cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I return my Rift S

morningland
Protege
I've been moderately pleased with my Rift S, but I am wondering if I shouldn't have adopted it so early.
Is there any benefit to returning it now while I can and re buying it in a few months when some of the hardware issues are worked out?  Basically I'm wondering if you think Oculus will make hardware improvements over the next couple months and if that is enough reason to return it and wait for those improvements
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I doubt the hardware is going to change, and if it does then they would RMA everyone's current headsets. The issues that some headsets are having with black displays and white flashes appear to be software based rather than hardware issues I think. Might as well stick with it and wait for Oculus to sort these issues out, that's what I'm doing.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I would refund if your not happy mate, you can always buy it again later or keep your options open. 

I really can't see them fixing the tracking for all the different types of games that have tracking issues.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

jayhawk
Superstar

I've been moderately pleased with my Rift S, but I am wondering if I shouldn't have adopted it so early.
Is there any benefit to returning it now while I can and re buying it in a few months when some of the hardware issues are worked out?  Basically I'm wondering if you think Oculus will make hardware improvements over the next couple months and if that is enough reason to return it and wait for those improvements

its what I did. doesn't hurt, especially since it will even get cheaper down the road. it was an easy decision for me though considering i'm just not as giddy about VR like I used to be.

falken76
Expert Consultant
I would return it and wait until the reviews say it's good, until then you're just wasting your return window and warranty.  I won't buy one until FPS games actually work.  The Virtual Gun Stock solution doesn't sound appealing because it would make me play all those games in a completely different way.  So I'll wait and see if anyone ever confirms that Rift S is good for FPS, there are too many people saying it sucks and a few that come in and say "It doesn't suck, if you hold the gun in an awkward position you never would in the first place it plays just fine"

The question is - Did you sell your CV1 to get this?  So if you return it you no longer have any VR?  Can you go without VR while you hope for Oculus to fix the issue.  I'd return it because I don't think it's going to get fixed anytime soon and your return window will probably expire long before an acceptable fix is made.  Just keep an eye on those user reviews, others can't be trusted because there are shills everywhere now.  They want the free swag so to insure that keeps coming in, bad reviews are few and far between.  There's no excuse for the lack of mention to how extremely bad Rift S is for FPS games, but user reviews sure did jump on that right away.....

jayhawk
Superstar

falken76 said:

"It doesn't suck, if you hold the gun in an awkward position you never would in the first place it plays just fine"

Shooting arrows works just fine too, you just have to draw into your chest instead of the side of your face.....

morningland
Protege
Thanks for all the input.  Yeah, I'm probably going to return it.  I have a PSVR and there are at least five non VR games I want to play before Borderlands comes out in September and with that I will have my hands full for a while.  I have another week until I need to return it so I will play the last few games I purchased on the oculus and wait a while longer.  Maybe buy it on black Friday. 

I was also planning on defector and Asgards wrath to come out soon but after e3 passed with no update I'm not really getting my hopes up on those coming out anytime soon.

RattyUK
Trustee
With the CV1 I could switch my PC on in the morning and pick up the Rift anytime, put it on and use it, be it an hour or 12 hours later.
Sadly the Rift S is currently not in the same league, I can switch my machine on, maybe have to restart the Oculus software 3 times for the S to not drop to 'Right Controller battery Low' or 'Display Port not Connected' and be useable.  Then probably go through the same scenario each time I leave it unused for an hour or two.
The S is a noticable improvement on the CV1 in many ways, but the current round of software and Firmware fixes have left it just too much bother to want to keep it in the hope of a breakthrough!
The sad thing is that the fixes are improving some, but breaking others...  I think I'll wait for all fixes to be in place before buying again.
I've not came to the forum screaming in bold and block capitals... o:)

It is being returned solely as I wasn't prepared to allow the 30 day refund window to pass.  I'm certain it will be sorted out in the end...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

patrickbitton66
Explorer
I have been trying to return my Rift S for a week now and support is ignoring me. I have sent them numerous messages and all the tickets are updated as "SOLVED" without a response.
This is not good customer service.

jayhawk
Superstar

I have been trying to return my Rift S for a week now and support is ignoring me. I have sent them numerous messages and all the tickets are updated as "SOLVED" without a response.
This is not good customer service.

Why I bought from Best Buy.