cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Setup: KB2670838 and KB3033929 required, but already installed

paranoidcoder
Explorer
So i'm trying to run the Oculus setup, however, every time I try it will not allow me to continue because i do not have the windows updates KB2670838 and KB3033929, but I do have them installed!

The setup file i grabbed from here:
https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/

And I've verified through Windows "Installed updates" that both of those updates are present on my Windows 7 machine.

Against my better judgement, I even went through and uninstalled the windows updates, and installed them again, but this problem still persists!

Help? I've been trying to get this thing to work for the last 6 hours!
82 REPLIES 82

Capitol_CPT
Honored Guest

pyr084 said:

i had the same problem, rift software says KB3033929 and KB2670838 are not installed.
i tried everthing in this post, dosent work.

then i force install the 2 windows updates like this

1. download KB3033929 and KB2670838 from microsoft
2. download and install 7zip
3. unpack KB3033929 and KB2670838 with 7-zip
4. copy the files to c:\
5. open console in admin mode
6. type: dism /online /add-package:C:\Windows6.1-KB3033929-x64.cab
7. wait until restart
8. open console in admin mode
9. type: dism /online /add-package:C:\Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.cab
8. wait until restart
10. install oculus

have fun. hope it works for someone

Excellent work around. Because of your guide i found this guide to turning the .msu into cab and then using dism. Managed to force KB3033939 to install: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/02/15/how-to-use-dism-to-install-a-hotfix-from-with...

Rheedjeckt
Honored Guest
I'm having the same fucking problem.
 received my oculus 2 days ago, been able to play it for about an hour.
 Went to work and when i came back i got the runtime error.
 Tried to repair the client. It fucked up.
Tried to re-install it, got the computer needs to restart error.
I did a clean install of win 10 which didnt change shit.
Installed Win7 x64 Sp1 on another drive.
Tried everything LZoltowski and cybereality posted in here and other threads.

And here i am, dissapoinnted and pissed off.

PLEASE HELP. 

cybereality
Grand Champion
Did you try installing Windows 10?
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

NicoNL
Honored Guest
why does this still come op on win7

macaiylavr
Honored Guest

So there is a trick to skip that part of the setup. Open the command prompt (and navigate to the folder where the setup file exists) and run this:
OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck
However, if the hotfixes *are* missing you will have lots of problems after that point.

Where do I find the folder? I can't find it anywhere..

plan9films
Honored Guest

cybereality this worked - thank you so much!

MavArdi
Honored Guest

pyr084 said:

i had the same problem, rift software says KB3033929 and KB2670838 are not installed.
i tried everthing in this post, dosent work.

then i force install the 2 windows updates like this

1. download KB3033929 and KB2670838 from microsoft
2. download and install 7zip
3. unpack KB3033929 and KB2670838 with 7-zip
4. copy the files to c:\
5. open console in admin mode
6. type: dism /online /add-package:C:\Windows6.1-KB3033929-x64.cab
7. wait until restart
8. open console in admin mode
9. type: dism /online /add-package:C:\Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.cab
8. wait until restart
10. install oculus

have fun. hope it works for someone

You're fuckin' awesome! It's already 2019 and this is the only thing that worked for me.

Shothra
Honored Guest
OH MY GOD I FINALLY DID IT.  Here's what I did y'all:

- Made sure my firewall/antivirus program was disabled & my VPN was off.  Also signed out of any communication program (Discord, Steam, anything out of sheer paranoia)
- Moved the installer to C:\Program Files
- While in the Folder Program files, click the windows explorers bar to the LEFT of the refresh button (don't want to search the whole folder) and type in cmd
- In the Command Prompt window enter (no quotations) "OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck" It is case sensitive and the space is important (at least for me?)

This got me to the installation process but THEN I kept encountering a problem with the install.  Here are some more work-arounds I did that resolved THAT issue:

- While in Program Files folder make sure you have no existing Oculus data.  Anything that has Oculus in it just delete it.

That worked for me but as a just in case you (pulled from another forum here):

- Click the Start button and enter in the search bar (no quotations) "%appdata%" which will redirect to those sweet sweet secret files.
- Continue to Local then Oculus.  Delete everything there.

Y'all all over these forums are fabulous little cherub wizards that helped me fix a problem I've been banging my head on for five hours.  I love you internet strangers.

n4nd
Honored Guest
Alright, it's 2020, the Quest 2 is out and here's what worked for me:

I've downloaded OculusSetup.exe again, this time it saved as "OculusSetup (1).exe".

I ran it as Administrator from a command prompt with /bypassHotfixCheck (see above) but selected a language other than English (US) (to match my regional settings) instead of trying to install it in English. This time the setup told me I needed another GBs in my C: drive.

I found in Oculus Support (support.oculus.com/1142129705828091/) how to change the target drive - by adding another cmd line parameter, /drive=Q (where Q is the drive letter I want to install to).

So:

C:\user\me\Downloads>"OculusSetup (1).exe" /drive=Q /bypassHotfixCheck

This time the download started and everything installed fine.

Turns out the Quest 2 isn't supported under Windows 7 though. So if you're a new Quest owner but your PC is on Windows 7 (like mine), don't go through the hassle - The Oculus software won't let you set it up, unless there's yet another workaround for that too (I haven't found one yet).

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello, I am having same issue, with those Kn hotfix, how to do I use command promt to open oculus .exe?

First thing, be absolutely sure you already have the hotfixes/updates installed. KB3033929 and KB2670838

then open command prompt (hopefully you are familiar with how command prompt commands and how they work.  
CD is "change directory."
you can either go 'cd C:\program files\...etc' or you can use cd command to continue to the next directory/folder or DIR.

for example, if the line already sales C:\program files>  your next command might be 'cd firefox\' to go to your firefox directory.

in the case of this fix:  go to where the Oculus setup file is located.  for me i would go to the 'install' folder inside the downloads folder.
so my command would be 'cd c:\users\computer name\downloads\install'
then the next line should match this and wait for the next command
next type 'oculussetup.exe /bypasshotfixcheck'
you may get a windows UAC prompt like when launching something in administrator. just click ok/agree.  then launch your oculus setup again.  this should bypass the hotfix checker in the installer. 

You may also encounter an issue the installer not recognizing the version of windows you have. and state "Upgrade required." mine says 'Oculus setup requires a 64-bit vesion of either Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, or windows 10.  
Well, I have windows 7 SP1.  Not sure how to fix this yet