cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My rift s review then an old fashion oculus caning.

inovator
Consultant
I was with oculus from the beginning starting with the samsung gear inovator addition ( it would heat up and shut down after about 30 minutes) but I loved it. We were told the problems prior to purchase hence the name innovator. I loved my rift cv1 since 2016.
My rift s review: I love the reduced screen door effect. The better clarity is great. Most of all I love the ease of set up. No more moving furniture. I was going to return my s. 2 reasons 1. Sudden black screen when playing an online shooter like like Pavlov and contactors within 10 minutes a certain loudness or decibel then boom no display. Or shut down oculus than fire up oculus home again then black screen. I found a way around it. 1. Black screen in online fps is 100% caused by using the crap built in speakers when I was lazy. Solution for me are ear buds. No problem since and 2. I don't shut down the home screen.  I really do love this rift s but I'm going to give oculus the cane thrashing it deserves: Oculus you have such nerve releasing this headset before it was ready. A few bugs is understandable. But not with so many bugs and some major ones at that. And the nerve of you to release a headset with such crappy built in audio and to add insult to injury causes a black screen when volume is on high  in online fps. And not to at least have an audio solution for those of us that want it. And there are other problems you are aware of like white flashes etc.  After the latestupdate i still hearof some of the same major problems. The update hasn't made it tome yet. Ease of use was supposed encourage new users but may instead turn off some new users. You should be ashamed of this launch. Yes I will forgive you but I hope you learned from this experience. 
28 REPLIES 28

Luciferous
Consultant
Looks like most manufacturers rushed their headsets out this time before they were ready, just hoping valve didn’t do the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like most manufacturers rushed their headsets out this time before they were ready, just hoping valve didn’t do the same.

Fully agree with that.
I think perhaps in the Oculus Rift S case, they partnered and rushed it out without enough broad testing.

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege

dburne said:

Fully agree with that.
I think perhaps in the Oculus Rift S case, they partnered and rushed it out without enough broad testing.

Agreed 

inovator
Consultant
I think they did enough testing and knew the problems. For some reason they felt it was more of a benifit to release it even with the problems.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

I think they did enough testing and knew the problems. For some reason they felt it was more of a benifit to release it even with the problems.

I'm starting to think they just thought people would just except this. Like it was some type of beta headset from the Dk1 & Dk2 days. They have to realise this is a consumer headset now and we are not beta testers for them. They should have their own dedicate team for testing their headsets or higher a team if don't have one.

Anonymous
Not applicable
DEV - "It just isn't ready yet boss but HP will beat us to it...and then by the time we sort it, Valve will be to compete against!"
CEO - "ah sod it! Just get it out there. By the time it works we'll have made enough money to move on again"
DEV - "on again boss?"
CEO - "keep up! we plan on doing the same again with our new flagship...the RIFT X You DEVs are just too slow for the competition!"

Ain't that about right!!!

inovator
Consultant
Agreed

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i wonder when it became a good idea to not have a mechanical ipd? are they aware they are ruining the rift s for us with  an ipd larger than 65.5 ipd?

optimal ipd range for rift s: 61.5 to 65.5

my ipd is 72, i feel bad about the rift s ipd.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

snowdog said:

ill get a rift s for christmas. or a new 500 cad dollar video card. probably the rift s. heres hoping oculus slashes off a price in-between now and christmas rush. while the rift s is still new and cool. in the mean time i got melanoma above my right eye on the side of my head in line with my eyebrow. so im laying off the vr for a while to heal up. hope vr didnt give me melanoma cause its right where the screen shines on my head.

Shit, sorry to hear about that! Hope your treatment goes okay and you get it all sorted out! 😮

the doctor put a cryofreeze spray can on it four or five times in a row, froze it a lot. then after a few days it just peeled off like a scab just a few minutes ago. i hope it wasnt melanoma. it looked like it but whatever it was its gone. so ill go back for another doctor visit later on. heh maybe some more freezing to be safe.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
One of the most ridiculous things to me is the floating hands in front of you face. When your playing and you have your hands to your sides when nothing much is happening this is what the software does:

I can't see the touch controllers so I know what to do > lets stick the hands in front of the users face to break immersion.

Oculus should have made it so if It can't find your Touch controllers it sticks your hands to the sides of your legs, it should not have chosen to stick your hands in front of your face blocking your vision.

I think the Rift S is a disaster imo. Just abysmal. I really didn't think things could go so wrong by buying Rift S as I just expected it to be slightly better then Rift CV1 which the screen is but everything else is just terrible.

According to Oculus, Tracking, Sound and Immersion so longer matter in VR.  :'(
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!