Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

Anonymous
Not applicable
Win1809 and I stopped Major updates to 1903 for now by Channel Selection but got an Update yesterday. I also switched USB3.1(2) port to USB C, I got no colour in Elite except menus so did a Repair and reverted the USB again (which when in USB3 Card lost tracking). Now I have lost all tracking of Touch and Head tracking gets lost also. Right now it can't be used and is looking to be a Refund if the spare cable does not fix it.

lordsherman
Honored Guest
Is there any update on this.  I see this issue started since it was released but I only just now in the past week started having this issue?  Is it worth my time to just get it replaced?

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer

Is there any update on this.  I see this issue started since it was released but I only just now in the past week started having this issue?  Is it worth my time to just get it replaced?

I highly recommend just replacing it. You'll spend weeks messaging oculus support and ultimately that's what they will have you do and itll take even longer through them. They have knowledge of the issue so I'm sure they are just trying to fix it as fast as they can behind closed doors, that way they dont make themselves look bad.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
It might be that most USB related issues are buried to windows 10 code. Since I updated to windows 10 I am still waiting the day when same devices behave as well as they did on windows 7 (on same hardware). Won't go to details, but there are certain USB-related issues which windows 10 brought with it and those are clearly results of bad coding. Personally I believe that the team which rewrote the power saving functionality clearly made some errors during the process.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Windows 10 came as a forced update to be "Green" by using less power. Although it doesn't work well.

hellbringeranus
Explorer
So after having issues like the OP for my first two oculus rift S's. I was getting worried that it might be my PC at fault. However now on the third unit and strangely enough it works perfectly without making any changes. Have been using it now for 16 hours over 4 days. Maybe an issue might occur later but seeing as the other 2 were unplayable for longer than 10-50 mins it's weird. Only thing that was noticable different between all 3 was the manufacturing date third one being manufactured in may other in april

hangbill
Explorer
Had the S for a few weeks, all well. Last night lost tracking and passthrough snowy, cant see room. It happened after I had loaded Landfall and was trying to use the X-Box 1 controller (which works fine on the rift). Anyway could not get the controller to work, but then ran into this tracking prob. Not sure if related but for sure happened at same time. Another observation - run a 1080 and have a temp gauge. Often get messg "temp exceeds 82 and might shorten card life". Have not paid too much attention to this but suppose I should look into it.
Anyway this morning tried it and all's fine again, tracking and passthrough all good.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Yep... it is important to sometimes check how much dust has piled to your fans inside the computer. Also softwares like msi afterburner can be used to build custom cooling profiles for gpu, which in many cases can help lowering the temperatures. If modern gpu exceeds certain temperature, it usually throttles down to protect the hardware. This may cause all kind of performance issues.

Vuul
Honored Guest
Finally seem to have sorted my issue out.

before my rift would lose touch tracking and the pass trough cameras would stop working within minutes of using the HMD. I've played skyrim vr and tabletop simulator for a little over an hour without any issues so far. don't take it as gospel, but if my issue returns i'll update my post.

my Rift is plugged into my Asmedia USB 3.1 gen 2 port and even after all this still shows up as "Generic superspeed USB Hub" in device manager instead of Rift S Usb hub.
Here's what I did.

• Turned off USB powersaving and made sure the computer couldn't put any of my usb ports asleep to save power
  • Uninstalled Oculus Tray Tool
  • Rebooted and Restarted both my computer and the Oculus software
  • Removed my Asmedia USB Drivers
  • Tried Microsoft drivers for Asmedia 
  • Updated my Asmedia USB Drivers to the latest version (1.16.56.1)
  • Unplugged the Rift S numerous times
  • Tried my Intel 3.0 ports, which now also started giving me similar issues.
  • Enabled Oculus Beta
  • Disabled Oculus Beta
  • Uninstalled and Reinstalled the Oculus software, which then also reinstalled the Firmware on the Rift S - This finally seems to have fixed my issue, fingers crossed.
Edit: It's back after 1 day.

hellbringeranus
Explorer

Vuul said:

Finally seem to have sorted my issue out.

before my rift would lose touch tracking and the pass trough cameras would stop working within minutes of using the HMD. I've played skyrim vr and tabletop simulator for a little over an hour without any issues so far. don't take it as gospel, but if my issue returns i'll update my post.

my Rift is plugged into my Asmedia USB 3.1 gen 2 port and even after all this still shows up as "Generic superspeed USB Hub" in device manager instead of Rift S Usb hub.
Here's what I did.

• Turned off USB powersaving and made sure the computer couldn't put any of my usb ports asleep to save power
  • Uninstalled Oculus Tray Tool
  • Rebooted and Restarted both my computer and the Oculus software
  • Removed my Asmedia USB Drivers
  • Tried Microsoft drivers for Asmedia 
  • Updated my Asmedia USB Drivers to the latest version (1.16.56.1)
  • Unplugged the Rift S numerous times
  • Tried my Intel 3.0 ports, which now also started giving me similar issues.
  • Enabled Oculus Beta
  • Disabled Oculus Beta
  • Uninstalled and Reinstalled the Oculus software, which then also reinstalled the Firmware on the Rift S - This finally seems to have fixed my issue, fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed it works your headset it might be due to the new update that tracking is getting fixed.