cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Reverb First Impressions Thread (Gen 1)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Some very quick first impressions and that's without experimenting with Super-sampling.

Ok, well I have that horrible vertical line in my headset which hopefully I'll get fixed or replaced but despite that. Wow, just wow. One word..."clarity".

More words.

Very nice headset all-round. Reasonably comfy but that cable is awful. I mean really bad and terribly distracting. Needs to be fixed to something to not become a hindrance. Headphones feel cheap  and the red smear is not very good when you abnormally move your head from side to side all fast like. In normal situations you won't notice it so much. SDE is so minimal it's the finest mesh like silk. Mura is there for sure such as looking at the sky you will notice it quite a bit.

Fallout 4 VR - Holy crap. Now this is how it's meant to be seen. Mindblowing, and I rarely use such hyperbolic phrases. Up close detail you'll see the textures as you would playing on a monitor. Distance details are just perfect now. NO MORE BLUR you can easily define medium range and long range objects which gives the game a complete overhaul on the visuals. Wonderful and if you're a FO4VR fan then nothing beats this crisp display.  Period. 

PCARS 2 - Ok I struggled a little to find the right sweetspot and keep it there. But once there this is it guys. The game just looks like it's meant to be on this headset. Nice details on the track and close up cars. Distant cars also look much better, they still can get fuzzy but none of that blur you might be used to. This is pretty awesome now and just looks great.

SLR APP/Movie viewing - Nice sharp visuals but you are restricted to the quality of the source material. The SLR thumbnails look fantastically crisp and the videos great. I ran a 4K gameplay video from one of my recordings and it looks really nice, so much clearer than any other VR headset. So if you have 4K movies then they are going to shine on this headset. I tried some older 1080p 3D movies but they didn't look much different to other headsets.

Desktop - wow now this is really nice. You can actually work with this now. Comfortably. See all the text and no shimmer or SDE to mess up your view. Really workable as an alternative to a monitor now. Nice vibrant colours and good contrast. I do notice what seems to be a fixed foveted rendering technique though where the center focus is incredibly sharp and when you move your eyes and head to another part of the screen it seems to catch up and then focus really sharp.I think HP talked about this with the way the screens are calibrated. 

Elite Dangerous: OK you're still getting these LCD blacks but the text readability is fantastic now without a shadow of a doubt. No distorted letters even in the info pane which has the smallest text it's easy to read, no leaning in. I just docked with one of the space stations and whilst there is still some shimmer on some finer lines/edges (there's a technical name for that which escapes me) it's nice a crisp and looks like a space station rather than a blurry mess of lights and protracting parts. Really clean. Upon entering the opening into the docking area...mind-blown! I really loved the extended FOV of the Pimax 8K in Elite D, made it feel more real, but I think I would sacrifice that for this wonderful clarity. I'll say it again if Pimax 8K X delivers the FOV and the same clarity then wowsers. I'm not holding my breath though, focusing on the here and now.

Even with the negatives, I can see this being a really great headset for the VR connoisseur. I am wondering how close the Pimax 8KX can match this as its increased FOV will stretch the pixel density. Either way, £600 well spent thus far and I will no doubt get lots of use from this headset and sadly the Pimax 8K will get boxed. Quest/Reverb combo for the win here for anyone serious about VR.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
376 REPLIES 376

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Wildt said:

snowdog said:

I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  😄

I think that's literally what @Zenbane said too. I only thought it.

Right? No idea what it is about MRTV's voice. But it definitely hits the proverbial Brown Note.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

FX2K said:

however, due to high demand the estimated date we anticipate new stock arriving has been extended and we have had to cancel your order.

Were you previously given a July 7-14th date when new stock would be available? If not, then that's the general consensus right now. I am on a list to be informed when the new stock comes in so I can re-order. It's looking more likely I will now the Cosmos specs are in the wild. Can't wait to get it back to test some more games when it's working correctly. I am still dreaming of how nice Fallout 4 VR looked and surprised our resident DaftNdirect hasn't bitten the bullet yet.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Wildt said:

snowdog said:

I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  😄

I think that's literally what @Zenbane said too. I only thought it.

Right? No idea what it is about MRTV's voice. But it definitely hits the proverbial Brown Note.

Ya, I've given up and unsubscribed to his YT channel now.  Way to much hype and no real or consistent info imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

FX2K
Heroic Explorer

Shadowmask72 said:
Were you previously given a July 7-14th date when new stock would be available? If not, then that's the general consensus right now. I am on a list to be informed when the new stock comes in so I can re-order. It's looking more likely I will now the Cosmos specs are in the wild. Can't wait to get it back to test some more games when it's working correctly. I am still dreaming of how nice Fallout 4 VR looked and surprised our resident DaftNdirect hasn't bitten the bullet yet.

Yeah, was told a replacement should be available around the 9th of July, said I was happy to wait for it, no problems there.  Left them to it, then this email turned up out of the blue.  Also got a return notification, confirming they have it back, but funny enough it said "not in original packaging" even though it was sent back exactly as received, in all original packaging.

Email was worded like I was on a pre-order list, when I wasn't. So need to keep an eye out for my refund now.
CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May... DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Although Mr Ang is most likely a very nice person, I do find his approach akin to a used-car salesman or estate agent (that's real estate agent for the non-UK readers). It's very hard to take him at face-value because he seems to lose objectivity in the heat of the moment and rather than sit on it for a while, posts a video right away and then backtracks at a later date. That hype approach isn't good for those viewing.

That said, I am thankful for the HP Reverb photos he posted pre-release. As they say, a picture speaks a 1000 words.

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

Am I the only one who finds that bloke's voice REALLY annoying? I don't know what it is, but when I hear that voice I want to punch him in the face lol  😄

Yep I can't watch his videos any longer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad it's not just me being a psychopathic nut job then.

By the way, if any of you lot call me a psychopathic nut job I'll smash yer faces in and eat your eyeballs.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

See post before yours Kevinw729. Right on cue, but was hoping you had some insight or at least informed speculation as to the price. I think this is going to compete with Rift S but knowing HTC it will be slightly more expensive so my guess is £499.

You seem to be in a growing consensus. Following the issues being reported with Rift-S I think some are looking at what would hurt jumping ship to HTC (obviously they do not have good memories!)

I agree that the price and support is the killer - we have heard little from HTC that suggests a $799 price point (as stated by Snowdog) so they want to keep this quiet to elevate "Sticker-Shock" - this would throw a lot of people into Valves arms!

8wyegpv280i6.png

or

9kcvg52nqw9i.png

There is also the other issue of Valve>HTC - if the love-affair is over then access to content will be limited to VivePort with SteamVR being a after thought (also missing our on Knuckles?) This could place some barriers up towards mass community support - though as with Vive Pro and Focus, HTC has looked at high price hardware with an Asian focus initially.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Techy111
MVP
MVP
All I know, whatever the price, whatever the headset, whatever the platform, VR is struggling at the mo unless somebody pulls their finger out of their arse and sorts things out. Pricing, QC and cross compatibility are some of the biggest issues.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Consumer VR seems to have come to a cross-roads indeed @Techy111.

From an outsiders looking in to the community, they see some interesting games, but a confused message - especially now with HTC and Valve acting so coy about hardware that is expensive.

Just when the initiative by Oculus VR could be seen as a valid path, partnering with Lenovo towards a cost-effective entry level PC VR system, and we see that opportunity suffering yet again under issues with QC, spec and reliability (the ghost of the CV1 launch returns). That said those that have working Rift-S are doing a great job champion the platform.  

But for the High-end VR community (and Enterprise), the issue may be more about high-end, high performance, rather than a cost effective "side-grade"...
....and as always the all important "Killer App!"

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959