Sweat on Rift S Halo — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sweat on Rift S Halo

KatherynnTVKatherynnTV Posts: 2
NerveGear
Pretty sure this must’ve been brought up somewhere but I’m wondering what the solution is for keeping the halo padding clean without investing in some sort of steam vacuum thing that may or may not actually work - besides, investing in that just to maintain your device is silly.

I like to work out in VR but how the hell am I supposed to keep the device clean when it’s practically a sweat sponge, that’s just gross. Surely Oculus thought this through when VR in its very nature is pretty active entertainment?

tl;dr : How do I keep the halo padding clean!?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,118 Valuable Player
    Pretty sure this must’ve been brought up somewhere but I’m wondering what the solution is for keeping the halo padding clean without investing in some sort of steam vacuum thing that may or may not actually work - besides, investing in that just to maintain your device is silly.

I like to work out in VR but how the hell am I supposed to keep the device clean when it’s practically a sweat sponge, that’s just gross. Surely Oculus thought this through when VR in its very nature is pretty active entertainment?

tl;dr : How do I keep the halo padding clean!?

But have you tried intensive games like BoxVR using the Rift-S? If yes, did you get extremely sweaty and needed to clean it? 

Normally it's described in the manual how to clean the device.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    I have this question too. Just sweated buckets playing table tennis and that face foam was let's just say moister than a group of women alone on a desert island with Chris Hemsworth.  How on earth am I to even think about sharing this with others. I might be able to live with my sweat but the thought of someone elses...YUK. unless it's Chris Hemsworth's (no I am not gay or Bi or trans etc.).

:# 

I know you can remove the entire face foam and I even read you can wash this. What? Bung it into the washing machine on a low temp? Or gently hand-wash it in the sink with a touch of anti-bacterial washing-up liquid? Then how does one dry the thing afterwards? Mildew smell would be awful. 

Alternative is to buy those sharing face covers from VR Cover but that would work out pretty expensive over time.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited May 25
    "that face foam was let's just say moister than a group of women alone on a desert island with Chris Hemsworth. "

Awesome description, really made my day, lol  :D 

Maybe Rift-S is like your toothbrush - the idea of "sharing and caring" is so overrated  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• KatherynnTVKatherynnTV Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    LOL. I enjoyed that description too. The face foam can just be replaced.. surely. But I'm on about the halo mostly, it doesn't look like it detaches.. maybe it does? If that's the case, just take it off, soak it and reapply it but I'm seeing no info on whether this is the case. I've watched the maintenance video thing, nothing. Just a few cute little tips about using a gentle wipe on the casing and a cloth on the lenses which is n o t  h e l p i n g. Oh well. Response from the Oculus please?  :#
    edited May 25
    I'd be surprised if you got a response from Oculus. We have been discussing the headband long before Rift-S was released, and it's always been my suspicion that the headband isn't what you want to wear when performing physical exercises in VR - it makes it way too hard for your skin to breathe:

Image result for oculus rift-s

But nice to have my suspicions verified. Compare the above with the original Rift (which of course also got hot, but probably way less than the big headband):

Image result for oculus rift

Piped audio and the headband may indeed be my main problems with the Rift-S (Lenovo) design, even though the headband may feel comfy during less intense gaming.

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,700 Valuable Player
    edited May 25
    Drying solution right here. A perfect fit and close to the open window getting a nice breeze on it. Apologies op this doesn't help with the Halo.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Drying solution right here. A perfect fit and close to the open window getting a nice breeze on it. Apologies op this doesn't help with the Halo.

+ maybe removing the gasket and microwave the bacteria colonies when the odor's getting too stale or musty  :)

On a more serious note, I wonder if the gasket can be gently washed. Gasket can be replaced, being too hot in BoxVR may be more difficult to fix in hot summers - maybe some aircon or an open window can fix that  B)  

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,995 Valuable Player
    I'm surprised that Oculus didn't cover the headband and facial interface with pleather or something tbh.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • SoulstonerSoulstoner Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Wonder this myself. Seems like a massive oversight. 
  • abyx01abyx01 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 25
    Good thing is that halo foam IS detachable. Just tried it on my rift s. So there is a chance we'll get leather version of it from vrcover.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,272
    Wintermute
    abyx01 said:
    Good thing is that halo foam IS detachable. Just tried it on my rift s. So there is a chance we'll get leather version of it from vrcover.
    I thought those halo pads were glued on?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Preordered Vive Cosmos.

• bi7jebi7je Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Mine looks pretty glued. It doest seem to come of and i dont want to tear it or something.

How did you manage to get it off?
  • talon1320talon1320 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Im using thin sweatbands off amazon. 2 for ~ $6. They also seem less itchy.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHMXT2T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Hicks613Hicks613 Posts: 317
    Nexus 6
    There seems to be some options, but personally I'm still waiting on VRCover.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Support replied to use Anti-Bacterial Wipes, not Alcohol Wipes.
  • MnemonicMnemonic Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    abyx01 said:
    How do you detach foam from halo?
  • ex0-tekkex0-tekk Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited August 12
    I stand inside of my VR space with a 20" box fan just outside of the boundary sitting on the floor aimed at me tilted upwards, not only does it help cut down on motion sickness but does a good job keeping me cool, sometimes i wear a baseball cap backwards under the halo if I am playing a physically intense game, if i sweat a little bit it doesn't soak into the foam much, seems to work and still remains comfortable, i also often play VR barefoot, tends to cut down on sweating quite a bit for me not wearing socks / shoes. (I played this way with the CV1 aswell.)
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    I find that I sweat a lot more when I'm clothed and playing in VR, so often play in just my boxer shorts!!

Might look odd to a passing onlooker outside my house, but I never see them, so it doesn't bother me :-)
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S

Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,965 Valuable Player
    edited August 13
    I find that I sweat a lot more when I'm clothed and playing in VR, so often play in just my boxer shorts!!

So do I, and it's worked fine until a couple of days ago, when I lost something. You see, I just got this PSVR and noone had prepared me for what happens when you press the "calibrate tracking" button...   *BAM* a high contrast video feed from the tracking camera gets blasted into your eyes.

I lost my pride and dignity right then and there!

...doesn't help holding something that looks like a balloon animal with a red glowing nose (aim controller).
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb (arriving shortly)
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,224
    Wintermute
    If you have a wife you can ask her to clean it?

Job done?  :p
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • mfalxmfalx Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    can confirm rift s halo foam clips off front and rear. pinch the foam until you see the plastic edge rising then pry it open. similar to face plate connectors. They do seem delicate so go easy.
    If you have a wife you can ask her to clean it?

Job done?  :p
     So persons who don't have a wife should get one in order to get it clean? 

Job done!  :D