cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift 1.38 Release Rolling Out Now

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
The latest Rift system software v1.38 is beginning to roll out, and we wanted to take a moment to share an update on our development progress. This release contains a number of fixes for issues that some Rift S users reported, most notably a reduction in black screen occurrences and improvements to audio quality. Over the course of the 1.38 PTC, we released 3 additional stability updates to the software. These updates were directly informed by the feedback we received from the community members who opted into the PTC. Thank you so much for all your help, and please continue to utilize the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. Please note that 1.38 does not resolve all reported Rift S issues as some are still being investigated and debugged, including the white / static flashing issue and sporadic instances of tracking loss. Our team greatly appreciates your patience while we work on these outstanding issues. We will continue to share updates with the community as we have them. Thank you!

Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
258 REPLIES 258

Hanover
Rising Star
So far, this made my Rift S worse.  It used to work flawlessly, now only the audio works when I put it on.  After rebooting, it worked for a little bit, then froze up, and I'm back to audio only. 

Also tried restarting services...reinstalling the software...updating my graphics drivers...

Way to make my Rift S useless.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there one person who has fixed the Blackscreen issue and was it by having to do a fresh OS Install? Even using Regscanner may also have affected other things like auto-audio switching or seeing settings screen on the icon. Oculus has always been like that so nothing new here once problems get onto a drive.
I remember first I used my old Rift I always could not get it to power up unless I used a HMDI>DP Adapter on either the Rift OR the Monitor. For me it would only work when used on the Rift but in later versions it became fine to work on either. Now we are given a DP, I had this working by keeping the Monitor with the Adapter and putting RIFT S into the 2nd or 3rd DP slot (didn't matter which). Now since it's screwed up I'm trying without the unnecessary Adapter and putting my Monitor direct to HMDI but could this have caused fault here perhaps? Depends on what all the others use in comparison.

Oh one thing it has fixed is the loading Icon of the Steam Games into Library! 😄

Jason218302
Honored Guest
LOL well my oculus was working Great then BAM! Also I heard they took the steam app off of Quest. If they make it to where I cant play my steam games then I'm done and I will buy the VIVE. I spent alot of money in the oculus store but even more on steam. I dont see why they cant just issue a roll back link. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

lebar63 said:

After Oculus Update 1.38 my headset display black screen!
On Device Panel everything seems right.Windows Update OK, GPU driver update OK.
But in the headset there are black screen. What could be the problem and what is the solution

The same for me. did you find the solution ?

I've tried everthing that was possible, but nothing change. It wont work.

Quijote1
Explorer
I just learned something. After you do a software update, it isn't good enough to just reboot. YOU NEED TO TURN THE COMPUTER COMPLETELY OFF! When the computer starts cold, it identifies devices that are plugged in, loads the correct drivers for those devices, establishes handshaking, and then passes the devices to the OS. I think that a reboot reloads the OS, but uses the connections already established. This made a big difference for me. Hope it works for you!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it is supposed to work as designed and just update. I tried your idea but not working.

lieoyv
Honored Guest

lebar63 said:

But in the headset there are black screen. What could be the problem and what is the solution

Seems that update 1.38 does not like unicode characters in file path. Does your Windows account name/profile name contain non-english characters - try creating a new windows account with all english characters in name - it worked for me.

lebar63
Honored Guest

lieoyv said:

lebar63 said:

Seems that update 1.38 does not like unicode characters in file path. Does your Windows account name/profile name contain non-english characters - try creating a new windows account with all english characters in name - it worked for me.

a big thank you, it works !!!!!

SpiceLife72
Adventurer
I have not noticed any difference in the sound with 1.38. 

Still can barely here it.

DDM_Reaper20
Explorer

I have not noticed any difference in the sound with 1.38. 

Still can barely here it.

Same here. To be frank, I wonder why they felt the need to cut corners with that. The audio jack DOES allow me to plug in in-ears, but that results in intermittent crackling/static. 

My Rift S was a gift. Performing gift horse dentistry is not the done thing, but given the intermittent white flashes... I just hope I don't have to send this in, 'cause if I have to, they can keep it.--