HP Reverb First Impressions Thread - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread

Comments

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,906 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @Wildt - That looks like it's on the lens from the photo, but obviously isn't if you say it's on the display. Have you tried reinstalling the software and messed about calibrating the settings etc? Maybe reinstalling your graphics card driver just to see if it does anything?
    Swamping display port and usb to 3.1 if you have one? That's what HP support will tell you to do.
    Yup, tried it all.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,274 Valuable Player
    Would you say it's this that could be happening?

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,171 Volunteer Moderator
    Damn mate, so all of us to varying degrees got dodgy headsets. They have said nothing to me about a replacement time frame but mine is waiting to be picked up, nothing from them yet though. I loaded up my CV1 last night and boy, even though I've been using it for 3 years and was happy with it, it's not a reverb :(
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla said:
    Would you say it's this that could be happening?
    Can't describe it more accurately than my last post on it - regarding my picture, it was taken with a shoddy phone cam, and saved with JPG compression, so it doesn't really precisely convey what you see, but rest assured it's not the lens, it's pixels/subpixels misbehaving.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    @Wildt - I saw that you said they weren't dead pixels, but the article also describes stuck pixels. That is what I was questioning mainly, if they could be stuck pixels or not.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,577 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I loaded up my CV1 last night and boy, even though I've been using it for 3 years and was happy with it, it's not a reverb :(
    Exactly...

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
     This is effectively what I was seeing with mine.

edited June 18
    @Techy111 -  So if you get a faulty one do you have to pay for the return or does HP get someone to pick it up for free?
    I am waiting for precisely that answer from them. I believe they pay for collection with DPD. 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,549 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    @Techy111 -  So if you get a faulty one do you have to pay for the return or does HP get someone to pick it up for free?
    Has anyone got one that works yet? lol
    edited June 18
    @pyroth309 - Well either everyone in this forum has had some rotten luck or the build quality of the headset is shite. I'm thinking the headset has problems that HP need to address and that's why the UK aren't getting the stock in yet. I could be wrong though and the people here are all just unlucky.
    I've always thought of HP as a good brand though.
    DPD come to collect the return unit. However, they already missed my collection period for some unknown reason so will come again tomorrow.

• forestguyforestguy Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    I think I dodged a bullet with the ability to return the item, I think I will wait with my Quest (and ALVR) to see the feedback and reviews of the upcoming VR Hardware (Index etc.). At least i've tested the HP Reverb to see the clarity for future reference. Clarity, FOV, and wireless is the holy grail and now I'm prepared to wait.
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    @Techy111 ; - here's what HP just said to me, they received my reverb back yesterday.

"Unfortunately we are still waiting for stock of the replacement, which is estimated to arrive on 9th July.
    Please confirm if you would like to wait for this date, or if you would prefer to be refunded."

They did cover collection.

CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
    Yup just sorted everything out. The guy told me every unit is being tested before release now but I had no problems with support now they aware of the reverb problems. Mine collected Friday and replacement by the 11rh July but hopefully sooner.
    Cheers @FX2K

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,752 Valuable Player
    Valve could end up releasing the only functional headset the way things are going. :o

Although to be fair to Oculus the Rift S problems seem to be software issues, not hardware issues.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited June 19
    forestguy said:
    I think I dodged a bullet with the ability to return the item, I think I will wait with my Quest (and ALVR) to see the feedback and reviews of the upcoming VR Hardware (Index etc.). At least i've tested the HP Reverb to see the clarity for future reference. Clarity, FOV, and wireless is the holy grail and now I'm prepared to wait.

@forestguy -  I heard Oculus told the guy behind ALVR that he has to remove the support for streaming games to the Oculus Rift from Steam. Also, is it just the hardware that you have a problem with when it comes to the HP Reverb? As far as I can see the HP Reverb beats Oculus Quest hands down if they get the problems sorted out. Oculus Quest is nothing more then a mobile games device and if Oculus get their way you won't be able to stream games to it from Steam.
    So what exactly is it that you don't like about  the HP Reverb? It has the same Fov as most headsets and the reviews I've seen say it is better then the 8k Pimax because it doesn't stretch the pixels to create a bigger Fov. Sound to me like it's a great headset for sim use and even some games. I saw ShadowMask say Fallout 4 looks great, so I'm looking forward to seeing that and playing DCS World.
    Art3mis
    edited June 19
    RedRizla said:
    forestguy said:

@forestguy -  I heard Oculus told the guy behind ALVR that he has to remove the support for streaming games to the Oculus Rift from Steam. Also, is it just the hardware that you have a problem with when it comes to the HP Reverb? As far as I can see the HP Reverb beats Oculus Quest hands down if they get the problems sorted out. Oculus Quest is nothing more then a mobile games device and if Oculus get their way you won't be able to stream games to it from Steam.
    So what exactly is it that you don't like about  the HP Reverb? It has the same Fov as most headsets and the reviews I've seen say it is better then the 8k Pimax because it doesn't stretch the pixels to create a bigger Fov. Sound to me like it's a great headset for sim use and even some games. I saw ShadowMask say Fallout 4 looks great, so I'm looking forward to seeing that and playing DCS World.
    @RedRizla Can you please share the link where the guy that created ALVR had to remove support for streaming games, I don't think that is the case but I'm prepared to be proved wrong :smile: 

Ok, leaving out the numerous technical issues the HP Reverb has that hopefully will be addressed (what a botched up launch btw), put it this way, I sold the Pimax 5K + prior to getting a HP Reverb and really miss the FOV of the Pimax, I didn't think I would as much but I do. Yes the HP Reverb is slightly clearer and physically built better than the Pimax, but the vertical FOV of the HP Reverb seems smaller than the CV1 and that really, for me, is not a great trade off. Pimax has FOV as the USP, Quest has wireless as the USP, HP Reverb has clarity as the USP, however the PImax and the Quest are closer to the clarity of the HP Reverb than the HP Reverb is to the USP of the Pimax or Quest.
    edited June 19
    @forestguy - Not sure if it's this guy behind ALVR, but it's the same thing isn't it? I'm guessing Oculus will apply it to everyone in the end.

edited June 19
    My super short 2 cents on the Reverb compared to the CV1:

The build finish feels cheaper.
    Headphones has substanstialy worse audio response, and they got too little cushioning.
    Cable is a heavy mess
    Controllers are ergonomically crappy, but gets the job done, while will eating your batteries in no time.
    The resolution truly is next gen. What everybody else has said about what that does to text/gauge readability is true. Next level stuff for sure. For instance looking at the fine detail on the components of the "Robot Repair" part in "The Lab" was a whole new experience.

BUT, now that the screen door effect is effectively gone, the next visual bottleneck rears its head. The mura on my unit was pretty bad, and I can only echo what Ben Lang said about its effect on perceived clarity.  Panning across a bight cloudy sky, or a uniform grey metal surface really felt like looking at a high resolution image through a set of greasy binocular lenses. Yeah, the FOV felt like the CV1, perhaps even a little narrower, as I do have a IPD of 70. I did feel some eyestrain I wasn't used to.

Since the right panel on my unit has a lot of defect pixels, it's going back. And if the option to refund presents itself, I'm gonna take it. I want the Index now.
    I might wait for the Acers headset, but no doubt it will be expensive with it's adjustable ipd ..etc.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,502 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I might wait for the Acers headset, but no doubt it will be expensive with it's adjustable ipd ..etc.

I think the new LG and Acer headsets look interesting but know they are high priced devices and will be Enterprise focused. For consumer it seems to be a Valve Index, HTC Cosmos, HP Reverb and Rift-S lineup - with whatever Samsung will reveal later in the year!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,410 Valuable Player
    I am chugging along happily with my Rift S every day.
    Glad I made the choice I did, at least for now. Will see how things shake out later in the year.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,802 Volunteer Moderator
    dburne said:
    Glad I made the choice I did, at least for now. Will see how things shake out later in the year.

I think I'm with you there dburne, I want the Reverb to be a success though as it would be good to have it as an option. I'm not too concerned about its controller quality or battery life as in this case as it would be used for flight and racing sims.

The Index is out of the question for me as it would mean starting from scratch and the whole kit is way too expensive.

The S was the right choice for me with its improved visuals and Touch. I'm just waiting for the flashes to get sorted and decent headphone accessories to become available before I can recommend it.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,502 Valuable Player
    dburne said:

We are really happy for you - its great to see satisfaction from a purchase - especially for those that have to watch the pennies - this is not a willy-waggling contest, this is about achieving the level of immersion you need to enjoy the experience. The whole inflated PC-masterrace element of some of the community is so self defeating. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 19
    kevinw729 said:
    dburne said:

We are really happy for you - its great to see satisfaction from a purchase - especially for those that have to watch the pennies - this is not a willy-waggling contest, this is about achieving the level of immersion you need to enjoy the experience. The whole inflated PC-masterrace element of some of the community is so self defeating. 
    @kevinw729 I need a better resolution VR headset is what I need. Why couldn't Oculus just have catered for those who wanted something a bit better as well as having a headset for low end PC's? If there was a Rift S pro that had higher resolution display's then I would have purchased that headset.
    The fact is Oculus are just cater for the low end PC's and people with Geforce 2080ti's want to see something better. It's a bit pointless having a Geforce 2080ti and having a Rift S if you ask me. At-least with Valve Index you are getting something more like the higher refresh rate of 120Hz to 144Hz that a Geforce 2080ti will make use of.
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    @forestguy - Not sure if it's this guy behind ALVR, but it's the same thing isn't it? I'm guessing Oculus will apply it to everyone in the end.

Thanks, don't think it is the same thing though and Oculus doesn't really want to go down the same road as ReVive where the community won.
    Art3mis
    edited June 20
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, the FOV felt like the CV1, perhaps even a little narrower, as I do have a IPD of 70. I did feel some eyestrain I wasn't used to.

This is the other thing that I couldn't understand, why is the maximum IPD 67? Forget that it is software only which is problematic in itself. Is this is another trade off for clarity? My IPD is 68.5 :neutral:
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 457
    Nexus 6
    edited June 19
    i think the maximum ipd for the rift s and reverb is small. my ipd is 72. so if i want better vr i have to shop around and make sure it;ll work for me in virtual desktop and ipd. not fun.

and the vive base station cost for a single unit in canadian dollars is 175, thats like 350 dollars plus tax and shipping for 2 base stations;

which ill need if i buy a pimax. which needs a gtx 1070 at minimum. its ugly imo. its all ugly. it shouldnt be so difficult.

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,802 Volunteer Moderator
    forestguy said:
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, the FOV felt like the CV1, perhaps even a little narrower, as I do have a IPD of 70. I did feel some eyestrain I wasn't used to.

This is the other thing that I couldn't understand, why is the maximum IPD 67? Forget that it is software only which is problematic in itself. Is this is another trade off for clarity? My IPD is 68.5 :neutral:

I posted this in another thread but I'll copy it here, it may help...

I have an IPD of 67 and that's good in the S. The sweet spots are large (the areas of good focus), I think notably larger than the original Rift but because the lenses are fixed in position, those sweet spots are also fixed. There may be some correction going on with the software IPD but I don't think it's able to fully compensate for fixed sweet spots if at all.

So if your eyes are around the 70-72mm IPD range, I think you'll notice that the sweet spots are becoming biased towards your nose... focus will be ok in the centre of your vision still but looking towards the right with your right eye... or left with your left eye may not be great. The reverse being true if you're at or near the minimum IPD. 

Some people may notice this more than others, those who move their heads more than their eyes may notice it less... some games may have more going on towards the periphery causing you to notice it more... there's probably quite a few factors here.

From my experience, an IPD of 67 I think is approximately where the focus is the same at the outer limits when compared with the original Rift but covers a noticeably greater area towards the inner limits of vision, so for me it's definitely better overall. 68 and above I think is where the limits of the outer focus start to become noticeably less when compared with CV1. 68.5 I think will be borderline and you'll probably want to test the S before deciding for yourself.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)