cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S users who have return/refunded and gone back to their Rift CV1 with 2-3 sensors - Reasons?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Please only respond to this thread if you are an experienced Oculus Rift cv1 user who purchased a Rift S and retained their Rift cv1 w/sensors.  Then came to the conclusion that it was better to return their Rift S for a refund and go back to your Rift cv1 with 2-3 sensors.

I think it will be interesting to hear reasons why you did this and any  problems you had getting a full refund.  Also, what are your future VR headset plans?

Probably a big ask but try to keep your responses brief and try avoid expletives, lol!  Also try not to add a lot of Oculus-should-have opinions/recommendations, just your main reason(s) for going back to your cv1 and where you plan to go to next.  Thanks and I look forward to your responses.

Ok, so I'll try to start the ball rolling with my main views;

Even though I was very happy with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors and Oculus said that the Rift S should not be considered to be an upgrade, I got caught into the hype about it's improved resolution and comfort (with the halo design) and I pre-ordered one.

After receiving it I did have to agree that the higher resolution and comfort were both great and initially this seemed to actually feel like a very nice upgrade from my Rift cv1.  Also, I did not seem to have any upgrade problems adding this to my then current Oculus 1.37 software.  Nor did I have any problems with 1.38.  

Audio diff's were not that big a deal for me since I already kinda got used to this with my Oculus Go and I like the freedom of not needing a headst.  It's pretty easy to add earbuds for a bit more immersion and, on occasion, to avoid others hearing my audio.  Still, there is no doubt that the Rift cv1 headset gives a much nicer result (while it's audio ribbon lasts, lol!).

The main problem I encountered was controller grip lag, esp with grab and throw games like Merry Snowballs and ToyBox.  Removing the controller battery covers helped quite a bit but the response was still not as quick and crisp as my older cv1 touch controllers.

The other problem was tracking.  I think I had gotten used to the excellent tracking with my high-mounted downward facing cv1 2x sensors.  Going back to inside/out tracking was def a minor downgrade.  This problem was much the same that I experienced with my WMR system.  Inside/out is easier to setup but it does require you to adjust your mode of operation.  That is, you cannot shoot arrows and pick your nose at the same time, lol!  However, for most games, esp. flight and racing sims it works fine imho.

I bought my Rift S from the Oculus Store.  I initiated a Support Ticket (including my logfiles) and politely explained to Oculus Support my concerns after 2-3 weeks of usage and troubleshooting  I requested a refund.  They responded in 2 days, initiated an RMA, sent me a return pre-paid label 2 days later.  I ended up getting a full PayPal refund 6 days  later.  Pretty fast and friendly Oculus CS imho.  

I doubt I would have gotten anything better with Amazon (although they are also usually very good).  We do not have other outlets in Australia like BestBuys so I cannot vouch for them.

Really not sure what my next VR headset will be?

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
62 REPLIES 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I'm a rebel 😄

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

snowdog said:

I can't go back to the CV1 now, the difference in clarity between the two is about as night and day as you can get.

The thread is about those who have returned it and for what reason 🙂
I'm just saying because the thread will turn into ..Why people kept the Rift S if not and that's not what the OP is trying to gauge here.

Ya, much as I would like a few more on-topic posts I really don't mind a little Oculus Forum Banter.

Snowie, ya rebel you, if I had not kept my CV1 (and I believe you kindly gave yours away to a friend) I probably would have
persevered with the Rift S.  Def better clarity and comfort.

Zen, blow me, just kidding!  I always luv your posts and inserts, on or off topic.  You are def this Forum's best Master-Debater, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@TomCgcmfc keep it on topic please  😄 Joke!!! Lol
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Techy111 said:

@TomCgcmfc keep it on topic please  😄 Joke!!! Lol

I so sorry, lol! o:)

jayhawk
Superstar
Currently VR'less. Sold my Rift to buy the Rift S. Returned the S for a few different reasons, the first being the loss of tracking issue when controls are up close. Completely unacceptable IMO. If things have improved down the road I will repurchase, or maybe look closer at the Index.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I gotta say that people who sold their Rift cv1's in order to be able to afford to purchase a Rift S may not have made a very good decision imho.  Hopefully, in the long run I will be proved wrong.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:
Zen, blow me!  I always luv your inserts.  You are Master.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well besides the downgrade for a lack of good headphones, the loss of tracking near the headset is a huge mistake. It makes you hate the VR experience seeing those moments of drifting hands and is not on par with last gen. I am thinking I'd rather wait it out frankly. I see some shooter games added weird workarounds but nothing will compare to actual hand positions like CV1 especially for Archery and Guns. There is zero point in compromise on this. It is the device which must be improved NOT games to adapt!

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I see that the HTC Cosmos has added another camera to the bottom making it six camera's in total. That's where I felt Rift S should have added a camera, but we will see how it preforms with close up shooters and if it fixes the issue. I won't be buying one though because I want external sensors or base stations now.
No doubt it will also probably cost about $600 to $700, if it's true that it's not going to be $900.

SkepticGuy
Honored Guest
Am about to return mine and go back to the original Rift. I mainly play In Death (archery) and it's almost unplayable with the poor tracking.