cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the motivation for a dev to make an experience for the Quest?

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer
I can't imagine spending days and months making an experience for this device with little to no clue what is expected of the experience and possibly be shut down with no explanation. At least someone like Apple will tell you what you need to do to be on their walled garden store. I'm no developer but I can't imagine being motivated to put the work in to even get something ready to submit to Oculus! ?
33 REPLIES 33

An app crashing on a user isn't necessarily an indication of poor quality. If it crashed on lots of users though, that would be an indication.

I sometimes fall into the trap of thinking a bad experience for me is therefore a bad experience, period. But then I remember the world is bigger than me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@DaftnDirect - Other users were experiencing the same problem as myself as well as microphone issues on quest and other headsets. But if Facebook have this strict guidelines for devs how did bigscreen managed to pass the process. Its full of bugs and I'd have thought Facebook would refused the app until it was fixed. It's not acceptable to release an app that crashes all the time.

CrashFu
Consultant
BigScreen has also been one of the most popular apps since the dawn of modern VR, and the developers patch and update it on a very frequent basis;   So even if there are some launch issues with the Quest port, Oculus is going to trust them to sort it out.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Which would require tons of work to get shut down.

Getting shut down is a good life lesson. Those who will end up truly successful will head back to the drawing board, and use their failures to their advantage as they... try again.

Anyone who is afraid to "get shut down" is someone that is creating their own barrier to success. Here are some great Bruce Lee quotes to set the frame of mind properly:

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

“A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”

“Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.”

“Know the difference between a catastrophe and an inconvenience. To realize that it’s just an inconvenience, that it is not a catastrophe, but just an unpleasantness, is part of coming into your own, part of waking up.”

Yeah well then we aren't gonna have a hell of a lot of content. Plus a lot of content people want is being rejected so... ?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Yeah well then we aren't gonna have a hell of a lot of content.
Quality over Quantity.

Plus,
Oculus Quest Content Library ‘On Target To Hit 100+ Games’ This Year

Plus a lot of content people want is being rejected so...

I don't really sympathize with the needs of the common folk. Once you start to blindly accommodate "what people want" is when you start serving Poopoo Platters.

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Yeah well then we aren't gonna have a hell of a lot of content.
Quality over Quantity.

Plus,
Oculus Quest Content Library ‘On Target To Hit 100+ Games’ This Year

Plus a lot of content people want is being rejected so...

I don't really sympathize with the needs of the common folk. Once you start to blindly accommodate "what people want" is when you start serving Poopoo Platters.

Quantity over quality but you don't care about quality content being rejected? ?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Quantity over quality but you don't care about quality content being rejected? ?

What you may personally call quality may not actually be true quality. If your quality content gets rejected, try again using Quality Improvement techniques. We already covered that part.

Failrunner
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

What you may personally call quality may not actually be true quality. If your quality content gets rejected, try again using Quality Improvement techniques. We already covered that part.

You will defend anything Oculus does. If the majority of people like the game and want it it's quality to me. I didn't see anyone saying they weren't didn't want games like"To the top" which i'm sure you will say sucks because your an Oculus slave.?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

You will defend anything Oculus does.

So you ran out of counter-arguments and want to start with the emotional stuff? Try to focus on the topic. If you make this a 1v1 with me, you're going to fail, runner.

I have criticized Oculus heavily in the past, especially when it came to taking the Rift CV1 in to the current Rift-S direction. I referred to it as a "downgrade" because I was not convinced that Inside-Out tracking was on par with the external sensor tracking. I will gladly provide critique when it is warranted. But just blindly jumping on a cynical bandwagon is nothing that anyone should strive to do.

If the majority of people like the game and want it it's quality to me.

So you let others define quality for you? You embrace the Hive Mind? Then why are you opposed to letting Oculus define quality for you as well? You contradict yourself.

I
didn't see anyone saying they weren't didn't want games like"To the
top" which i'm sure you will say sucks because your an Oculus slave.

Nah, it just seems like you're a slave to failure. You are basically arguing against self-improvement. You are getting upset because you think that no one should get rejected. And instead of stepping back and realizing that getting rejecting is an opportunity to improve, you're simply letting the failure cause you to run away from success; Failrunner.

Not to mention that you just admitted that you willingly allow others to dictate to you what entails Quality. That's you willingly being a slave.

CrashFu
Consultant
You have a very strange definition of "the majority".

Last I checked, "the majority" prefer good, high-quality games over zero-budget, zero-effort shovelware.   And that's who the Quest is intended for: mainstream consumers who expect a minimum standard of quality for the money they're spending.

If you want to play 1-star shovelware titles so badly, go get an HTC Vive and install SteamVR.  You'll have more shovelware than you could play in a lifetime.

:kissing_heart:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.