New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift 1.38 Release Rolling Out Now

Comments

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    This is so funny @TomCgcmfc because once they get it installed they'll only fall into the next issue which waits them. They should be hiring far better and bigger teams. We still have no Strafe ffs :D
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,275 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    Well at least Oculus Support has responded and tried to fix something.  Yet, some will still complain, lol!

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77593/rift-s-software-updating-issue#latest

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Soulless512Soulless512 Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Well at least Oculus Support has responded and tried to fix something.  Yet, some will still complain, lol!

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/77593/rift-s-software-updating-issue#latest

Please tell me how in the actual hell that running repair from the oculus setup executable would fix any of this issue? I will go ahead and answer that one. IT DOESN'T! I can't even play Vader Immortal because the minute I swing the damn lightsaber, my entire display freezes and I CANNOT DO A DAMN THING!
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,667 Valuable Player
    I'd just like to say that the CV1 now works well. That means you Rift S guys have only about 3 years to get to the same level.
    Hang in there ;)
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    edited June 2019
    I'm not having any issues with the new update on rift s or with my other two CV1's everything is running smoothly.
    Art3mis
    Richooal said:
    I'd just like to say that the CV1 now works well. That means you Rift S guys have only about 3 years to get to the same level.
    Hang in there ;)
    Wish i had not sold my CV1 for this
  • Dr.Hippo404Dr.Hippo404 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Just want to say that despite me laughing when I saw the post today about "just do the repair that I'm sure you all tried first thing" it seems that there must have been a patch alongside that post which meant that doing the repair actually fixed my software install issue. Idk if it will do the trick for everyone, but it did for me.
    Wintermute
    That patch need the SETUP>REPAIR FIX to even INSTALL itself which in turn was the fix to completely INSTALL.
    Just a shit storm and more popcorn.
    Art3mis
    THANK YOU OCULUS FOR THIS BULLSHIT UPDATE AND CONTINUING TO SHIT ON YOUR USER BASE. NOW AFTER THIS UPDATE I CANNOT USE MY HEADSET PERIOD WITHOUT IT COMPLETELY FREEZING AFTER 2 FUCKING MINUTES!!!!! I AM SO TEMPTED TO SELL THIS ONE AND SAY FUCK OCULUS AND VR!
  • sraurasraura Posts: 590
    Trinity
    edited June 2019
    well I would sort current issues to following categories based on forum activity since rift s launch;
    • most people: random occasional static flashes.
    • rather many people: black screens, tracking issues, install issues (related to extended ascii characters in win username), white snow
    • some people: crashes back to oculus home, install issues (not related to extended ascii characters in win username), actually broken hardware, incompatible hardware, forumtrollproblemsTM
    • random people: other random problems
    This is not based on any stats - just gut feeling.
    I just got the latest (forced) 1.38.1 update a couple of hours ago.  I've tried a mix of diff Oculus Store, SteamVR and independent games/sims.   All still continues to work perfect with my Rift cv1.  

I hope this latest update is helping others.  I feel very sorry for those Rift users (cv1 and S) suffering any problems that stop them from enjoying great VR experiences.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Wintermute
    I confirm my RIFT CV1 is also fine on today's update but required their method of a Setup>Repair to install it as daft as that is because that's what that update addresses.
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    I confirm my RIFT CV1 is also fine on today's update but required their method of a Setup>Repair to install it as daft as that is because that's what that update addresses.
    I did not need to do this.  It was just automatically updated.  Maybe you had other issues?  Anyway, glad to hear you are back in business mate!  Cheers.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,667 Valuable Player
    Good news! Someone in the dev team is checking stuff. He/she even had a splash screen made to prove it ......................

My Rift (CV1) has survived todays "fix".
    I am now on Oculus App Version 1.38.0.261476 (1.38.1 according to "What's New") and all is good.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    Latest Oculus update running fine on my end with Rift S.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • javelina1javelina1 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    same here, Rift S working fine. 
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 366
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    Yeah..all good, just been trying the Vader Immortal game..brilliant!
     Every Oculus update is a nail biting ordeal tho' :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,679 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    Yeah..all good, just been trying the Vader Immortal game..brilliant!
     Every Oculus update is a nail biting ordeal tho' :)
    Lol that is for sure.
    Yeah I have just started Vader Immortal, very cool!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ZeroThgZeroThg Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Hi, my Rift S works only when my graphics card run at PCI express 8x. I have purchase a USB card but i have to put the card in a 8x slot and than runs my graphics card also with 8x speed because of lane sharing. All works great and i can play for hours. When i plug in the rift s in my USB hub i can also play for hours but when i take out the USB card and my graphics card runs at 16x PCI express speed the rift s have black screen every 20min. I hope the Dev's read this and can check this issue.
  • thumbassthumbass Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    So...with the new patch it finishes installing...the runtime service is running but once the install is done it checks the status of my oculus app and then fails...I tried to reinstall twice
  • CGH001CGH001 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    1.37 was ok for me with no real issues but 1.38 caused a few stutters which changing USB ports from 3.1 gen 2 to 3.1 gen 1 didn't fix 100%.

Just downloaded 1.38.1. and thankfully it all seems ok and the stutters seem to have gone. Installation stuck on 52% for a while but then it was ok.  Hopefully it's all fixed until the next update ;)
  • JohnGBJohnGB Posts: 8
    Brain Burst
    Richooal said:
    Good news! Someone in the dev team is checking stuff. He/she even had a splash screen made to prove it ......................

My Rift (CV1) has survived todays "fix".
    I am now on Oculus App Version 1.38.0.261476 (1.38.1 according to "What's New") and all is good.

We know some of our Rift S users were experiencing issues installing/updating the Oculus app on desktop. If you were affected and the Oculus application is installed but not working, we now have a fix available. Follow these steps:
    1. Launch the Oculus Installation Software (OculusSetup.exe) from your computer or download from the Oculus site.
    2. The Oculus installer will indicate that the Oculus application has already been installed. From here, click the Repair option.
    3. Setup will ask for confirmation that you want to repair the installation. Click Repair.
    4. The Oculus Software will begin the installation. Once it has completed, the Oculus application will come up successfully.
    Hope this helps and if you’re still running into any trouble, please reach out to our support team here.
    Thanks for your patience,
    Oculus Support

That worked for me too, with my CV1 running win 10 version 1903, all working fine.:)
  • Neona97Neona97 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the problem that 1.38 Version is causing a black screen, so I deinstalled it and got to the 1.37 Version of Oculus again, everythingworked again, I tryed the Update again... blackscreen, so I choos to stay in the 1.37 Version, but the problem is, even If I turnoff automatic updates in the settings... it's updated to the 1.38 Version and now I can't go back because when I try to reinstall the Oculus App, it's now install the newest Version... even if my Setup is the old one, because they Changed the Packeg in the Link to the newest Version... and I finde this bullshit that you can't choose which version you want...
    I contact the Support, but they just say stuff like, repair, check the Cabels, look for you Grafic driver etc. everything what I already did, I even sendet them the Error's (here I could found some Error‘s in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime => OVRServer_x64) and I have the feeling that they did not look in the Informations I send them, I literly showing that the Oculus worked BEFORE the Update, with a Screenshot, that I am in VRChat playing in VR with the Rift.
    I also sayed that everything works fine, I have Sound, the Mic works etc. just the screen is reacting (a little bit of light of the screens) but then still/tuns pitchblack (they turn off), and then it sayes that I have bad Tracking conections... (it does not even recognize my sensors anymore... funny)

So yes I wish they would let ppl chosse which Version they want, this would fix a lot of problems, because I don't have to wait until the next Version, to test out... If I buy something, I WANT TO USE IT and the Supprot should try to find out what a problem I have and not stretch unnecessarily the time.

I'm sure that he only does his job, but a certain training should already have, already when I ordered a ticket, I said, it is enough if you help me to get the 1.37 version again and stoping this Update force!... but nope, did not read that...
    I got my Oculus 2 days before the 1.38 Version was released... I could play VR for just 2 Days... nice... and now it's don't work because of the Update... nice
    first impression of Oculus did not succeed
    I hope they do not make the same thing as VRChat with updates that break more than fixes... make Updates even the Community says "Stop please go back to the Version last year ago, because this was actuelly the good one which don't had any really issues!" - VRChat Community

Wintermute
    Yes there's no way to go back and we should be able to get simple the last known working version by choice without any such sabotage which is what it amounts to!
    I have long said they MUST PROVIDE A SIMPLE OVR Service that just runs the VR and we can easily do without all the crap they added in HOME and even DASH. Those things are not well designed anyways but were expanded. They even have Experimental items in a fully Released Product which does not always work in all systems of Browsers. 
    They seriously have not gone about this like professionals in business but some backyard shed outfit !!!
    BTW Are they due back off holiday any time soon?
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    TomCgcmfc said:

I'm complaining because nothing is working.  I still have T-Rex hands in VR since the tracking no longer works.  This is what happens when Facebook buys a hardware company.
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    So what do I need to get my Rift working again?!  My tracking is completely useless.  My hands are always directly in front of my face no matter what I do.  I've tried switching USB Ports, DP ports, unintalling and reinstalling the software and nothing is fixing this.  You broke this the day you sent me your crummy update.  It was working just fine until then.  Now my HMD is USELESS.  I wanted to play Vader Immortal on the Rift and now Im missing that.  I'm FURIOUS right now.  I never expected THIS from Oculus.
    Hanover said:
    So what do I need to get my Rift working again?!  My tracking is completely useless.  My hands are always directly in front of my face no matter what I do.  I've tried switching USB Ports, DP ports, unintalling and reinstalling the software and nothing is fixing this.  You broke this the day you sent me your crummy update.  It was working just fine until then.  Now my HMD is USELESS.  I wanted to play Vader Immortal on the Rift and now Im missing that.  I'm FURIOUS right now.  I never expected THIS from Oculus.
    I think all you can do is start a ticket, including sending in your logfiles, and try to work with Oculus support.  Hopefully you will manage to get it working ok again.  Good luck mate.

• Alex.DOYLEAlex.DOYLE Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    Richooal said:
    I still haven't got 1.38 but I'm thinking it might be best to disconnect it until they've sorted this mess out.
    You got that right. Not to mention there's another issue appearing since the update too, concerning the .glb Imports being broken apprently. I've opened a thread regarding this issue, being that I'm not the only one to have noticed this...

You're right to wait it out. Had I known better , I would have too... ;)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,313 Valuable Player
    GLB works fine for me.

Also your link is broken.  Try again..
  • GlidejGlidej Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm another user that had a semi working Rift S with 1.37 and the firmware that went with it. Since the FORCED update I loose connection within minutes of using the unit. I asked for the old firmware and they said no. I bought direct so I can return anytime. This is the only reason I still have the unit. I have an issue when the use of a product I paid for in full is control by the company I supposedly bought it from. I know what makes the unit work because I tested 1.38 when it was beta; it caused a connection fault. Refusing to provide access to previous software and firmware versions that make the unit function may be in breach of law. Anyone have legal knowledge in this field?