cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

Anonymous
Not applicable
It seems they are reverting the Release back to 1.37 for now as requested.

mashermets
Explorer
Well I opened a ticket did everything they asked still no better they said they will get back to me in 3 working days :neutral: who knows what's going on!?!

Danure
Explorer
This seems to be such a consistent issue that I don't understand why Oculus isn't addressing it. I have had this issue since purchase 2 weeks ago. Been on the beta. Tried every fix. Still get white static flashes!!!! Sometimes every few mintues. Sometimes not for an hour, but it never goes away 😞

mhajii210
Expert Protege
Hi guys. I just wanted to give an update on my situation. I've been getting 2-3 static flashes per hour since day 1 (5/22) and I've tried everything suggested by support and others. I decided a week ago to contact support and now they want to replace the cable. I've heard about others replacing the cable with no difference whatsoever in regards to the static flashes. Some have replaced the headset altogether and they're still getting the static flashes. I'm now seriously considering just returning my Rift S since it seems Oculus support feels this is a hardware issue and not software. I don't think they have any idea what is going on with these static flashes. That's a real bummer because otherwise I love my headset, but I only have until 6/22 to return it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
One User reported his replacement Headset had no Flashes...kinda just like we all had no flashes for the first week!
Go figure, I reckon it's a Software issue myself. Else they'd have tested those returned units and compared them with new units without any modification already to see in any Recall was needed.

Danure
Explorer
Can anyone confirm whether they have replaced their hardware and seen the flashes resolved with the new hardware?

Zahariel
Expert Protege
Latest reply from Oculus:

"Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about this static you've encountered, and I'm happy to help!

We're aware of this and we are actively investigating this issue. Currently we're attempting to determine the primary contributors, as this issue could occur at a large number of points within the system.

We don't have a timeline for a resolution to this, so I'd like to offer you the following options:

1. We have not yet ruled out the headset itself as the primary contributor. If you like, I can process a replacement for your Rift S. The total turnaround for this process is around 7 business days on average, from the moment you send in your current unit to the moment your replacement arrives. I cannot guarantee that a replacement will resolve this issue for you however.

2. Wait for our next update to the Oculus software. Unfortunately the internal investigation is unable to provide any concrete estimates there, however our current tentative goal is at least a week. It is far more likely that this will resolve your issue.

Please let me know which option you would prefer.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to include them in your reply. I'll be happy to continue to assist you!

Kind regards,

Oculus Support"

I'll wait for the patch to be honest, as I've said before the flashes are not game changing unless they cannot fix them.

Danure
Explorer
Thanks for the update Zahariel! That's the most useful info I've found so far. I have 2 days to decide whether to return my Rift S to Best Buy or hope for a patch that resolves the issue. While not game changing, I do find them very annoying. My CV1 never had any similar issues.

Yep, thanks or that info @Zahariel , a post to the forum from Oculus would have been good I think but then I'm not sure how widespread the problem is. It seems like a common issue but sometimes it can be deceiving when considering the number of headsets out there and the fact that people without an issue tend not to post about it... or perhaps not even visit the forum.

Anyway, I'll stick with my S for now and see what the next update brings.

mhajii210
Expert Protege

Zahariel said:

Latest reply from Oculus:

"Thanks for your patience while I reviewed your case. I'm sorry to hear about this static you've encountered, and I'm happy to help!

We're aware of this and we are actively investigating this issue. Currently we're attempting to determine the primary contributors, as this issue could occur at a large number of points within the system.

We don't have a timeline for a resolution to this, so I'd like to offer you the following options:

1. We have not yet ruled out the headset itself as the primary contributor. If you like, I can process a replacement for your Rift S. The total turnaround for this process is around 7 business days on average, from the moment you send in your current unit to the moment your replacement arrives. I cannot guarantee that a replacement will resolve this issue for you however.

2. Wait for our next update to the Oculus software. Unfortunately the internal investigation is unable to provide any concrete estimates there, however our current tentative goal is at least a week. It is far more likely that this will resolve your issue.

Please let me know which option you would prefer.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to include them in your reply. I'll be happy to continue to assist you!

Kind regards,

Oculus Support"

I'll wait for the patch to be honest, as I've said before the flashes are not game changing unless they cannot fix them.

I was so set on returning my Rift S, but after your post you really convinced me to be patient and wait. I hope I'm making the right decision since, as I said before, I only have until 6/22 to return it. Would you guys advise to even attempt a cable swap at this point, or should I just wait for the next firmware update? Oculus support is suggesting a new cable, but others have already tried that with no luck. Since I'm getting 2-3 static flashes per hour, I think it's a waste of time to get a new cable. What do you guys think?