cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer reboots when Rift S goes to sleep

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having a very strange behavior with my Rift S.  If I take my Rift S off, and set it down for more than 20-30 seconds the whole computer reboots.
If I keep it on my head, it works fine with no reboots.  Only when I leave it idle after using it.

Has anyone else had this issue?  It has done it since the beginning, with update 1.37, 1.38 and 1.38.1
I have tried switching to all the different USB ports, but it happens on all of them.

I have :
  • Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 Motherboard
  • i9-9900k CPU
  • Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU
  • Windows Pro 1903
36 REPLIES 36

LZoltowski
Champion
Do you have any warnings in Windows Event log?

What PSU do you have?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

darthian66
Explorer
I'm having a similar issue, but it didn't start until the 1.38 firmware update.  It seems to restart my PC most frequently when the displays in the headset turn off automatically after removing the headset.

I have a 750 watt PSU, and have never had any issues until the most recent update.

I have a lot of USB peripherals for flight simulators, which can be power hungry so I thought maybe that was the issue and I've offloaded all of them to a separately powered USB hub and no fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a Corsair RM850i, so should be more than enough.  It usually runs about 85watts when idle and 330w when in VR game. No warnings in Windows Event Logs.

I unplugged all my other USB devices, and it still happens.  It's so strange.  I may try a full OS reinstall incase it's software/driver related

darthian66
Explorer
I've done some more troubleshooting.  I've tried every USB port on my PC and I've tried offloading all USB peripherals (including the headset itself) to the powered USB hub and nothing fixes the problem.

I have noticed that I can induce the problem myself by simply unplugging the Rift S displayport cable.  No matter what configuration of USB devices are plugged in and where, if that Rift S displayport goes to sleep on its own or if it gets physically unplugged, the PC reboots.  Any other display device, like a normal monitor plugged into the same displayport works just fine and doesn't cause any problems upon being unplugged, only the Rift S hmd.

razaice
Explorer
I'm having the same issue as darthian66 and aaronrryan.  My Rift S forces my computer to restart about 10 seconds after taking the headset off.  The only detail that's different in my case is that I'm able to unplug the displayport cable without making the restart occur.  Other than that, the issue appears to be identical.  Has anyone else come across this problem?

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Interesting issue... may I ask are you all using gigabyte motherboards or gigabyte gpu's ?
Also has any of you tried tweaking some power management settings from computer bios and seeing if that makes any difference?

razaice
Explorer
Gigabyte motherboard and EVGA GPU here.  Z97MX-Gaming 5 and a 1070.  I took a quick glance at the bios a few days ago, but wasn't sure which setting may be related.  Do you have any suggestions?

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Looks like the motherboard might be the common factor here then. You don't have same models, but it might have some bios settings which explains this. Unfortunately I don't know much about bios Gigabyte is using.
You probably want to find settings which are related to acpi/uefi or apm. Also if you your motherboard has integrated graphics you might want to disable it or at least set your discrete graphics card as primary.

razaice
Explorer
Great troubleshooting sraura, thanks.  The fix for me was to enable ErP mode in the bios under Power Management.  ErP mode has something to do with allowing the system to be in a low power state.  The signal being sent to the computer when the headset goes into sleep mode must have conflicted with the setting being disabled somehow.
Let me know if that fixes it for you darthian66 and aaronrryan.