cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is there no browser on rift s like quest

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the quest user interface is so much nicer and better than the rift s. WTF! No browser... Built in. What am I missing here..

27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am being realistic about the user experience of a piece of hardware/software. You on the other hand insult my intelligence and my physical being. My life is not this forum, with 15k posts. WTF is up with that. Quest is better in regards to surfing the web, you can admit it. Still noone has a clear simple answer on how to launch a VR 180 degree video on the Rift S.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I am being realistic about the user experience of a piece of hardware/software.

No, you are insulting the hardware/software because you are not capable of resolving the problem yourself. You are angry that things aren't as easy as you require.

You on the other hand insult my intelligence and my physical being.
I did not insult your physical being, but after you used the word "stupid" I did reply accordingly. If you don't want that type of rhetoric then don't introduce it.

My
life is not this forum, with 15k posts. WTF is up with that.

I'm an active contributor of this forum for over 3 years. Insulting my post count won't help you.

Quest is
better in regards to surfing the web, you can admit it.

Using my Desktop and Keyboard is better at Surfing the web.

Still noone has a
clear simple answer on how to launch a VR 180 degree video on the Rift
S.

You have the answers. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they don't exist.  Besides, I'm pretty sure you are the same poster known as "inceptional" who was recently banned. I argued with you plenty to know who you are. You argued this exact point in the exact same way. This thread is completely pointless.

LZoltowski
Champion
Please keep it classy folks, this is a soft warning.

If you want to play 180 or 360 videos you can use Virtual Desktop and it's integrated video player.

https://www.vrdesktop.net/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
You have no idea who I am and you are wrong. Clearly others are just as disappointed by the experience with the Rift S, not having a browser. I looked at the VRdesktop.net app, it's not clear, but from what I read, you have to paste in URLs and download videos. Not interested in that. Something so simple on the Quest is seemingly difficult to figure out on the Rift. I can't say this is a good experience.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also - maybe you can tell me, what is the Virtual Desktop built-in on the Rifts belt menu? That didn't seem obvious on how to use and surf the web there either. Disappointing, plain and simple.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
As @LZoltowski said - Virtual Desktop works...
For 360 youtube video streaming also "YouTube VR" works. This one is free @ steam.

All sites which support webVR will work directly from any browser which also support webVR.

For good quality 180 degree video you practically have to download the HQ content (common filesizes vary from 1 to 30GB - sometimes even more) and play it on dedicated player like deo or whirligig and make sure you have proper codecs installed (k-lite codec pack for example).

With whirligig you can play most streaming content (including youtube) by creating insertvideonamehere.stm file and opening it with notepad and pasting link to streaming source into it.
For example "LBL-LaT2017.stm" file would look like this when opened with notepad:
Then you can open that .stm file directly in whirligig.

The virtual desktop button brings up a window showing your PC desktop... it's like a virtual PC desktop.

Once you see your PC desktop, you can use it in the same way that you use your PC, to surf the web using whatever browser you like using.

I'm not sue what the problem here is and yes, you started the thread with the question.. What am I missing? and got the answer, with no aggravation from anyone.

Then you clearly didn't like the answers and decided to further your views with stupid, sucks, joke etc etc. BUt your suggestion of wanting full screen doesn't seem to make sense... full screen in VR is 360 and no current browser is designed to work that way included the browser in Quest, so there has to be a window of some sort.

You seem to be quite aggressively proclaiming your view unnecessarily, which is bound to get response you find insulting.

What's wrong with just saying 'hey you guys... I really like the Quest built-in browser and am wondering if the same can be implemented in the Rift Home', you know... keep it light and friendly, otherwise there's always going to be arguments.

Just like the only other person to express your views seemed to like to do... which is definitely not you, re-joining the forum after being banned for being too aggressive when people didn't agree with you... I mean him.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Ok this thread has been answered and is going nowhere fast. OP if you have a problem with this thread being closed, I'm only a PM away.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.