cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Something big also just happened for The Talos Principle - a massive 6GB patch. And no one knows why - the devs say nothing - but many speculate it has something to do with the Index:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/552440/discussions/0/1637536330462252657/

But 6GB for Index hand tracking makes no sense in my mind. I did try the patched game yesterday. After the patch the SteamVR version no longer could be started from Oculus Home, but when first starting SteamVR and then launching the game everything worked fine. I did notice that the game ran worse than usually, and checking OTT ss was 2.24, while it normally was 2.0 for my setup. So check that res hasn't suddenly increased if you notice any slowdown after the patch. Reducing the res in-game slightly I was back to ss 2.0, so no problem. I didn't notice anything new after patching the game - but I haven't played it in months. 

But it did result in a small discovery - that you can see difference between ss 2.0 and 2.5, lol. I found a gate like this:

u1cj4nh35fsa.jpg

Then I moved back until the grid was very hard/impossible to see - and then I tried to increase ss. Going from ss 2.0 to 2.25 or even 2.5 the grid/gate suddenly reappeared or you could see it more clearly (make out individual bars again). The performance impact made it not worthwhile, but I think the visual impact was way greater than increasing anisotrophic texture filtering from 8 to 16  B) Also it easily demonstrates the greatly increased 3D depth (how far you can see clearly) when increasing ss.  
In this game ss 2.0 works great on my rig, but I have to get down to ss 1.4 to get constant 90 fps (running everything on Ultra :blush: ). The SteamVR version gives you the ability to use Oculus specific rendering for optimal performance (thus buying the game in the Oculus Store may provide limited performance benefits in this game). Textures and graphics are truly awesome in this game - but I also just played some Vanishing Realms, so the contrast was truly immense, lol. 
Talos still is hard on the eyes, seems to lack some antialiasing even when using ss 2.0 - or higher. This is one game I'm really looking forward to try on the Index - more res and subpixels may be god-sent in this game. 

jc839k7a0zqo.jpg
jocom0bvxb10.jpg
usgn7d4q7ylv.jpg
8r0j79c92zcc.jpg
4xducqnvb0ah.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Wildt
Consultant
Talos is one of those games I've been holding out on until I got a higher res HMD. So if I win the Reverb lottery, and my the damn thing actually works, I'll finally get to play it 🙂
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Techy111
MVP
MVP
When is yours due mate ? I'm so far swinging 70/30 in favour of keeping after exhaustive testing this weekend.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wildt
Consultant

Techy111 said:

When is yours due mate ? I'm so far swinging 70/30 in favour of keeping after exhaustive testing this weekend.

Monday (tomorrow).
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Whoaa. I asked the question awhile back when I saw that it was listed as Index supported game if it was still alive... Guess I got my answer. It's still one of my favorite VR games. 

But quite strange why Vanishing Realms is under NDA... That does increase the odds that this game may have something to do with the Index launch - we'll see in 12 days. Because if Kelly Bailey was the sole responsible person for this game then NDA wouldn't make sense, right? Then again, other persons have been asked not to judge Index before June 28, maybe that's all there's to the Vanishing Realms NDA (if Bailey has implemented Index support)...
9grft6a4e4r8.jpg
xu1dk2i4svap.jpg
saw565zsdxo9.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Whoaa. I asked the question awhile back when I saw that it was listed as Index supported game if it was still alive... Guess I got my answer. It's still one of my favorite VR games. 

But quite strange why Vanishing Realms is under NDA... That does increase the odds that this game may have something to do with the Index launch - we'll see in 12 days. Because if Kelly Bailey was the sole responsible person for this game then NDA wouldn't make sense, right? Then again, other persons have been asked not to judge Index before June 28, maybe that's all there's to the Vanishing Realms NDA (if Bailey has implemented Index support)...
9grft6a4e4r8.jpg
xu1dk2i4svap.jpg
saw565zsdxo9.jpg

Who knows, maybe Valve subsidized the update to get it finished finally. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

9grft6a4e4r8.jpg
xu1dk2i4svap.jpg
saw565zsdxo9.jpg

Who knows, maybe Valve subsidized the update to get it finished finally. 

That would be awesome, like - Gabe: "Sit tight, Kelly, we're sending a team of 25 guys, we'll have those walls textured and shining in no time - and round shapes for the coins and more" 

Ok, probably not exactly like that - I'll keep my fingers crossed though 😉  

BTW, Assetto Corsa was pretty horrible - first the game didn't start in VR, had to google that I needed to choose Oculus in the in-game options menu, and then my gamepad didn't work (spent quite some time on that, sigh), then I found out I needed to use the mouse to start a race, and first then I could use the gamepad, double sigh. Lesson learned, no more sims with lackluster VR support, I'm going for the hoverbike, it's downloading right now  o:)  

https://youtu.be/dXtzWCWwCtA

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea I wasn't impressed with Assetto Corsa either, it's a pain to get it going. I enjoy Dirt Rally and Project Cars 1 & 2 more. 

Luciferous
Consultant
Is it despatch day today @pyroth309 ??

Luciferous
Consultant
https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c1kmmm/disassembly_vr_ultra_realistic_hands_with_dynami...

Another cool demonstration of knuckles in action. Actually probably the best I have seen.