Image Rotation Locked to One Axis in Medium 2? (+angle snap settings?) — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Image Rotation Locked to One Axis in Medium 2? (+angle snap settings?)

R2D2XR2D2X Posts: 16
NerveGear
Hi Everyone.
I tried searching but couldn't find this info easily.
In the old Medium software I could import images and rotate them around my scene. Now I see a circle and can't figure out how to unlock more degrees of rotation. 
Any tips?

Also, I can't see any settings for the grid snap, despite seeing settings in a video. Anyone know that?

Comments

• jessicazetajessicazeta Posts: 242 Oculus Staff
    Grid snap settings are now in the scene graph, since they work directly with the visualization entity. Turning on the visualization in the short cut menu only toggles grid snap on or off - go to the scene graph and check our those object settings to customize.

I don't know what you mean by being unable to rotate images. This functionality still exists, but I may not be understanding you. Possible you can describe in more detail or with pictures?
  • P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,705 Valuable Player
    It's a glitch in the mirror constrain mode - locks everything, including ref images. Turn that off, move your refs, then turn it back on again if you were using it.
  • R2D2XR2D2X Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited June 5
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks so much for the helpful info. I really appreciate it.
    Jessica, regarding the images it was just like P3n' said -- if you have mirror on, image manipulation is locked to one axis. Super nice to know  :)
    Just to clarify, it's not mirror mode, per se. If you go into mirror tool settings there's a new one for "Constrain Manip" it's this one that affects the images, not the mirror itself.
    Oh! I see what you both mean. Do you not expect the images to be locked to the mirror plane as well when that toggle is on? What do you think about meshes? I could see it being difficult to get used to but the global nature of the toggle to me, seems better than on a per object basis - could be convinced though. 
  • R2D2XR2D2X Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Sounds good to me -- I just didn't understand  :)
    Oh! I see what you both mean. Do you not expect the images to be locked to the mirror plane as well when that toggle is on? What do you think about meshes? I could see it being difficult to get used to but the global nature of the toggle to me, seems better than on a per object basis - could be convinced though. 
    Personally, I wouldn't have the ref images constrained. I like just being able to just chuck them about the place and having to toggle mirror off just to do this is a waste of clicks. Same with ref meshes. Only clay should be constrained by this cos it's the only thing that's actually mirrored
    Ahh right. I think there are definitely use cases for having symmetrical images too (like if you're tracing) but it sounds like per object would be better, and default to clay always on and default to references always off. Does that sound more useful?
    Sounds good to me. 
  • DreamShaperDreamShaper Posts: 725
    3Jane
    edited June 23

Ahh right. I think there are definitely use cases for having symmetrical images too (like if you're tracing) but it sounds like per object would be better, and default to clay always on and default to references always off. Does that sound more useful?
    Biggest problem for me is images and lights. I'm not sure how lights affect other programs that people use, but within medium itself, having to unset the mirror to move lights  is always disconcerting.  Is there a good reason to constrain the lights by default?

Per object would be awesome, and is probably the ideal solution.  

Would also save the hassle of scrolling up through the entire object list to reach the mirror without accidentally shifting the hierarchy, as the most recently created layer is always at the bottom.  Personally wouldn't mind having the option to have the mirror, world, and grid controls duplicated  at the bottom of the sculpt layer set, for this reason