New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why is there no browser on rift s like quest

I think the quest user interface is so much nicer and better than the rift s. WTF! No browser... Built in. What am I missing here..

Comments

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,658 Valuable Player
    Quest is standalone S is run by a computer that has the browser.
    WAAAGH!
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    Morgrum said:
    Quest is standalone S is run by a computer that has the browser.
    But the Go comes with a Browser!
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 478
    Trinity
    You can use the entire computer with the Rift-S, including your browsers. Open Dash (the belt menu), click on the computer icon on the right. It will open a screen in front of you, displaying your desktop. Open your brower as you would with a mouse, and that's all. You can even use a virtual 3D keyboard to type conveniently while in VR.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,284 Volunteer Moderator

Go is standalone too, that's why it needs its own browser.

As Morgrum says, the Rift uses whatever browser you like using on your PC, there's no need for another browser to be included in the interface.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • MONKEYKING65MONKEYKING65 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    The experience sucks. Way better in quest, which I returned. Couldn't evevfigurevit out on the rift s. Stupid if you ask me.
    ok
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    You can use the entire computer with the Rift-S, including your browsers. Open Dash (the belt menu), click on the computer icon on the right. It will open a screen in front of you, displaying your desktop. Open your brower as you would with a mouse, and that's all. You can even use a virtual 3D keyboard to type conveniently while in VR.

...and if you open the desktop with vorpX, you can use the desktop with actual keyboard and mouse.
    NerveGear
    Is there no app on the rift store that is just a browser? When I go to a video it will launch and go into full screen view VR mode... I tried the virtual desktop on the rift menu bar, and that did not give full screen. Seriously what a joke.
    Trinity
    edited June 21
    with vorpx desktop viewer you can use black background (surroundings), zoom/move the actual desktop window closer/further so that it fits your definition of "vr full screen" and open browser in that. When you turn browser to fullscreen (usually F11 or alt+enter), it will fill the window. Same goes with videos which you play on the browser... If lazy with mouse, at least in youtube shortcut key is f.

edit:
    Obviously if you want to use the built-in dash desktop from oculus home and want as clean experience as possible, you can google "oculus homeless".
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,623 Valuable Player
    edited June 21
    The experience sucks. Way better in quest, which I returned. Couldn't evevfigurevit out on the rift s. Stupid if you ask me.

Yeah it is stupid if someone can't figure out how to use their Desktop Browser with the Rift. It's literally a simple click of a button. Quest and GO do not have a Desktop for reasons that are painfully obvious.

The Rift is for people that have learned how to do more than simply tie their shoes. It obviously aint for everyone!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,853 Valuable Player
    Yeah Oculus deserves some criticism especially with the Rift S, however not having a browser is kind of well, out there.
    I click Virtual Desktop in Oculus Home, and have access to all my desktop along with my browser of choice anytime. I can even select one or both my monitors.
    And thankfully with the Rift S, a little more clarity.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited June 21
    dburne said:
    Yeah Oculus deserves some criticism especially with the Rift S, however not having a browser is kind of well, out there.
    I click Virtual Desktop in Oculus Home, and have access to all my desktop along with my browser of choice anytime. I can even select one or both my monitors.
    And thankfully with the Rift S, a little more clarity.

Agreed, but we don't need Virtual Desktop to use a browser with the Rift. And in this case, because the OP is a bit confused as to why a Standalone device needs a built-in Browser vs a PC-tethered device, suggesting the use of Virtual Desktop is going to make things worse. This is the type of person who will scream at the thought of needing a 3rd Party App.

And in the case of the Rift, it's not necessary. We can use our own Desktop Browser and Pin-It in to every VR Title that is actively running.
    NerveGear
    Great, can someone simply tell me how to do the following please. I want to go to a specificxxx website that has VR content. When I play the video, on the quest it will ask me to "start" in VR. When I say yes it goes full screen. How do I do this with rift s in the rift, not having to go back and forth with the keyboard to type and start videos
    edited June 21
    Great, can someone simply tell me how to do the following please. I want to go to a specificxxx website that has VR content. When I play the video, on the quest it will ask me to "start" in VR. When I say yes it goes full screen. How do I do this with rift s in the rift, not having to go back and forth with the keyboard to type and start videos

I am pretty sure that this question has been asked before by someone who speaks very similar to you. The answer is still the same:
    NerveGear
    I mean seriously, paste a url and download a video... this is streaming. use some crackass app developed by one guy in Europe. WTF... I returned the quest. Kept the Rift S to play iracing. Within 10 minutes I was up on quest using the browser and here with Rift S, I can't figure it out and have people telling me I am an idiot. Awesome.
    edited June 21
    why try and belittle me... yes, I see this video, this is the best video on the topic, I mean this is pathetic.

You set the belittling tone from the start. Calling things "stupid" and "a joke" and "pathetic."

EDIT:
    What Techy111 said below.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,583 Volunteer Moderator
    Well why come into a forum with your elbows out and an attitude.....? It's a community forum for like minded people to help each other.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

NerveGear
    maybe this works... firefox VR
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgEaNaH5E2E

NerveGear
    I am being realistic about the user experience of a piece of hardware/software. You on the other hand insult my intelligence and my physical being. My life is not this forum, with 15k posts. WTF is up with that. Quest is better in regards to surfing the web, you can admit it. Still noone has a clear simple answer on how to launch a VR 180 degree video on the Rift S.
    I am being realistic about the user experience of a piece of hardware/software.

No, you are insulting the hardware/software because you are not capable of resolving the problem yourself. You are angry that things aren't as easy as you require.

You on the other hand insult my intelligence and my physical being.
    I did not insult your physical being, but after you used the word "stupid" I did reply accordingly. If you don't want that type of rhetoric then don't introduce it.

My life is not this forum, with 15k posts. WTF is up with that.

I'm an active contributor of this forum for over 3 years. Insulting my post count won't help you.

Quest is better in regards to surfing the web, you can admit it.

Using my Desktop and Keyboard is better at Surfing the web.

Still noone has a clear simple answer on how to launch a VR 180 degree video on the Rift S.

You have the answers. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they don't exist.  Besides, I'm pretty sure you are the same poster known as "inceptional" who was recently banned. I argued with you plenty to know who you are. You argued this exact point in the exact same way. This thread is completely pointless.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Please keep it classy folks, this is a soft warning.

If you want to play 180 or 360 videos you can use Virtual Desktop and it's integrated video player.

https://www.vrdesktop.net/
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    You have no idea who I am and you are wrong. Clearly others are just as disappointed by the experience with the Rift S, not having a browser. I looked at the VRdesktop.net app, it's not clear, but from what I read, you have to paste in URLs and download videos. Not interested in that. Something so simple on the Quest is seemingly difficult to figure out on the Rift. I can't say this is a good experience.
    NerveGear
    Also - maybe you can tell me, what is the Virtual Desktop built-in on the Rifts belt menu? That didn't seem obvious on how to use and surf the web there either. Disappointing, plain and simple.
    Trinity
    edited June 21
    As @LZoltowski said - Virtual Desktop works...
    For 360 youtube video streaming also "YouTube VR" works. This one is free @ steam.

All sites which support webVR will work directly from any browser which also support webVR.

For good quality 180 degree video you practically have to download the HQ content (common filesizes vary from 1 to 30GB - sometimes even more) and play it on dedicated player like deo or whirligig and make sure you have proper codecs installed (k-lite codec pack for example).

With whirligig you can play most streaming content (including youtube) by creating insertvideonamehere.stm file and opening it with notepad and pasting link to streaming source into it.
    For example "LBL-LaT2017.stm" file would look like this when opened with notepad:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFVwdj_89BI
    Then you can open that .stm file directly in whirligig.
    edited June 21

The virtual desktop button brings up a window showing your PC desktop... it's like a virtual PC desktop.

Once you see your PC desktop, you can use it in the same way that you use your PC, to surf the web using whatever browser you like using.

I'm not sue what the problem here is and yes, you started the thread with the question.. What am I missing? and got the answer, with no aggravation from anyone.

Then you clearly didn't like the answers and decided to further your views with stupid, sucks, joke etc etc. BUt your suggestion of wanting full screen doesn't seem to make sense... full screen in VR is 360 and no current browser is designed to work that way included the browser in Quest, so there has to be a window of some sort.

You seem to be quite aggressively proclaiming your view unnecessarily, which is bound to get response you find insulting.

What's wrong with just saying 'hey you guys... I really like the Quest built-in browser and am wondering if the same can be implemented in the Rift Home', you know... keep it light and friendly, otherwise there's always going to be arguments.

Just like the only other person to express your views seemed to like to do... which is definitely not you, re-joining the forum after being banned for being too aggressive when people didn't agree with you... I mean him.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,583 Volunteer Moderator
    Ok this thread has been answered and is going nowhere fast. OP if you have a problem with this thread being closed, I'm only a PM away.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

This discussion has been closed.