cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Valve just posted a long article about FOV, pretty cool stuff  ❤️  B)

https://www.valvesoftware.com/sv/index/deep-dive/fov

Valve posted actual info? They must have gotten hacked. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for that mate!

What's not clear to me is how the 5 degree/eye lens canting is going to work for all VR systems.  They say that normal rear projection should handle this but I'm not sure it will if you load Oculus Store apps with Revive and/or use opencompositeVR?  This is the info so far;

"The main downside of canting is that both the existing software content library and the field of GPU rendering hardware are all typically optimized for parallel eyes. Fortunately, this may be readily compensated for in software using the re-projection techniques we already depend on for maintaining a constant frame rate. We just need to do a tiny bit every frame.... This way, apps past, present, and future may continue rendering in parallel as they always have, and they will "just work" for HMDs with mild amounts of cant angles."

I guess we will not really know for sure until brave beta testers with deep pocket let us know, lol! 

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

pyroth309
Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

RuneSR2 said:

Thanks for that mate!

What's not clear to me is how the 5 degree/eye lens canting is going to work for all VR systems.  They say that normal rear projection should handle this but I'm not sure it will if you load Oculus Store apps with Revive and/or use opencompositeVR?  This is the info so far;

"The main downside of canting is that both the existing software content library and the field of GPU rendering hardware are all typically optimized for parallel eyes. Fortunately, this may be readily compensated for in software using the re-projection techniques we already depend on for maintaining a constant frame rate. We just need to do a tiny bit every frame.... This way, apps past, present, and future may continue rendering in parallel as they always have, and they will "just work" for HMDs with mild amounts of cant angles."

I guess we will not really know for sure until brave beta testers with deep pocket let us know, lol! 

I think with the way Revive works is that it uses SteamVR primarily and basically hacks the Oculus games to work with Steam. If that's the case then canting should still be accounted for by SteamVR like it would for any other game. When I use Re-Vive, Supersampling and all that is still done with SteamVR and all of my normal Steam functions still work. We won't know for sure until someone tries it though as I think the Re-Vive dev only has Knuckles and not an Index. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

Something big also just happened for The Talos Principle - a massive 6GB patch. And no one knows why - the devs say nothing - but many speculate it has something to do with the Index:

I've wanted to try this game for a while, thanks for reminding me, I think this will be one of my next games to buy.

Is it as good as it looks in the trailers to play?

And any problems on Rift?

BTW, Talos VR is on sale today for just $6:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/257510/The_Talos_Principle/ 

Some speculate it's because of the recent Knuckles support, but Croteam has had similar sales before, so I'm not sure the sale reflects Knuckles support...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
based on my experience. i can game on the rift at 720p in virtual desktop. with the gtx 1060;

but the videocard is not getting 90fps. 70 fps about. i looked at the nvidia video cards and saw i would need a gtx 2070 to play the apex legends at 90fps on the drop and in game, on the drop now i get 46 fps or so.

i looked at the valve index and its resolution is twice that of 720p, its 1440p.

so take the gtx 2070, and multiply its fps power by 2, and thats what youll need to power the valve index and play the apex legends game at 1440p. the 2070 vs 2080ti has the 2080 ti about another half of the fps the 2070 is putting out, which puts it a bit too slow to run the valve index at 1440p and play apex legends at 90fps.

so it looks like youll have a hard time with the fps in the valve index and videocard.

i remember a while back people would speculate how it would be if the vr headset was too advanced for the videocards, and now we see that happen. even the most powerful videocard for consumers in existence is too weak!

let alone with no fancy ray tracing added.

but we will see when the nda is released.

Wildt
Consultant

Quite the Johnson on that guy! :hushed:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
i like to think of him as a gogo yubari type swing instead

i aint no gogo yubari though. not in apex legends.

Luciferous
Consultant

based on my experience. i can game on the rift at 720p in virtual desktop. with the gtx 1060;

but the videocard is not getting 90fps. 70 fps about. i looked at the nvidia video cards and saw i would need a gtx 2070 to play the apex legends at 90fps on the drop and in game, on the drop now i get 46 fps or so.

i looked at the valve index and its resolution is twice that of 720p, its 1440p.

so take the gtx 2070, and multiply its fps power by 2, and thats what youll need to power the valve index and play the apex legends game at 1440p. the 2070 vs 2080ti has the 2080 ti about another half of the fps the 2070 is putting out, which puts it a bit too slow to run the valve index at 1440p and play apex legends at 90fps.

so it looks like youll have a hard time with the fps in the valve index and videocard.

i remember a while back people would speculate how it would be if the vr headset was too advanced for the videocards, and now we see that happen. even the most powerful videocard for consumers in existence is too weak!

let alone with no fancy ray tracing added.

but we will see when the nda is released.

My understanding is you can set the index to 80/90/120/144. I have heard quite a few reports that they have managed to run a lot of games successfully at 120 with a reasonable card. With 80 you are then only really dealing with the increased resolution. The HP Reverb seems to be doing well with a high end card running flight sims and that has a much higher resolution.

This makes it possible to scale the experience to your card and allows it to excel further when new more powerful cards become available.

No doubt though any HMD is going to struggle with FPS if you want to run things on full whack.

However I have now watched the girl twirling a fire ball three times which I find infinitely more amazing than the index. Ah women will they every invent something more interesting 🙂 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://youtu.be/yM25-lz1Yms

i8lmlawxac8e.jpg

https://www.steamvr.com/en/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
5 nights together with Freddy and the Index:

https://youtu.be/2OjlijxjAtE