Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Forum Dark Mode

kojack
MVP
MVP
No longer working!
This was for the old forum.

Here's a mostly working version of a dark mode for this forum.
It features the following:
- generally dark theme for everything
- posts by moderators are coloured orange
- posts by oculus staff are coloured blue
- avatars have been enlarged from 40x40 to 60x60
- emojis in posts are half size
- quotes are coloured a dark cyan, increasing in brightness as they are stacked (quoted quotes, etc)
- code blocks are a greeny colour
- spoilers are a red-ish purple
- in the edit box for a new post, you can now see where quotes are (previously they were invisible)
- signatures are darkened so they don't look like normal post text
- like, lol and awesome counts are yellow
- the flag post button is red
- announcement posts in the thread list page are coloured a dark greenish cyan

There are a few broken bits at the moment. The oculus forum does some tricky stuff, some of its combo boxes use css that is injected after the page is loaded, which I can't override. So for example I currently can't change the community combo box correctly (the one where you pick community / developer / vip / foreign language boards).
I also can't currently correctly colour the OculusSupport account's first post in a thread, for some reason that one account is an admin but isn't given admin css. I can detect it in some situations, but not all (css is rather limited).

There's also a bunch I probably haven't noticed is missing. It's a work in progress.

To use

First install Stylus or similar (Stylish probably works too). You can get it from here:
Stylus will detect the script and ask you if you want to install. In theory (not tested) it should by default auto update if I make changes. Done.
The repo is here if you want to check for changes manually, It's in my previous grease monkey repo: https://github.com/rajetic/oculusforumtool

Apparently I may be able to add configuration variables for easy customising of colour and turning features on/off. I'll look into that later.

Here's an example:
3rvzpfbm46jb.png

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nekto2 said:

Do you have ... cookies? 🙂

Here you go:

:cookie:

😛 

pjenness
Rising Star
Nice work Kojack!! Appreciated!

-P

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS? https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
First of all, this is great @kojack !

Having used it for a week now, only issue ive come across and really a minor one I may add is when you get notifications:
 8gewrx2mz4oz.jpg
The avatar size overrides the text box or whatever you call it.
 Dont know if you can fix it to align with whatever size of avatar one wants.
Just wanted to give you some feedback on this great addon.

My eyes no longer burns browsing my favorit forum of all times.
Be good, die great !

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Oh also .. New posts in Announcements doesn't have a box around them making it harder to catch:
5aj28wk7k4ze.jpg
But really just another minor issue.
Be good, die great !

kojack
MVP
MVP
Yeah, that announcement new post bit is bizarre, I spent a while trying to get it to work. The CSS for the categories and the new posts is identical. Changing the background colour of the announcement post makes just the new post bit break, not the category (as I said, both are implemented in the same way).
I may just remove the announcement colour and try a different way to flag them.

I'll have to see if I can get some notifications while I'm online to see the css behind them.

I've just got configuration variables working, so I can have a gui that lets you turn options on/off and pick your own colours without touching the css code.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Luciferous
Consultant
Thanks for this Kojack enjoying the dark mode.

Rahotep
Protege
No matter what, the forum in Edge Chomium is hard to read. The letters are faded away

LeroyVRChristop
Explorer
Great work on the Dark Mode.

Baron-ZuZu
Honored Guest
Great - so much nicer on the eyes! I can take my shades off now. Made the text green for that old skool 286 look