New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.38 Release Rolling Out Now

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    krexx said:
    Same problem as others.   "Can't reach Oculus  service"  When I follow repair and install directions the following pops up:  "Sorry we encountered an error during installation." and/or it just freezes halfway in the installation process.  
    Fix here:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77246/can-t-reach-oculus-runtime-after-1-38-update#latest
  • vfragosvfragos Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    JohnGB said:
    thumbass said:
    Now after numerous attempts...installing and uninstalling just for 1.38 to just get stuck updating and causing the Oculus VR runtime service to fail to start...now I can't even get 1.37 to finish...just gets stuck here every time:  
    Anyone have any idea why?

A temporary work around is to run the installer and when it gets to the last sliver that it sticks at, you need to force close the installer. Then go into the Oculus software installation folder and manually run OVRServer_x64.exe, location C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and keep it open, followed by the Oculus client icon on the desk top and it’ll work then.

It’s a shitty workaround, but it’s the best option we have for now.

Thank you!! Just saved me of going crazy! It's working, i hope long after! The only problem for now it says it needs to update some of my apps but it fails.
  • thumbassthumbass Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    JohnGB said:
    thumbass said:
    Now after numerous attempts...installing and uninstalling just for 1.38 to just get stuck updating and causing the Oculus VR runtime service to fail to start...now I can't even get 1.37 to finish...just gets stuck here every time:  
    Anyone have any idea why?

A temporary work around is to run the installer and when it gets to the last sliver that it sticks at, you need to force close the installer. Then go into the Oculus software installation folder and manually run OVRServer_x64.exe, location C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime and keep it open, followed by the Oculus client icon on the desk top and it’ll work then.

It’s a shitty workaround, but it’s the best option we have for now.

Ok...I got it to work with your steps but once I closed everything the runtime service doesn't start.  Do I have to open that OVRServer_x64.exe manually every time?
  • SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Just updated here.  No problems.
  • hopper1111hopper1111 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 18
    Update and no problem. I am still on the win10 version 1809, i guess the 1903 version is not good for the new Oculus update.
    NerveGear
    Doing some more digging...I currently have to follow JohnGB's steps every time to use my Oculus Rift S.  I looked at the error log when I just try to open the Oculus home via the icon.  If I open by double clicker or as Administrator the runtime service won't run and the error I get is the following:  

[Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Starting up OVRLibraryService v1.16.0.0.
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Starting up.
    [Warning] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] IPC connection attempt failed!
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] IPC thread running; waiting for Oaf to connect.
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] App libraries for this user: [CORE_DATA]
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] OVRLibraryService starting in service mode.  Arguments: [restart-service]
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Creating NTFS transaction.
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Attempting to start service 'OVRService'.
    [Error] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Exception restarting Runtime service:
    Daybreak.Core.Smc+SmcException: Exception starting service 'OVRService'. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot open OVRService service on computer '.'. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: Access is denied
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.GetServiceHandle(Int32 desiredAccess)
       at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.Start(String[] args)
       at Daybreak.Core.Smc.StartService(String serviceName)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Daybreak.Core.Smc.StartService(String serviceName)
       at OVRLibraryService.ServiceMode.RestartService()
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Operation failed.  Rolling back changes.
    [Error] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Exception in PerformBlockInTransaction():
    System.Exception: Block returned GenericFailure.
       at Daybreak.OVRLibraryService.Libraries.LibraryController.<>c__DisplayClass19_0.<PerformBlockInTransactionDeprecated>b__0(IntPtr transaction)
       at Daybreak.Core.TxF.PerformBlockInTransaction[T](Func`2 block, Nullable`1 existingTransaction)
       at Daybreak.OVRLibraryService.Libraries.LibraryController.PerformBlockInTransactionDeprecated(Func`2 block)
    [Debug] [6/18/2019 5:20:59 PM] Exiting with code 1 (GenericFailure).
    Also a lot of my games seem to require additional system or 3rd party software and fail to fully download.  Any thoughts?

• stickdude32stickdude32 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 18
    So I followed what JohnGB had said and opened the OVRServer_x64 and as it was running through the whole debug or whatever, I put my hand in front of the headset sensor and it opened the app, downloaded the Firmware update and still seems that it still has that problem.
    So what I did was I made a shortcut to the OVRServer_x64 and when it runs, the light on the headset goes from orange to white, allowing it to work.

So make the shortcut to your desktop and use that instead of the app launcher pretty much
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,726 Valuable Player
    The Update tricked me while writing a game review in the Store, now I've got 1.38 too. After installing I got a message that Oculus needed to update a driver - so I did that. But it seems that everything is working perfectly. Even my old version of Oculus Tray Tool still forces ss 2.0. It did seem like Home started at lot faster than usual, but I only tried it once. Had no problems downloading or installing.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,462
    Project 2501
    Update and no problem. I am still on the win10 version 1809, i guess the 1903 version is not good for the new Oculus update.
    I updated to win10 1903 before the latest 1.38 update and everything went well and works fine with my Rift cv1.  You might be right with a Rift S though, who knows?

I agree with the OP that said earlier that it would be a good idea to split the Rift cv1 and Rift S into separate sections.  At least for a while.  It must be starting to get very confusing for people with either headset/controllers (and sensors w/cv1) to see what issues are applicable to their headset/controllers (and sensors w/cv1).

At the very least I think it would be a good idea to have separate troubleshooting threads for the Rift cv1 and Rift S.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• davemcreedavemcree Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited June 18
    Sooo, still no word from dev? Is the service just going to be broken forever, and we're going ot have this abortion of a work around as common practice now?

• xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    edited June 18
    Just updated to 1.38 Everything seems to be running  Smooth. 4790k ASUS Z97 pro
  • lebar63lebar63 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    After Oculus Update 1.38 my headset display black screen!
    On Device Panel everything seems right.Windows Update OK, GPU driver update OK.
    But in the headset there are black screen. What could be the problem and what is the solution
    The same for me. did you find the solution ?
    Wintermute
    edited June 18
    My Update took 10 to 15mins. 2days ago it took about 45min! Blackscreen and doesn't work except audio but it did that before the update and I think it's either a broken Oculus App from trying to fix an issue over the GPU Drivers OR it's broke. I really don't get why a Desktop seriously needs:
    1. A really shit Audio Chip
    2. A really shit Graphics Chip
    Both of which are just shit and ruin what we want to do when using other superior Cards/Devices.
    It's just shit. Windows also has so many shit things like that blurred Login and "Wait at LOGIN if Network is not found" (so waits literally forever!) as used for the loading of images which last 0.1secs on your STARTUP  LOGIN. Longer if you use the LOGIN for Awake but it's a blurred image now. It's just shit!
  • zkosnzkosn Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have resolved two of the 3 main issues for me.   

Resolve might be a strong word since it's still not totally fixed, but it does survive reboots.

1. Finish the install (or presumably the repair, though I'm long past that). 
    Thumbass's post above led me to search for Daybreak.Core.Smc+SmcException and this came up in 2017.
    Follow CU_zachshaver's suggestion, which is creating a batch file to run while you're installing the Oculus software.  The basic command is (from admin prompt):  sc.exe config "OVRLibraryService" obj= "LocalSystem"  
    The batch repeats it over and over until the Oculus setup gets to that point (progress bar right before Capital O).
    The install finishes, praise be, under his eye.

The primary thing that seems to be fixed here is the OVRLibarary service will now start automatically.

2. After running OVRServer_x64.exe manually I have a lot of programs requiring redistributables.  
    They are located in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Redistributables.    I believe they were downloaded, so I can't say what you have, nor say what you *should* run.  The ones for me that were already installed said so.   (For instance, I have every Visual C++ redist 32 bit and 64 bit since 2005.  Obviously every one of those is not needed on my 64 bit system.  They were already installed.  My feeling is that the openal installer was the trick for me.)    Make sure to restart OVRServer_x64.exe so it can load the manifests.

3.  OVRServer_x64.exe from the C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime  still doesn't run automatically.   Maybe someone can figure that out.   Running it (with it's console window open) manually brings everything back to "normal".     If you don't do this first, you'll get the dreaded Verifying App or Can't reach service.  Don't repair. Run OVRServer_x64.exe because that's what it's looking for.
    Wintermute
    edited June 18
    Are you all seeing the same OVRService_x64 version as this long named one in Tasks>Processes?

NerveGear
    zkosn said:
    I have resolved two of the 3 main issues for me.   

Resolve might be a strong word since it's still not totally fixed, but it does survive reboots.

1. Finish the install (or presumably the repair, though I'm long past that). 
    Thumbass's post above led me to search for Daybreak.Core.Smc+SmcException and this came up in 2017.
    Follow CU_zachshaver's suggestion, which is creating a batch file to run while you're installing the Oculus software.  The basic command is (from admin prompt):  sc.exe config "OVRLibraryService" obj= "LocalSystem"  
    The batch repeats it over and over until the Oculus setup gets to that point (progress bar right before Capital O).
    The install finishes, praise be, under his eye.

The primary thing that seems to be fixed here is the OVRLibarary service will now start automatically.

2. After running OVRServer_x64.exe manually I have a lot of programs requiring redistributables.  
    They are located in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Redistributables.    I believe they were downloaded, so I can't say what you have, nor say what you *should* run.  The ones for me that were already installed said so.   (For instance, I have every Visual C++ redist 32 bit and 64 bit since 2005.  Obviously every one of those is not needed on my 64 bit system.  They were already installed.  My feeling is that the openal installer was the trick for me.)    Make sure to restart OVRServer_x64.exe so it can load the manifests.

3.  OVRServer_x64.exe from the C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime  still doesn't run automatically.   Maybe someone can figure that out.   Running it (with it's console window open) manually brings everything back to "normal".     If you don't do this first, you'll get the dreaded Verifying App or Can't reach service.  Don't repair. Run OVRServer_x64.exe because that's what it's looking for.
    I don't think that OVRServer_x64.exe normally runs when you open the Oculus home by default...We are running this, which allows Oculus home to work but if you look in services the Oculus runtime service isn't even running when OVRServer_x64.exe is running, allowing us to use the Oculus Home app.  
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,205
    Wintermute
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Are you all seeing the same OVRService_x64 version as this long named one in Tasks>Processes?

Yes, I have this background process too.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Wintermute
    edited June 18
    Those 3 Processes always run which is normal. If your old RIFT were to start the APP at launch it's due to having the sensor pick up your VRCover which RIFT S hasn't got yet.
    2 Services we should see are OVRService=Running & OVRLibraryService = Stopped. This is normal. If you have to manually Start the OVRService then you should look into reinstalling Oculus.
  • lieoyvlieoyv Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    lebar63 said:
    But in the headset there are black screen. What could be the problem and what is the solution
    I'm also having this issue - bad firmware update for some Rift revisions? 
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    edited June 18
    So far, this made my Rift S worse.  It used to work flawlessly, now only the audio works when I put it on.  After rebooting, it worked for a little bit, then froze up, and I'm back to audio only. 

Also tried restarting services...reinstalling the software...updating my graphics drivers...

Way to make my Rift S useless.
    Wintermute
    edited June 18
    Is there one person who has fixed the Blackscreen issue and was it by having to do a fresh OS Install? Even using Regscanner may also have affected other things like auto-audio switching or seeing settings screen on the icon. Oculus has always been like that so nothing new here once problems get onto a drive.
    I remember first I used my old Rift I always could not get it to power up unless I used a HMDI>DP Adapter on either the Rift OR the Monitor. For me it would only work when used on the Rift but in later versions it became fine to work on either. Now we are given a DP, I had this working by keeping the Monitor with the Adapter and putting RIFT S into the 2nd or 3rd DP slot (didn't matter which). Now since it's screwed up I'm trying without the unnecessary Adapter and putting my Monitor direct to HMDI but could this have caused fault here perhaps? Depends on what all the others use in comparison.

Oh one thing it has fixed is the loading Icon of the Steam Games into Library! :D
  • Jason218302Jason218302 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    LOL well my oculus was working Great then BAM! Also I heard they took the steam app off of Quest. If they make it to where I cant play my steam games then I'm done and I will buy the VIVE. I spent alot of money in the oculus store but even more on steam. I dont see why they cant just issue a roll back link. 
  • HaRdCoReTomHaRdCoReTom Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    lebar63 said:
    I've tried everthing that was possible, but nothing change. It wont work.
  • Quijote1Quijote1 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I just learned something. After you do a software update, it isn't good enough to just reboot. YOU NEED TO TURN THE COMPUTER COMPLETELY OFF! When the computer starts cold, it identifies devices that are plugged in, loads the correct drivers for those devices, establishes handshaking, and then passes the devices to the OS. I think that a reboot reloads the OS, but uses the connections already established. This made a big difference for me. Hope it works for you!
    Wintermute
    Well it is supposed to work as designed and just update. I tried your idea but not working.
  • lieoyvlieoyv Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    lebar63 said:

Seems that update 1.38 does not like unicode characters in file path. Does your Windows account name/profile name contain non-english characters - try creating a new windows account with all english characters in name - it worked for me.
  • lebar63lebar63 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    lieoyv said:
    lebar63 said:

Seems that update 1.38 does not like unicode characters in file path. Does your Windows account name/profile name contain non-english characters - try creating a new windows account with all english characters in name - it worked for me.

a big thank you, it works !!!!!
  • SpiceLife72SpiceLife72 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    I have not noticed any difference in the sound with 1.38. 

Still can barely here it.

• DDM_Reaper20DDM_Reaper20 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I have not noticed any difference in the sound with 1.38. 

Still can barely here it.

Same here. To be frank, I wonder why they felt the need to cut corners with that. The audio jack DOES allow me to plug in in-ears, but that results in intermittent crackling/static. 

My Rift S was a gift. Performing gift horse dentistry is not the done thing, but given the intermittent white flashes... I just hope I don't have to send this in, 'cause if I have to, they can keep it.--
    Wintermute
    One bizarre thing I encountered...when I tried the replacement cable it needed the Touch Paired again!
    Same again when going back to old cable as no change to Blackscreen. It needed Pairing yet again!
    Has anyone else had this?