course of the 1.38 PTC, we released 3 additional stability updates to the software. These updates were directly informed by the feedback we received from the community members who opted into the PTC. Thank you so much for all your help, and please continue to utilize the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. Please note that 1.38 does not resolve all reported Rift S issues as some are still being investigated and debugged, including the white / static flashing issue and sporadic instances of tracking loss. Our team greatly appreciates your patience while we work on these outstanding issues. We will continue to share updates with the community as we have them. Thank you!

Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
258 REPLIES 258

sraura
Heroic Explorer
sounds promising 🙂

ShocksVR
Superstar

Hey Showbizdonkey, Absolutely no improvement with white and coloured flashes in 1.38 on my rift S. Can you let us know if theres a real effort going on to resolve this, as I cant sell my CV1 yet in case the Rift S has to be returned. Which I dont want to do as in other respects it`s awesome.

It's right in the first post:
Please note that 1.38 does not resolve all reported Rift S issues as
some are still being investigated and debugged, including the white /
static flashing issue and sporadic instances of tracking loss

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm,interestingly the new update causes my controllers (using rift s) freeze into midair, not moving an inch, though rotating works fine. Dowloaded older update (1.37 I believe) which worked like a charm. Gave second try for new update but was met with same issues again...

I'm on 1.37 and got same issue. I do think it was the Windows Update 2days ago. This has broken it completely.

60waxffwzw7c.png

D3ft0ne
Protege
I had updated everything having to do with my PC - video drivers / motherboard drivers/ chip set drivers, flashed the BIOS even. The only change i had noticed - > After updating Oculus to beta version, the flashes changed from Black and withe to mainly color, and happen less frequent.  This is not related to my movement around the room (which i though might be causing a cable tug). 
I really hope its soft / firmware fixable, like my headset too much to even send it back for exchange.

Anonymous
Not applicable
RIFT S AUDIO:

I'm bloody right! Although my Oculus is presently screwed up by Windows and trying to change around the USB3.1 to USB C for convenience [turns out to be a bad connection with that Adapter and it was losing the Hub], my Windows also Updated a Pending Realtek Audio Driver I despise to hell and must Uninstall it plus then run a Regscanner to remove 2 remaining files that reside in Tasks whilst in Safe Mode. It also installs MAX AUDIO by WAVES and that is totally shite! It both compresses and enhances the treble and ruins the Stereo Picture in the process BUT (and here's the discovery!) IT DROPS THE VOLUME BY 1/3 exactly the same as the RIFT S ONBOARD SHITTY AUDIO! 
There you have it. I go back to the generic High Definition Audio and boooooooooooooooom! It is 1/3 louder!!!
Although this bastard of a Driver (Realtek) will try to update it again on each Reboot if it is not completely removed from the PC by the said method. 
Go figure! RIFT S is same! They need to remove the Limiting/Compression and any enhancement it has in the Driver.
And I must apologise for being blunt but it gives us shit so it deserves little respect for being there! Like a farmer that works with shit...it is what it is! That is an English word and it can not be removed from emotional expression. Solve this then I can relax 😉

AlexAtkinUK
Protege

MAC_MAN86 said:

RIFT S AUDIO:

I'm bloody right! Although my Oculus is presently screwed up by Windows and trying to change around the USB3.1 to USB C for convenience, my Windows also Updated a Pending Realtek Audio Driver I bloody despise to hell and must Uninstall it plus then run a Regscanner to remove 2 remaining files that reside in Tasks whilst in Safe Mode. It also installs MAX AUDIO by WAVES and that is totally shite! It both compresses and enhances the treble and ruins the Stereo Picture in the process BUT (and here's the discovery!) IT DROPS THE VOLUME BY 1/3 exactly the same as the RIFT S ONBOARD SHITTY AUDIO! 
There you have it. I go back to the generic High Definition Audio and boooooooooooooooom! It is 1/3 louder!!!
Although this bastard of a Driver (Realtek) will try to update it again on each Reboot if it is not completely removed from the PC by the said method. 
Go figure! RIFT S is same! They need to remove the Limiting/Compression and any enhancement it has in the Driver.
And I must apologise for being blunt but it gives us shit so it deserves little respect for being there! Like a farmer that works with shit...it is what it is! That is an English word and it can not be removed from emotional expression. Solve this then I can relax 😉

As I've said before, limits are sometimes for hardware reasons.  Removing the limit could break the speakers, or maybe draw too much current.

Just because the amp can output more power, doesn't necessarily mean the speakers were designed to handle it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
As said, this RIFT S Driver is Peak Limiting from 50% as though they intended it to be a Compressor. The full range of Volume should be available and without Limiting/Compression in that range. What they used is certainly a Peak Limiter and these are hard ratios of compression. Obviously we do not wish to hear a processed sound for half of the range! A Peak Limiter simply does it's job to stop odd clips above 100%. By using it for constant peak levels it is over working all audio and altering the balance. That is NOT what any Audio Playing Device should do and yet they did the same on the Realtek ONLY due to designing it for tiny Speakers on Laptops which are not proper speakers as such but tweeters. Then DELL used the exact same Drivers and put them on Desktops! Shit design and totally without professional knowledge of the damage that has to Users when they want pure Audio in Studio Speakers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
2nd game at Pokerstars after removing some Intel installs from 2days ago which never registered in Devices, I use RIFT S Audio and I hear it start to compress very hard which made levels very low to hear across the table. Next it just crashes! RIFT S Audio is seriously not designed properly for use. If it has a Limiter in 1.38 I send it back !!!

KnightMason
Protege
Enable CV1 sensor please? Tracking dead zones is a must for Archery and scopes in games. And there are many titles with both mechanics.

stevensred5
Explorer
New update & firmware sorted me perfectly (volume is tooo low though) played now for hours with no glitching at all (maybe 2 white statics) I can live with this...if you cup your hands over your ears the sound is awsome !!!!IMO.....I'm thinking egg cartons & sticky back plastic fashioned in a Blue Peter way, as long as no one sees me...Well done Oculus, never thought I would say that this week.