cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rift s review then an old fashion oculus caning.

inovator
Consultant
I was with oculus from the beginning starting with the samsung gear inovator addition ( it would heat up and shut down after about 30 minutes) but I loved it. We were told the problems prior to purchase hence the name innovator. I loved my rift cv1 since 2016.
My rift s review: I love the reduced screen door effect. The better clarity is great. Most of all I love the ease of set up. No more moving furniture. I was going to return my s. 2 reasons 1. Sudden black screen when playing an online shooter like like Pavlov and contactors within 10 minutes a certain loudness or decibel then boom no display. Or shut down oculus than fire up oculus home again then black screen. I found a way around it. 1. Black screen in online fps is 100% caused by using the crap built in speakers when I was lazy. Solution for me are ear buds. No problem since and 2. I don't shut down the home screen.  I really do love this rift s but I'm going to give oculus the cane thrashing it deserves: Oculus you have such nerve releasing this headset before it was ready. A few bugs is understandable. But not with so many bugs and some major ones at that. And the nerve of you to release a headset with such crappy built in audio and to add insult to injury causes a black screen when volume is on high  in online fps. And not to at least have an audio solution for those of us that want it. And there are other problems you are aware of like white flashes etc.  After the latestupdate i still hearof some of the same major problems. The update hasn't made it tome yet. Ease of use was supposed encourage new users but may instead turn off some new users. You should be ashamed of this launch. Yes I will forgive you but I hope you learned from this experience. 
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus went to the pub whilst they left all the issues to Lenovo 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Fair criticism.

Oculus got ahead of the Industry with Quest. But then balanced that out by jumping the shark with Rift-S.

Once Oculus gets the bugs sorted, Rift-S will be a fine addition to anyone's PCVR lineup.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, it's pretty bad but I'm confident they'll not only have it sorted out soonish but I think they'll give those of us that opened up a support ticket free Store Credit. Cos if they don't they know full well that they'll receive yet ANOTHER 'Dear Oculus' letter. 😄 😛

inovator
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Fair criticism.

Oculus got ahead of the Industry with Quest. But then balanced that out by jumping the shark with Rift-S.

Once Oculus gets the bugs sorted, Rift-S will be a fine addition to anyone's PCVR lineup.

Agreed. I just needed to vent a little and give oculus a spanking.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

inovator said:

and give oculus a spanking.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
There's always a risk being an early adopter - I'm fairly confident that the Rift-S will be a much better product in 6 months, especially if Oculus optimizes tracking and provides an add-on audio solution. I avoided the first Index batch too, not jumping in that lake before I read the first user reviews  o:)

Fun thing - read this after one user went back to his CV1 after using the Reverb, must be a truly worst-case-scenario, right? But no, lol:

From HP Reverb to CV1

had the flickering, dark screen issue so my hp reverb is going back for a manufacturing defect but i was able to use it for 30 minutes at a time without any problems most days. I want to highlight some differences here between the cv1 and the hp reverb.

IPD of 64

1080 TI GPU

The reverb is narrower than the CV1 and for this reason when I put the mask on the leather sits right on my eyebrows. During gameplay if I raise my eyebrows it shifts the entire hmd and my vision becomes blurry. As a result I wasn't able to fully relax or forget im wearing an hmd, I had to have it in the back of my mind that i cant make any facial expressions.

When I put on the CV1 i can look anywhere on the screen and it doesnt bother me. IDK how cv1 achieved this but it's very easy to relax in bigscreen and have my eyes move around and watch the cinema. With the reverb i am acutely aware any time I'm not looking at the center sweet spot and it bothers me. My vision actually seems blurry if my eyes move anywhere else, and the worst part is that im constantly noticing how blurry things look and trying to adjust my heads angle to get back to that sharp image. its harder to fully relax and forget that I'm wearing an hmd when I am constantly aware of my head position vs eye position.

And the reverb ear phones... If my ear were forward slashes... these headphones sit like a backslash. It's actually the opposite angle that I want them to sit on my ears, its like the corner of one side digs into my ear instead of the whole speaker being parallel to the angle my ears sit. The CV1 headphones sit perfectly and didnt have this problem, the reverb headphones would snap and break the screw if I try to turn them how the CV1 speakers fit.

And lastly... windows mixed reality portal. What a heaping pile of shit. lol. its nice being in the oculus eco system... When I hosted a bigscreen room using the reverb and wmr.. everytime someone new joined my room for a second it would flash me out of the cinema and into a grid... totally immersion ruining being in that wmr ecosystem

In conclusion I actually don't mind going back to my cv1. It's just so much easier to relax and forget I have an hmd on and after my experience I think this might be the most important part of VR! There is no moving my head around constantly, getting annoyed at blurry images because im not looking dead center, having to adjust the hmd on my face because I moved my eyebrows, my ears never get sore, etc.

After being forced back to cv1 from a broken reverb i am surprised to find myself perfectly contented with that situation. Cheers to oculus for creating a great product that has withstood the test of time

p.s. the reverb display is an ideal compromise for a work environment where you dont need immersion, you need to be able to focus on details and its okay to force the customer to move their head around, etc. The reverb was designed for a use case that is not gaming and immersion. the resolution is a huge bump but still pixelated obviously in games like skyrim so there's not a wow factor to knock you on your ass

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/c0nd2a/from_hp_reverb_to_cv1/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
ill get a rift s for christmas. or a new 500 cad dollar video card. probably the rift s. heres hoping oculus slashes off a price in-between now and christmas rush. while the rift s is still new and cool. in the mean time i got melanoma above my right eye on the side of my head in line with my eyebrow. so im laying off the vr for a while to heal up. hope vr didnt give me melanoma cause its right where the screen shines on my head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'll never be an early adopter of any VR headset again. You knew what you were getting in the Dk1 & Dk2 days, because you were a beta tester and couldn't complain unless the headset was faulty. These consumer VR headsets should just work when you get them. You shouldn't have to wait for a firmware update to fix them when they have just launched.
I'll wait a good few months now before I ever purchase another VR headset. The excitement for a new headset will just have to wait given the frustration these newly launched headsets can bring.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ill get a rift s for christmas. or a new 500 cad dollar video card. probably the rift s. heres hoping oculus slashes off a price in-between now and christmas rush. while the rift s is still new and cool. in the mean time i got melanoma above my right eye on the side of my head in line with my eyebrow. so im laying off the vr for a while to heal up. hope vr didnt give me melanoma cause its right where the screen shines on my head.

Shit, sorry to hear about that! Hope your treatment goes okay and you get it all sorted out! 😮