cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-Racer Hoverbike - awesome racing game!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just tried my favorite VR racing game, but I'm not a great fan of sims - and this isn't a sim 😄  

The graphics are quite good, and of course solid 90 fps are best. On my rig (see my sig) I could set super sampling to 1.6 and max out all other settings and get 90 fps. But setting super sampling to 1.6 in-game isn't the same as getting ss 1.6 in Oculus Tray Tool 😉 Super sampling in-game can be set to values like for example 1.6, 2, 3 and 4. 4 is the same as ss 2.0, while 3 = ss 1.75 and 2 = ss 1.4. 1.6 is probably = ss 1.2. 

No matter what I did, I couldn't get solid 90 fps using ss 2.0 (= "4" in-game), but ss 1.75 (="3") was ok if I disabled (or set to the lowest) all other settings. This wasn't bad - using ss 1.75 you don't need antialiasing (much), and shadows, bloom etc. aren't really important settings in this game. 

The game can be found here - seems to be the most popular racing game on Steam right now:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/668430/VRacer_Hoverbike/

If you have a GTX 1080 (RTX 2060) or better, I'd recommend setting super sampling in-game to 3 (=ss 1.75) and then disable (set to the lowest) all other graphics settings. You can try to max out everything and still keep in-game ss to 3, the fps counter will now measure 45 fps, but the game still performed nicely - I wonder if the game supports asw 2.0. 

This game is played seated only, and probably best seated in a couch, because you need to lean all the way left or right. Using a normal chair you risk falling, but a couch is perfect 😉

This game isn't for VR beginners - I'd recommend it only to seasoned VR users. This game is fast and there're 360 degrees loops on some tracks - if you're prone to VR nausea, this game probably isn't for you. But it's the most awesome racing experience I've had for a long time - maybe ever, lol.  

Some in-game screenshots (click to enlarge) - yes the game looks this good - and no, a 2080 Ti isn't wasted on this game  B)

341xrdz89u0i.jpg
gvh6piad4siz.jpg

Check out the road textures here - quite awesome, right?
ggz4545ssjdt.jpg

g8yd3bt4mrgs.jpg
crrsfyq7ys96.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

41 REPLIES 41

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

How does it compare to RedOut?

That's my exact question. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I also got RedOut, but I find V-Racer much better - much easier to handle. RedOut needs a gamepad, while V-Racer works perfectly with Touch. Maybe RedOut has better performance, but not by much. For now I like the gameplay better in V-Racer - the game was built for VR, while RedOut wasn't. V-Racer feels more like WipeOut that RedOut. V-Racer feels exactly like riding a (hover-)bike, especially when you have to physically lean left or right - I don't get that feeling at all in RedOut. Still RedOut is a nice game - but I don't think it's in the same league as V-Racer.  

And I've gotten better at controlling the hoverbike, centered properly the hoverbike  should be easy to control seated in a chair and not a couch 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary
Hmm interesting. I may have to give it a go if it's that much better than RedOut. I have Wipeout on PSVR and it's a good time. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

pyroth309 said:

Hmm interesting. I may have to give it a go if it's that much better than RedOut. I have Wipeout on PSVR and it's a good time. 

I think you could say that presence is much better in V-Racer than RedOut 😉

saami81
Rising Star
I have been wanting motorcycle game for VR for a long time and this seems to be best one atm. Too bad it isnt in Oculus store, but i guess Steam version works good enough.

Downloading atm 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I discovered it a few months ago. Great gameplay with great graphics, I would just like it if it had more content. But that's the only flaw, otherwise it's very fun!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
After installing the game I started it the first time using Steam. After closing the game it was present in my Oculus Home app list with a nice icon (like Doom VFR etc.) - this doesn't happen for all my Steam VR games, but it did for this game.
Starting the game from Oculus Home I didn't even notice SteamVR starting, like I do when starting Doom VFR, but I guess SteamVR must be running in the background - I didn't check. That's why I'm curious if this game uses Oculus' drivers directly (asw 2.0), currently I don't know. Asw 2.0 would make sense, 45 fps really feel ultra-close to 90.  
The take home message - if you buy this game it should be integrated in Oculus Home to a degree where you won't see any difference between starting this game or a game bought in the Oculus Store. V-Racer is Early Access - the devs are constantly enhancing the game, right now there're probably like 10 tracks, but more are coming. It does already feel like a full game. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Ah, back in Oculus Home for a break, but I finally found the perfect settings for my bike. It really turned on my digestive system  😄 
What you need to do:

1. Change controls from "Head aligned with track" to "Head aligned with bike".
2. Now change the level of leaning from minimum to the max - yes, all the way to the right!

You should now get the warning "Are you insane!?"  😄 But of course we're not insane, we just deactivated the "safe young girl scouts mode" and activated the "pure testosterone/adrenaline hoverbike riding mode"  B)

saami81
Rising Star
My thoughts after 3 hours of playing...

First, there are lots of controlling and comfort options. Im sure that everyone can find combination that suits them well. Personally i use "handlebar (experimental) control scheme.  Head aligned with bike and leaning level to maximum "Are you insane".
Gameplay is very smooth and bike responses to controls with no lag. Sense of speed is good. I would even say so good, that VR newbies should grow their VR legs before going to maximum immersion setting.

There are 3 different game modes. Time trial (going against clock) with up to 6 ghosts. Combat race where you have pick-ups. Kinda like Mario Kart. And at last Free ride. Its like a practice mode.

I didnt try multiplayer, but briefly checked options and there are also time trial and combat mode options.

Played with Rift-S. No problems with tracking or anything.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
When do you use the brake?
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2