cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sick of Microsoft and Windows 10? Wondering about Linux?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Well, hopefully soon you will have a useful idea of whether it's viable - and if it is, a good guide on how best to achieve it.

Koroush Ghazi runs the TweakGuides site - one I've been using for info and whose guides I have purchased in the past 14 years or more(though he does free versions, too) and is a guy I trust about what's what in the realm of operating systems and gaming optimisation.

At the top here, is his latest post....

http://www.tweakguides.com/

Hopefully, all will go well and we will have as good a guide as his past ones, on how best to make the switch.
I've made Linux O/S DVDs in the past, but never had all the info I need, or not been able to collate everything, to make an informed decision about whether it's a good idea to change, and then how to go about it in the best way. So I'm really pleased about this - and hope it goes well for Koroush, so he can help the rest of us.

If a decent competitor to Windows were to suddenly appear on the Market, I am convinced that MS would be in serious trouble - but that is highly unlikely, so the only remaining choice is to try and make the best of what is already available.

Here's hoping.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
14 REPLIES 14

kojack
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

Also, HP-45 programable calculators that we all thought of as laptops back then. 

I bought a HP-48 back when I was an electronic engineering student. Damn nice calculator.
Not only do I still use it decades later (sitting on the shelf beside me), but I also have an emulator for it on my phone for when I'm not at home. I love RPN mathematics, normal calculators are annoying.

So... how many of you linux fans have one of these?
dkozt4wsdy19.jpg
That's my Open Pandora, a handheld retro gaming device that's running desktop Arch Linux. It's as big as a Nintendo DS, has a touch screen, analog joysticks, stylus, full size usb, wifi, and I run dev tools on it (GCC, Code Blocks, etc).
Great little device. It's powerful enough to emulate a Playstation 1 or Amiga 500 at full speed.
It was made by a tiny group of retro gaming enthusiasts.

I have a deposit on the sequel which is nearing production, the Pyra: https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra
It's a dual core Cortex A15 based system running full desktop Debian Linux.
The Pyra uses a replaceable daughterboard for the SOC so it can be upgraded.

Right now (literally) I'm installing the Mycroft.AI personal assistant software on a Debian VM. I'm thinking of buying the Mark2 Mycroft.AI (it's like a google home, but open source), the full software for it is also available to run on a desktop Linux system or a raspberry pi. Hmm, better go check on the installer.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Koroush' Christmas post:

A new year is fast approaching, and hopefully most of you will be able
to take a break and enjoy yourselves with loved ones. I've given myself a
Christmas present in the form of a new Intel Core i7 9700K-based
system, almost exactly ten years to the day since I built my last one.
For a range of reasons, this will likely be the last desktop PC I ever
build, and almost certainly the last computing device to run Windows. I
receive the components in early January, so join me next year as I
detail my choices for this system in a brief Hardware Confusion 2019
guide, and then, shortly thereafter, I will begin my journey towards
breaking my reliance on Windows and transitioning to a Linux
Debian-based OS, documenting it in a guide or series of articles, aimed
at helping others who also want to regain control over their PCs. Have
fun and I'll see you soon 🙂

Personally, I can't wait ::smile:

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Jake_Dragon
Adventurer
I have had a few Linux boxes. Normally I would load it on my last PC after I buy a new one and use it for a media server or what ever the flavor of device I need. 
I have been doing this for as long as you could download and install it. But I have never put it on my main PC and tried to use it. I could but I would lose my games and as that is 80% of what I have the PC for I will stick with windows.
But I do have a nice gaming laptop that I don't use so perhaps when things settle down I will update the hard drive and install a new OS. Its already windows 10 so its not too old and I can always swap the disk if I need to go back.
I work in IT and sometimes I just don't feel the urge to work on PCs when I am off the clock. I would rather work on the car.
Merry Christmas 

kojack
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

Right now (literally) I'm installing the Mycroft.AI personal assistant software on a Debian VM. I'm thinking of buying the Mark2 Mycroft.AI (it's like a google home, but open source), the full software for it is also available to run on a desktop Linux system or a raspberry pi. Hmm, better go check on the installer.

I ended up going through 3 or 4 different linux distros (that were listed as working) trying to get the program to work. In the end I gave up and installed a prebuilt image on my raspberry pi 3 instead. That one actually worked.

Then I ordered the Mycroft Mark 2. Of course it was then delayed (so no release this month). But they seem to be making progress.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

sraura
Heroic Explorer
To be honest I think that wine is the key to get mainstream to ditch windows 10. Problem is that currently wine is not easy enough to use and still requires too much skill and effort to set up for individual games. If and when linux becomes viable platform for average Joe's gaming needs, Microsoft will vanish from consumer market inside few short years. At that point all new games will have native support for linux.
I believe that this is something what will happen for sure - just the time frame is still unknown. I don't believe that Microsoft will change their ways before it is too late for them to do that. Microsoft has been Microsoft since the Netscape fiasco and more so after windows 10 was released.
I already have couple linux computers for web browsing, as media players, as storage servers and to play old windows games which windows 10 no longer support. Best thing is that u can run linux even on rasperry pi, which will cost less than 100€ with all the bells and whistles. Obviously u can't play many games on that kind of hardware, but will do for many other purposes. Youtube in HD works fine.