cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

kojack
MVP
MVP
Trailers should be banned from showing footage from the last 2 thirds of a movie.

Ones that always pissed me off were the Terminator 2 trailers, they all revealed
That arnold was the good guy and robert was the evil one.
The movie was set up so that would be a surprise (early surprise, but still), but the trailer focused on it.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - I just watched "I am Mother" and I thought the film was great. Good recommendation and it gets a 7/10 from me. I really like a film where I don't become bored and constantly look forward to what's coming next.
I'm looking forward to my Qled television next week to start watching some 4k.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - I just watched "I am Mother" and I thought the film was great. Good recommendation and it gets a 7/10 from me. I really like a film where I don't become bored and constantly look forward to what's coming next.
I'm looking forward to my Qled television next week to start watching some 4k.

Nice, I don't like claustrophobic movies basically taking place in one location - so I had to watch the trailer to see if they ever got out, lol. Did you notice the 13,867 days and the meaning of that? 😉 I did watch the movie on the Sony 85" with awesome colors and enabled motionflow (using wireless surround headphones with 50 mm drivers), might have led me to a higher rating than I'd normally give - I felt very close to the actors, could see every detail in their skin and more, and the sound was awesome. I guess presence isn't just a thing for VR, lol. 

I think I added 2 stars for the 13,867 days and their meaning B)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - I don't think so. Why what did it mean? Put it in a spoiler alert in case other don't want to know. Let me know a.s.a.p 🙂

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - I don't think so. Why what did it mean? Put it in a spoiler alert in case other don't want to know. Let me know a.s.a.p 🙂
Ok 😉

13,867 days are 38 years - the age of the woman entering to complex. She was the first one raised by Mother. Number 2 was killed - she wasn't smart enough. Number 3 is the main character. 

There're only 2 persons alive on the planet - the first one got a memory wipe - Mother set up everything from the start. Nothing was left to coincidence. This fact completely changes the content of the movie for me - and it makes sense, you're up against an artificial intelligence way beyond what the human mind can comprehend - of course Morther didn't sleep - and heard everything - and planned everything - and was constantly ahead. 

All those corn fields - way more than a few persons can eat. Mother probably has many facilities for raising new humans, and it all begins now. 

I like this one from IMDB:

Warning: Spoilers
The biggest plot twist which would explain the entire movie is given out right in the beginning and verified multiple times throughout, then again at the ending.

• The '13867 days since extinction event' in the opening sequence indicates 38 years have past. Yet the daughter shown was only a teenager. That's because the women from outside was the 1st daughter ever... let me exlpain:
  • During the middle of the film when the current daughter takes the exam + discovers that the robot mother had lied and killed 'failed' children before, it shows that her label is APX03, and APX02 have failed (incinerated), but 3 embryos were used from the lab... get it?
  • The women from outside was APX01, the first "daughter", she matches the 38 years old timeline. Remember the robot said to her in the end "wonder why you survived this long out here as if someone had a purpose for you? Until now" Because she is the ultimate test to see if APX03 is truly ready to take on the role as mother for a new generation of humans (she returned hence passed the test so the robot left her alone). The women's memory was clearly altered/erased, that's why she totally couldn't respond when the robot said "Tell me... Do you remember your mother?"

Some more details... 1. The women sunk into a state of confusion when she saw the tonight show playing, and said she used to watch it a long time ago - her vague memories from living in the facility. She would never have seen it if she was out there for the whole 38 years. (Due to the end of civilization) 2. The women was meant to find the facility at that moment, everything was planned, including the bio suit, which obviously didn't need to exist otherwise. 3. This is speculation, but the women's artistic abilities might've been her training as a child. Remember the current daughter started prcating dancing since a young age? The robot recognized the importance of art and tries to incorporate that into each daughter's education.

I created this account cuz I couldn't stand how many morons are saying negative things about the movie... including critics, sadly.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
PS - and maybe this one - yes, I'll stick to my 10/10 rating  o:) 😉

Warning: Spoilers
***SPOILERS***

First I'll address some of the bad reviews and then I'll write a general review with some side-rant 🙂

The people who rated the movie poorly seem to have either not watched the film or lack some sort of basic intelligence. Most of the plot holes, issues or thing that "wouldn't happen" we're justified/justifyable. One person said that the robot was too dumb in the film and that real AI wouldn't be that dumb. Clearly that person failed to realize that everything that happened was the robot's intent. So if everything worked as the robot had intended, how does that make the robot dumb? The robot literally said to the woman in the shipping crate that she no longer served a purpose to her (the robot). As I was watching the film, I figured one of the scenarios was that the whole thing was a test for the girl and that in the end the girl passed. The robot's ultimate objective is to create a better human, one with ethical, moral, psychological and emotional superiority.

General Review: The movie is quite a good sci-fi movie. As a massive sci-fi fan myself and as an Aeronautical Engineer (specifically space related), I am both educated on some of the things presented in the film and interested in what is presented in the film. Obviously some of the things in the film are indeed science fiction, but nothing in the movie that I saw was impossible (great movies skate the line between fiction and reality, makes it more believeable). From start to finish, you, the viewer, are constantly debating who to trust, the robot or the human. The writers did a good job and allow the viewer to be warmed up to the robot and present the more human side of the robot. I think this is critical in helping develop the story because you need to trust the robot and if the film went straight into the action you wouldn't trust the robot at all. So after a brief introduction I'd say that as a viewer, myself, I was about 50/50. This lays the ground for the rest of the film. So as your human side and logical side battle , the movie continues to provide information that keeps you conflicted. As the movie goes deeper you begin to piece things together and the picture becomes more clear. At this point, where things click, you are beginning to see the moral dilemma (similar to the one provided in the film, now writing this and fully realizing, the film goes from a 9 star to 10). The human race is the dilemma. You have two choices. You can choose to not wipe out humanity and humans will continue to suffer or you can wipe out humanity and build a better human kind so that there is a greater benefit in the long run (think thousands of years, also related to Utilitarianism and lots of other ethical shizz). For example (similar to the film's logic), imagine 8 billion people in current times (somewhat discontent) vs. 8 billion people who are smarter, more ethical, more kind, more rational, etc... That would be a damn good world. This is the dilemma the audience arrives at as the film reaches it's climax. The robot is trying to build a better world at the cost of the old world. Is this ethical (there is no "right" answer)? The fact that they included the robot teaching the girl ethics confirms this idea. I thought it was strange that the robot was teaching this girl (presuming the character is supposed to be a teenager, but the actor is 21) such detailed ethics at a young age. In the film they mentioned Kantian ethics and such. Anyways, the whole idea of the film is sort of like arguing whether or not Thanos is a bad guy. From many ethical perspectives you can say that Thanos is actually in the right and from just as many ethical perspectives you can say the Avengers are the good guys. There honestly is no wrong answer, in my opinion. That's why I think this film was such a great film because it was so much more than a surface-level sci-fi film. All of the people who rated the movie bad didn't understand the underlying point of the film. These people just want a lazy movie that tells them what to think. I love movies that allow you to think for yourself and actually force you to do just that. The movie says (not literally): "create your own ideas", which is important in a society where people are constantly telling you how to think.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The number did have me confused to be honest, but when I found out the other girl had been terminated, I just thought it must be her and this teenager was a new human in the present day. I didn't think to add the number up or I would have realised it was the older woman from outside. Damn I must be silly to not pick that up, did you pick it up straight away?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

The number did have me confused to be honest, but when I found out the other girl had been terminated, I just thought it must be her and this teenager was a new human in the present day. I didn't think to add the number up or I would have realised it was the older woman from outside. Damn I must be silly to not pick that up, did you pick it up straight away?

No, but I did think it was odd with that number - so I googled it, and got some help. It all made sense and completely changed the movie for me. Great AIs don't make mistakes B) This way I think the movie is Terminator done right 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just watched it and loved it. Can't believe that actress is 21 though 😮

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
This one just arrived from Amazon UK - now I just hope I haven't already seen it. lol. 

wffg56pbmnh9.jpg

It was an impulse purchase, The Hateful Eight is one of my favorite movies, I wonder if these movies are connected, at least there's something about numbers... and guns...  B)  6.9 on IMDB, haven't even seen the trailer  o:)