cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime after 1.38 Update

MrSheppard
Protege
My Rift S functioned fine until last night where the 1.38 Update was downloaded.
Today, i only get "Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime" message with the suggestion to restart my PC or try repairing the installation. 
So i went and tried the repairing process. After it was done, the headset worked again.
The next day, the Oculus software automatically started the 1.38 update.
After this update the same message mentioned above showed up again.

I suspect this update broke the RuntimeVR service which can not start anymore.
I hope i can get some help.
72 REPLIES 72

Pseudose
Honored Guest
If they could go ahead and resolve this massive issue that'd be great.... 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Update on my ticket from last night:
Thank you very much for the log files. We're going to have to look into them further.

Due to the launch of the Rift S and Quest, we are
experiencing a higher ticket volume than normal. We will do our best to
get back to you within 3-4 business days, with more information or an
update.

V12-StevenX
Protege

WhiteZero said:

Thank you very much for the log files. We're going to have to look into them further.

update.

Keep us informed. We hope for an update that is finally working for everyone.

Saltylelele
Explorer
For me it is broken as well. It looks like the same issue you describe here.

Dr_Hippo404
Honored Guest
I seem to be having the same issue described in this post. Have already submitted a ticket.

Globespy
Expert Protege

pcfarrar said:

pcfarrar said:

Was able to downgrade to 1.37.1 and I'm back up and running again. 1.38 is definitely bugged there was no way I could get the Oculus VR runtime service to start. I did wonder if replacing the 1.38 "OVRServiceLauncher.exe" with the 1.37.1 version would work but to be honest I don't want the hassle of reinstalling again.

So it's correct only to overwrite the 1.38 OVRServiceLauncher.exe.exe with the OVRServiceLauncher.exe 1.37?. Don't you need to launch oculus client right by hand subsequently, right? in this mode should work normally?. I also have this problem from 1.38 ... but I hope Oculus staff patch soon and answer on the forum about this problem.

That’s correct once you’ve overwritten the 1.38 OVRServiceLauncher.exe reboot and it will be fully working. Just put the headset on and it will fire up automatically.

Do you have to replace this file everytime you want to use the Rift?
If so, this will be a pain.
I wonder if the file could be set to 'read only' to block being overwritten, or if this will even work?

It's crazy that Oculus can release crap like this and take days to reply, especially after their massive screw up last year with expired certificates.

Thank you pcfarrar for the workaround

Globespy
Expert Protege

pcfarrar said:

pcfarrar said:

Was able to downgrade to 1.37.1 and I'm back up and running again. 1.38 is definitely bugged there was no way I could get the Oculus VR runtime service to start. I did wonder if replacing the 1.38 "OVRServiceLauncher.exe" with the 1.37.1 version would work but to be honest I don't want the hassle of reinstalling again.

So it's correct only to overwrite the 1.38 OVRServiceLauncher.exe.exe with the OVRServiceLauncher.exe 1.37?. Don't you need to launch oculus client right by hand subsequently, right? in this mode should work normally?. I also have this problem from 1.38 ... but I hope Oculus staff patch soon and answer on the forum about this problem.

That’s correct once you’ve overwritten the 1.38 OVRServiceLauncher.exe reboot and it will be fully working. Just put the headset on and it will fire up automatically.

I just tried this and at least now the Oculus Home launches, but I can't launch any VR titles because there's the "New Drivers are required for Oculus - update now" banner in Oculus Home.
So, even with a fix, Oculus still block it!

They really need to have a 'defer update/rollback' option to make things easier for their customers and themselves when they release trash that breaks the product.
But that would be too smart.

Globespy
Expert Protege

My Rift S functioned fine until last night where the 1.38 Update was downloaded.
Today, i only get "Can’t Reach Oculus Runtime" message with the suggestion to restart my PC or try repairing the installation. 
So i went and tried the repairing process. After it was done, the headset worked again.
The next day, the Oculus software automatically started the 1.38 update.
After this update the same message mentioned above showed up again.

I suspect this update broke the RuntimeVR service which can not start anymore.
I hope i can get some help.

WhiteZero said:

update.

I have found a fix.
It seems to be related to the C++ Redistributable packages that causes the loop.
I replaced the OVRLauncher as discussed in this thread, but despite being able to open Oculus Home, there was an error in the Headset and in the Oculus Home app on the desktop there was the prompt to update drivers.
Updating these had (until now) resulted in a process being 'stuck' and hence the problems we are having.

I would still suggest replacing the OVRLauncher as described by 'pcfarrar' and then rebooting your PC.
Don't open Oculus Home or put on your headset before you do the following:

Download the latest C++ Redistributable packages (2015-2019) from Microsoft - even if you have a 64-bit OS (like most do these days), you will still need both the x64 and x86 packages.
Here's links to the packages:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

You will want to download the first 2:
x86: vc_redist.x86.exe
x64: vc_redist.x64.exe

Install the x86 followed by the x64.
Then launch oculus home without putting on the headset.
You will see the red banner saying you need to update drivers - let it do it's thing.
Once finished you will be on "Oculus App Version 1.38.0.256587 (1.38.0.256587)" and everything should work just fine.
I just did this and everything works.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks.
A note on REDIST & Oculus...there are common Games that use C++2013 which the Updater always needs to check for after any update even though it is already installed, it still does the checks.
Yes 2015, 2017 & 2019 all use the same files but they each remove the previous version in doing so but Oculus uses 2015 (or did). So it has in the past and perhaps still does gets stuck in a loop!
Even now Oculus does not install C++2019
One thing that causes Loops is probably Windows Folder Permissions which is common if you do use any OS Folder for either APP or Games so don't! If you do and even make a new folder elsewhere you should "Share" it with "Everybody" (basic dropdown menu) in Properties just in case you do need another User Account for future fixes too.

Globespy
Expert Protege

MAC_MAN86 said:

Thanks.
A note on REDIST & Oculus...there are common Games that use C++2013 which the Updater always needs to check for after any update even though it is already installed, it still does the checks.
Yes 2015, 2017 & 2019 all use the same files but they each remove the previous version in doing so but Oculus uses 2015 (or did). So it has in the past and perhaps still does gets stuck in a loop!
Even now Oculus does not install C++2019
One thing that causes Loops is probably Windows Folder Permissions which is common if you do use any OS Folder for either APP or Games so don't! If you do and even make a new folder elsewhere you should "Share" it with "Everybody" (basic dropdown menu) in Properties just in case you do need another User Account for future fixes too.

The redistributable files I used didn't change a thing with C++ 2013 or earlier.
Only 2015, 2017 and 2019.

Plus these files did not go through any uninstallation of existing files, instead updated them.
Regardless, it's a full fix at least for me and I'm running the latest build of 1.38

Hope it helps others.