cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 1.38 Release Rolling Out Now

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
The latest Rift system software v1.38 is beginning to roll out, and we wanted to take a moment to share an update on our development progress. This release contains a number of fixes for issues that some Rift S users reported, most notably a reduction in black screen occurrences and improvements to audio quality. Over the course of the 1.38 PTC, we released 3 additional stability updates to the software. These updates were directly informed by the feedback we received from the community members who opted into the PTC. Thank you so much for all your help, and please continue to utilize the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. Please note that 1.38 does not resolve all reported Rift S issues as some are still being investigated and debugged, including the white / static flashing issue and sporadic instances of tracking loss. Our team greatly appreciates your patience while we work on these outstanding issues. We will continue to share updates with the community as we have them. Thank you!

Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
258 REPLIES 258

XtremeHardcoreG
Explorer
CV1 user here. Was the stereo offset or anything involving the visuals like that tinkered with in the update? A week ago, I had substantially increased eyestrain with the PTC-- so I reverted to main release which resolved the issue. I left feedback but the update was still rammed through, so the eyestrain returned for me. 

For some reason there are still firmware updates to the CV1--- what changed in the CV1 firmware? Can we get a CV1 firmware change log? Or just firmware change log in general regardless of device. 

Also, can we get two separate forums for CV1 and S? The support of both is being intertwined with each other and people looking through the posts and comments can't figure out which is which. There is no reason for 2 different products with 2 different sets of issues to have their support and feedback intertwined.

Anonymous
Not applicable

krexx said:

Same problem as others.   "Can't reach Oculus  service"  When I follow repair and install directions the following pops up:  "Sorry we encountered an error during installation." and/or it just freezes halfway in the installation process.  

Fix here:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77246/can-t-reach-oculus-runtime-after-1-38-update#...

vfragos
Protege

JohnGB said:

thumbass said:

Now after numerous attempts...installing and uninstalling just for 1.38 to just get stuck updating and causing the Oculus VR runtime service to fail to start...now I can't even get 1.37 to finish...just gets stuck here every time:  qfv9qfgh4mzz.png
Anyone have any idea why?

A temporary work around is to run the installer and when it gets to the last sliver that it sticks at, you need to force close the installer. Then go into the Oculus software installation folder and manually run OVRServer_x64.exe, location C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and keep it open, followed by the Oculus client icon on the desk top and it’ll work then.

It’s a shitty workaround, but it’s the best option we have for now.

Thank you!! Just saved me of going crazy! It's working, i hope long after! The only problem for now it says it needs to update some of my apps but it fails.

thumbass
Explorer

JohnGB said:

thumbass said:

Now after numerous attempts...installing and uninstalling just for 1.38 to just get stuck updating and causing the Oculus VR runtime service to fail to start...now I can't even get 1.37 to finish...just gets stuck here every time:  qfv9qfgh4mzz.png
Anyone have any idea why?

A temporary work around is to run the installer and when it gets to the last sliver that it sticks at, you need to force close the installer. Then go into the Oculus software installation folder and manually run OVRServer_x64.exe, location C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and keep it open, followed by the Oculus client icon on the desk top and it’ll work then.

It’s a shitty workaround, but it’s the best option we have for now.

Ok...I got it to work with your steps but once I closed everything the runtime service doesn't start.  Do I have to open that OVRServer_x64.exe manually every time?

SpiceLife72
Adventurer
Just updated here.  No problems.

hopper1111
Honored Guest
Update and no problem. I am still on the win10 version 1809, i guess the 1903 version is not good for the new Oculus update.

thumbass
Explorer
Doing some more digging...I currently have to follow JohnGB's steps every time to use my Oculus Rift S.  I looked at the error log when I just try to open the Oculus home via the icon.  If I open by double clicker or as Administrator the runtime service won't run and the error I get is the following:  

[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Starting up OVRLibraryService v1.16.0.0.
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Starting up.
[Warning] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] IPC connection attempt failed!
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] IPC thread running; waiting for Oaf to connect.
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] App libraries for this user: [CORE_DATA]
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] OVRLibraryService starting in service mode.  Arguments: [restart-service]
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Creating NTFS transaction.
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Attempting to start service 'OVRService'.
[Error] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Exception restarting Runtime service:
Daybreak.Core.Smc+SmcException: Exception starting service 'OVRService'. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot open OVRService service on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is denied
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GetServiceHandle(Int32 desiredAccess)
   at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
   at Daybreak.Core.Smc.StartService(String serviceName)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Daybreak.Core.Smc.StartService(String serviceName)
   at OVRLibraryService.ServiceMode.RestartService()
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Operation failed.  Rolling back changes.
[Error] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Exception in PerformBlockInTransaction():
System.Exception: Block returned GenericFailure.
   at Daybreak.OVRLibraryService.Libraries.LibraryController.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<PerformBlockInTransactionDeprecated>b__0(IntPtr transaction)
   at Daybreak.Core.TxF.PerformBlockInTransaction(Func`2 block, Nullable`1 existingTransaction)
   at Daybreak.OVRLibraryService.Libraries.LibraryController.PerformBlockInTransactionDeprecated(Func`2 block)
[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Exiting with code 1 (GenericFailure).
Also a lot of my games seem to require additional system or 3rd party software and fail to fully download.  Any thoughts?

stickdude32
Honored Guest
So I followed what JohnGB had said and opened the OVRServer_x64 and as it was running through the whole debug or whatever, I put my hand in front of the headset sensor and it opened the app, downloaded the Firmware update and still seems that it still has that problem.
So what I did was I made a shortcut to the OVRServer_x64 and when it runs, the light on the headset goes from orange to white, allowing it to work.

So make the shortcut to your desktop and use that instead of the app launcher pretty much

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
The Update tricked me while writing a game review in the Store, now I've got 1.38 too. After installing I got a message that Oculus needed to update a driver - so I did that. But it seems that everything is working perfectly. Even my old version of Oculus Tray Tool still forces ss 2.0. It did seem like Home started at lot faster than usual, but I only tried it once. Had no problems downloading or installing.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Update and no problem. I am still on the win10 version 1809, i guess the 1903 version is not good for the new Oculus update.

I updated to win10 1903 before the latest 1.38 update and everything went well and works fine with my Rift cv1.  You might be right with a Rift S though, who knows?

I agree with the OP that said earlier that it would be a good idea to split the Rift cv1 and Rift S into separate sections.  At least for a while.  It must be starting to get very confusing for people with either headset/controllers (and sensors w/cv1) to see what issues are applicable to their headset/controllers (and sensors w/cv1).

At the very least I think it would be a good idea to have separate troubleshooting threads for the Rift cv1 and Rift S.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers