cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hy guys,

i get no picture when i should use my rift s to end the setup in VR. Only black screen, white led and sound, but no picture. Reinstalled, reconnected, new driver and so on.
Im on a i7 4790k, gtx 1080. Till now i put hours in this damn thing....
177 REPLIES 177

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine worked until the day before it was due to Upgrade. When I came back to it next day, blackscreen but audio, did a Setup>Repair leading to to Update Drivers/Firmware did so to 1.38 and then another lot was prompting again but it reverted to 1.37 then next day it got the Update Official Roll out to 1.38 again but still no screen and not spinning dots just audio.
In setting it up it complained about gpu driver issue. Did roll back of onboard INTEL and Nvidia cleaned out to 430.86 again. Wondering now if a fresh OS install will work or has my RIFT S been put to SLEEP by Suspended Power and won't AWAKE! It really should not require any tampering with those settings and I had not before this.
Surely the FIRMWARE did not take place. May need a new one regardless of a fresh install.

MikePixelPusher
Protege

MAC_MAN86 said:

Mine worked until the day before it was due to Upgrade. When I came back to it next day, blackscreen but audio, did a Setup>Repair leading to to Update Drivers/Firmware did so to 1.38 and then another lot was prompting again but it reverted to 1.37 then next day it got the Update Official Roll out to 1.38 again but still no screen and not spinning dots just audio.
In setting it up it complained about gpu driver issue. Did roll back of onboard INTEL and Nvidia cleaned out to 430.86 again. Wondering now if a fresh OS install will work or has my RIFT S been put to SLEEP by Suspended Power and won't AWAKE! It really should not require any tampering with those settings and I had not before this.
Surely the FIRMWARE did not take place. May need a new one regardless of a fresh install.

I may have missed it but did you try the 417.77 Nvidia driver?
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

Slayemin
Expert Protege
Hey guys, I was experiencing the same issue with the black screen on the Rift S during the initial setup.
The fix was to update my NVidia drivers to the latest version.

1) I verified that the Rift S worked on another computer, so I know the hardware itself was not defective.
2) I made sure that I had all of the latest Windows Updates installed for Windows 10 (Version 1809, OS Build 17763.557) (find this by running "winver")
3) Just to be safe, I rebooted my computer. This didn't help. I was still getting the black display, so I compared the driver version on my computer against the one that worked. The drivers on the other computer were barely more up to date, I was off by a month.
4) I went to the NVidia website and downloaded the Geforce Experience and let it auto-update my drivers to 430.86. After the driver install completed, I closed the Oculus app and then re-opened it. A moment later, I was getting display within the HMD and seeing the pass through camera for setup.

My GPU is an NVidia 2080 RTX.

So, update your video card drivers. The rift S was released very recently, so even if your drivers are a month old (as mine were), they may still be outdated.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes but many of us already had 430.86 working, then Win10 1903 working, and then one day our screens went BLACK. 
The ONLY thing I did was try using a USB>USB C Adapter (still with DP for GTX1080) to try free up the only USB3.1 Gen2 slot. Well at this time it acted exactly as it did when I had previously tried out the Standard USB 3.1 Gen1 Slots and also a USB 3.0 PCIe Card. All of which started to give stuck Touch outside of the Guardian (with RIFT S it does not matter where they are). I continued with what work back to the Gen2 Slot for 10hours of DCS learning how to use Radar and Fire and Dodge Missiles. I even did all this in total darkness until sunrise by use of an IR illuminator (I don't put blame on that as it worked even better!) Next day it was blank.
Right now I have nuked Oculus fully including Registry and all Games. It worked totally fine on RIFT even.

That USB>USB C Adapter  is simply a mini USB3.1 Gen2 and although it can send access to the onboard GPU it should not have mattered as Oculus would select the Nvidia I hope!

RepixReal
Honored Guest
Mine worked for a whole crazy wild 40 minutes before going black.... Technically innovative.. -.-

bokharij
Honored Guest
I just got my Rift S yesterday and I encountered this issue on my MSI laptop. Using 417 Nvidia drivers seemed to fix the issue. Though I didn't get a chance to actually use it for a long duration because of all the troubleshooting. I noticed Oculus Support is aware of this issue and I hope they fix it in an update maybe collaborating with Nvidia.

sraura
Heroic Explorer

RepixReal said:

Mine worked for a whole crazy wild 40 minutes before going black.... Technically innovative.. -.-

In many cases where "it worked for x amount of time b4 going black" it has been power related issue. Likely bad PSU or USB ports which can't provide enough power (for all connected devices).

Other main reason for such events has been loose cable connector on HMD's end.

McSelim
Honored Guest
Gona Refund my Rift S that I bought just today, update if its goes good.

MikePixelPusher
Protege

sraura said:

RepixReal said:

In many cases where "it worked for x amount of time b4 going black" it has been power related issue. Likely bad PSU or USB ports which can't provide enough power (for all connected devices).

Other main reason for such events has been loose cable connector on HMD's end.

Mine only worked for 10-15 secs until it blacked out like many others. Then I put in driver 417.77 and now it works great. But that's just a band aid. We are going to need to update our drivers in order to keep stability and performance. 
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

blacky75
Explorer
Just found this post now!

Same issues, black screen (rtx 2080ti with the rift s). Before my upgrade it ran fine on the 1080..... it ran a bit on the 2080ti, then a firmware update screwed it from functioning. did even a fresh windows 10 64b re-install by scratch....blackscreen (sometimes a 3 dot graphic appears, but nothing more).
My ticket at oculus is still on its way... I excahnged a few times with the support, and applied tested everything....  now time is getting long! ::smile:
specs: MB-Asus P9X79, CPU-i7 4820K (not OC'ed) Watercooled, RAM-64Gb, SSDs, GC-Zotac AmpExtreme 2080ti, Oculus Rift S, 3x32Samsung Screen