cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you enable 4k on a television to play games in 4k?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I just got a Samsung Qled 4k television today and the first thing I wanted to do was to play my games in 4k obviously. I went into the Nvidia setting but I can only set the resolotion to 1920 x 1080? Also when I go into the setting of a game I can only go to 1920 x 1080p? How on earth do you play games in 4k LoL? I really have no idea how to do this. Cheers!
25 REPLIES 25

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Hey
for the love of God can someone please help me out with this? My
graphics card only has one Hdmi port that I have to use for Rift CV1
because it doesn't work in a display port.
I have now
purchased an active DP to Hdmi to try and get my samsung TV working in
4k for 2D games. I finally got my games to work in 4K, but when I try to
switch to 4K and 60Hz refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel, it just
kicks me back to 30Hz refresh? I know this television is capable of 4K
60 Hz, but how do I get it to do it?
What port do you have
your Rift Cv1 connected to and what port do you have your 4K television
connected to? Are you able to get 4K 60Hz in Nvidia control panel?

LZoltowski
Champion

RedRizla said:

Hey
for the love of God can someone please help me out with this? My
graphics card only has one Hdmi port that I have to use for Rift CV1
because it doesn't work in a display port.
I have now
purchased an active DP to Hdmi to try and get my samsung TV working in
4k for 2D games. I finally got my games to work in 4K, but when I try to
switch to 4K and 60Hz refresh rate in the Nvidia control panel, it just
kicks me back to 30Hz refresh? I know this television is capable of 4K
60 Hz, but how do I get it to do it?
What port do you have
your Rift Cv1 connected to and what port do you have your 4K television
connected to? Are you able to get 4K 60Hz in Nvidia control panel?

I don't know of any converters that work in 60hz ... everyone I know of only does 30hz at 4K

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
This one says 60hz ????

UGREEN Active DP to HDMI Cable, 4K 60Hz 2 Meter Displayport to HDMI Adapter Cable with Zinc Alloy Shell Support AMD Eyefinity Multi-Screen Technology for Graphic Card, Desktop Computer, etc https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078M18G5F/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_THNdDbZHTJ9S8
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Techy111 - Yes I saw that one but I need 5m. Are you only running at 30Hz when you use your 4k television or don't you use your tlevision for 4k for games?
@LZoltowski - Surely DP must support 60Hz or what was the point in switching from Hdmi to DP on graphics cards? There will be a lot of people playing on television that are able to support 4K at 60Hz.
This wouldn't be a problem if my Oculus Rift worked on a DP, but it doesn't. Are Rift CV1's supposed to work on DP because I can only get it working on a Hdmi port.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I run (well used to at least) my Rift using a DP to HDMI converter with the HDMI used for the PC /TV.

The convertor -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00K0UDYLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The HDMI Cable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JEB6MQW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Shadowmask72 - How long was the Hdmi cable you used for CV1 with that DP to Hdmi connector? Was it 1.5 or longer?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
DP- HDMI converter used the standard CV1 cable. And the HDMI cable from PC to TV 1.5m.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I just ordered a couple more cables one that @Shadowmask72 recommended and another DP to Hdmi that a couple of amazon reviewers said works with 4K at 60Hz. Hopefully one of them will work.
Here's the one a few reviewers says works at 4k 60Hz, even though the advertisement says 30Hz.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I also had trouble getting my 4K player working correctly, when I got my 4K TV, this cable solved everything - top-ranked on Amazon and isn't expensive:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CVQNJSK/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

Still haven't tried setting up my rig to the 4K TV, rig is in the basement (man cave), wife doesn't want ugly noisy low-feng-shui rig in living room where 4K TV is placed (admitted, just made up the low-feng-shui part, but it kind of fits in ;)) I don't want the kids to constantly use the TV for gaming and currently I'm not into pancakes - so for now I can't help connecting a rig.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
@RedRizla Any reason why you are going for 4.5M the longer it is the more chances it won't work properly when you add the 4.5 to the Rift cable? The HP Reverb Cable is short for that very reason. Also why opt for an adapter that isn't listed as 60hz compatible? You're trusting Amazon reviewers?

Anyhow, it should work fine and dandy. Keep us posted. Without searching, was it you who made that thread about 4K gaming getting you back into 2D gaming from VR? There is quite the difference in my view (not so much with the HP Reverb) but games look stellar in 4K with max settings and HDR. Feel free to sub to my YT channel as I do the Majority  of my just gameplay uploads in 4K for quite some time now.