cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Some very quick first impressions and that's without experimenting with Super-sampling.

Ok, well I have that horrible vertical line in my headset which hopefully I'll get fixed or replaced but despite that. Wow, just wow. One word..."clarity".

More words.

Very nice headset all-round. Reasonably comfy but that cable is awful. I mean really bad and terribly distracting. Needs to be fixed to something to not become a hindrance. Headphones feel cheap  and the red smear is not very good when you abnormally move your head from side to side all fast like. In normal situations you won't notice it so much. SDE is so minimal it's the finest mesh like silk. Mura is there for sure such as looking at the sky you will notice it quite a bit.

Fallout 4 VR - Holy crap. Now this is how it's meant to be seen. Mindblowing, and I rarely use such hyperbolic phrases. Up close detail you'll see the textures as you would playing on a monitor. Distance details are just perfect now. NO MORE BLUR you can easily define medium range and long range objects which gives the game a complete overhaul on the visuals. Wonderful and if you're a FO4VR fan then nothing beats this crisp display.  Period. 

PCARS 2 - Ok I struggled a little to find the right sweetspot and keep it there. But once there this is it guys. The game just looks like it's meant to be on this headset. Nice details on the track and close up cars. Distant cars also look much better, they still can get fuzzy but none of that blur you might be used to. This is pretty awesome now and just looks great.

SLR APP/Movie viewing - Nice sharp visuals but you are restricted to the quality of the source material. The SLR thumbnails look fantastically crisp and the videos great. I ran a 4K gameplay video from one of my recordings and it looks really nice, so much clearer than any other VR headset. So if you have 4K movies then they are going to shine on this headset. I tried some older 1080p 3D movies but they didn't look much different to other headsets.

Desktop - wow now this is really nice. You can actually work with this now. Comfortably. See all the text and no shimmer or SDE to mess up your view. Really workable as an alternative to a monitor now. Nice vibrant colours and good contrast. I do notice what seems to be a fixed foveted rendering technique though where the center focus is incredibly sharp and when you move your eyes and head to another part of the screen it seems to catch up and then focus really sharp.I think HP talked about this with the way the screens are calibrated. 

Elite Dangerous: OK you're still getting these LCD blacks but the text readability is fantastic now without a shadow of a doubt. No distorted letters even in the info pane which has the smallest text it's easy to read, no leaning in. I just docked with one of the space stations and whilst there is still some shimmer on some finer lines/edges (there's a technical name for that which escapes me) it's nice a crisp and looks like a space station rather than a blurry mess of lights and protracting parts. Really clean. Upon entering the opening into the docking area...mind-blown! I really loved the extended FOV of the Pimax 8K in Elite D, made it feel more real, but I think I would sacrifice that for this wonderful clarity. I'll say it again if Pimax 8K X delivers the FOV and the same clarity then wowsers. I'm not holding my breath though, focusing on the here and now.

Even with the negatives, I can see this being a really great headset for the VR connoisseur. I am wondering how close the Pimax 8KX can match this as its increased FOV will stretch the pixel density. Either way, £600 well spent thus far and I will no doubt get lots of use from this headset and sadly the Pimax 8K will get boxed. Quest/Reverb combo for the win here for anyone serious about VR.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
376 REPLIES 376

Anonymous
Not applicable

See post before yours Kevinw729. Right on cue, but was hoping you had some insight or at least informed speculation as to the price. I think this is going to compete with Rift S but knowing HTC it will be slightly more expensive so my guess is £499.

This is HTC we're talking about here. It'll be £799 lol 😄 😛

Techy111
MVP
MVP
https://youtu.be/_m8PJUPo2u0
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
HTC already debunked that rumour however, if it is 899 EUROS £799 as Snowdog suggests, then that's too high to compete with the Rift S, Index and HP Reverb.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was partially joking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they price themselves out of the market yet again. £599 will probably end up being the price.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'm still holding out for my replacement Reverb.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Am I the only one who finds that bloke's voice REALLY annoying? I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  😄

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Techy111 said:

Yep it seems HP Reverb is still king of resolution in the lower price bracket. A shame then HP have cocked-up the launch completely. 

Wildt
Consultant

snowdog said:

I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  😄

I think that's literally what @Zenbane said too. I only thought it.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

FX2K
Heroic Explorer
Well, I was happy to wait for my replacement reverb, roughly 3 weeks worth of waiting to do.
Today, out of the blue, that's no longer the case.

Thank you for your recent order for the above item.

You may be aware this is currently out of stock, however, due to high demand the estimated date we anticipate new stock arriving has been extended and we have had to cancel your order.

I sincerely apologise for this, however, as soon as we have visibility of new stock arriving, we will call you, and you can place a new order, with a £50.00 discount, as a goodwill gesture.

As you opted to pay by debit/credit card, no funds have been captured by HP, and you card issuer will release the authorisation hold in around 3 business days, allowing you access to your money.

I guess there are too many units with defects... because cancelling a replacement due to "high demand" doesn't make sense to me.  Well, that's that then.  Crossed of my list, even though I was impressed by the headset initially.
CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May... DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Damn, i paid through PayPal and have heard nothing from them since the return 😞