cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
HLVR is coming! I can feel it in my VR blood!  

Index + HLVR = win/win 🙂

Thank you Valve and thank you Boneworks! haha
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

HLVR is coming! I can feel it in my VR blood!  

Index + HLVR = win/win 🙂

Thank you Valve and thank you Boneworks! haha

Lol, with Valve I'll believe anything - when I see it  😄 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Although the evidence is circumstantial, maybe the plot just thickened... Hmmmm.... HLVR?

https://youtu.be/6oBUpW8CVb0

I'm not even going to bother watching the video, they've been claiming that Half Life 3 is on the way for YEARS lol  😄

Techy111
MVP
MVP
That's what Half life means ...you wait half your life for it  😄
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Exciting new Index stuff! (I put some text in bold  B) )

Index brightness, blackpoint and gamut measurements

Gamut measurements show coverage of :
  • 99.4% sRGB

• 87.7% DCI-P3

• 66% Rec. 2020

for reference, Vive is:

• 100% sRGB

• 97.4% DCI-P3

• 75.63% Rec. 2020

Luminance in nits:

• Index: 95

• Vive Pro: 143 *

• Vive: 214

Black level in nits:

• Index: 0.153

• Vive: 0.000 ? with true blacks turned off via black smear compensation (default).*

• Vive: 0 ? with true blacks turned on, black smear compensation disabled via running the headset in secondary display mode.

So much for OLED blacks not being that much deeper anyways due to black smear compensation. Turns out that even with the compensation, where dark-greyness of black is visible to the eye, OLED headset blacks are still several orders of magnitude darker, so much so that xrite i1Display Pro can't display enough digits to distinguish it from true black.

In practice, having both Index and Vive Pro at my disposal, I personally prefer playing HellBlade with Vive Pro, due to how dark that game is. I wouldn't say blacks are dealbreakingly bad, but they're something to be aware of.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c0nziw/index_brightness_blackpoint_and_gamut_measuremen...

In short even with the dreaded OLED mura (SPUD) the OLED panels win big time over Index LCD when it comes to true blacks. And it seems that OLED also wins in other categories. Note especially luminance in nits, where Vive is more than 100 % higher than Index. Still Index may have the advantage of more subpixels, especially compared to the CV1. 

Kinda supports my decision of trying to have both CV1 and Index connected to the same rig - in case I need to surround myself with some real darkness (or the Odyssey+ may be great too, it's also OLED).

Seems that no matter how you try to replace the CV1 you end up having to compare serious losses vs. gains. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Techy111
MVP
MVP

kevinw729 said:

Techy111 said:

pgtzs6ykircg.gif

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Exciting new Index stuff! (I put some text in bold  B) )

Index brightness, blackpoint and gamut measurements

Gamut measurements show coverage of :
  • 99.4% sRGB

• 87.7% DCI-P3

• 66% Rec. 2020

for reference, Vive is:

• 100% sRGB

• 97.4% DCI-P3

• 75.63% Rec. 2020

Luminance in nits:

• Index: 95

• Vive Pro: 143 *

• Vive: 214

Black level in nits:

• Index: 0.153

• Vive: 0.000 ? with true blacks turned off via black smear compensation (default).*

• Vive: 0 ? with true blacks turned on, black smear compensation disabled via running the headset in secondary display mode.

So much for OLED blacks not being that much deeper anyways due to black smear compensation. Turns out that even with the compensation, where dark-greyness of black is visible to the eye, OLED headset blacks are still several orders of magnitude darker, so much so that xrite i1Display Pro can't display enough digits to distinguish it from true black.

In practice, having both Index and Vive Pro at my disposal, I personally prefer playing HellBlade with Vive Pro, due to how dark that game is. I wouldn't say blacks are dealbreakingly bad, but they're something to be aware of.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c0nziw/index_brightness_blackpoint_and_gamut_measuremen...

In short even with the dreaded OLED mura (SPUD) the OLED panels win big time over Index LCD when it comes to true blacks. And it seems that OLED also wins in other categories. Note especially luminance in nits, where Vive is more than 100 % higher than Index. Still Index may have the advantage of more subpixels, especially compared to the CV1. 

Kinda supports my decision of trying to have both CV1 and Index connected to the same rig - in case I need to surround myself with some real darkness (or the Odyssey+ may be great too, it's also OLED).

Seems that no matter how you try to replace the CV1 you end up having to compare serious losses vs. gains. 

Yea that's not surprising to me. It's been covered with the Rift-S discussions but I haven't seen any LCD panel yet that's on par with my Odyssey+/OLED blacks or colors so I never thought it would be. My hope is that with some calibration and settings adjustment that it's good enough to not be distracting like the Pimax 5k which is more gray than black but I won't know until I see it for myself.

If you're only buying a headset for the black levels then it's going to come up short for sure. I might keep my O+ around for a couple of games and get it working with Knuckles.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad I went for the Rift S instead of the Index now, I didn't get any nits with mine as far as I can tell. Or maybe they can't live in my hair because my hair is so short?

Bloody gross anyway, they shouldn't be allowed to sell something you wear on your head that's bloody infested. 😮

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Kinda cool-looking charging stands  :open_mouth:

h2vayo3vibnx.jpg
tqz8iybqbkri.jpg
ol28nzam7uhv.jpg
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3339091/comments

BTW, I'm not that worried about black levels on the Index - I'm more interested in the 120 and 144 Hz - and Boneworks is starting to look really cool  B)