cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Such a nice guy 🙂

Kinda have some weird feeling like I just flushed some money down the toilet - well I'm sure the feeling will pass, it always does, lol.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Like they say, "early bird gets the Index"  B)

6hyph35l7s75.jpg

"Ok so here is my take on this headset.

1. Packaging is really nice, environmental friendly pretty much all paper (kudos to Valve), including cable clips and all that (similar to how apple packages things).

2. Nothing extra, little colored manuals (similar to Apple manuals) and a cleaning microfiber cloth, also colored in Index colors

3. Feels like a premium experience, nothing cheap, from the moment you put your headset on you can easily adjust it in all points and even the adjustment feels "premium" - I don't know how to describe it. It just feels like quality all over the place. Cables are using soft touch materials...like I said, nothing cheap feeling.

4. Audio is awesome, sounds similar to my Sennheiser 598SR (I'm not audiophile but I can say its great).

5. Now the visual quality stuff. SDE is there but MILES ahead of HTC Vive, you basically don't notice it unless you are really trying to. Everything is adjustable, right out of the box doesn't fit that good but once you calibrate it to for your eyes then it gets a lot better.

6. Controllers come fully charged so you can play right away. Edit: Yeah, this didn't last long, probably showed fully charged but lasted around 3 hours...will charge em now fully.

I had some issues with audio, considering the headset has just DP and USB port for PC, it didn't recognize right away the audio headset...had to tweak a bit and check the VR Steam app to manually mirror the audio to the headset. Anyway it took a bit of time but managed to make it work in the end.

Bonus1: When you first set it up take your time to set up the cables and base stations...its easier to do it the first time than later...trust me.

Bonus2: photo of this cool microfiber cloth

yhj44sb3n3ms.jpg

Bonus3: lens photo in destinations robot thingy - they are sharper in VR but my camera sucks, black levels are good

o8tysd3w70k1.jpg

Bonus4: About knuckles - the idea is great and finger tracking is spot on IF you have the perfect palm for it, if not then you'll have to get used to it and learn how it tracks and how you should position your hand so that each finger is tracked. It's not that bad as it sounds but you notice it, probably it has more of a learning curve."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/c5o2l5/its_finally_here_everyone_should_get_their_index...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Luciferous
Consultant
I have so many games I started and then stopped, so I'll have plenty to do. Hoping the new comfort and visuals of the index will make me want to play games more often. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
I've still not had an email about my pre-order too. They gave me 31st august.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm still waiting on a shipping email and some people are getting them already lol. Oh well. Hopefully get it by the weekend. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I have white walls, I need some white power cables for the base stations - another major first world problem - and there're only 60 days to August 31  :#

(yes, this was intended to be a funny post 😉

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I suppose at some point this discussion will have to move over to the Valve Index forum!  B)
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

kevinw729 said:

I suppose at some point this discussion will have to move over to the Valve Index forum!  B)

But I like it here - feels like Home  ❤️ Besides I still have the CV1 ticket allowing me to be here  o:) B)

BTW, Aperture Hand Labs just launched - requires Index or Vive, no Rifts  :'(

https://store.steampowered.com/app/868020/Aperture_Hand_Lab/

https://youtu.be/ZlDiKsYrwNI

https://youtu.be/zSFB9URvy80

ivud2t0n5uaz.jpg
iyfyk57jtwp7.jpg
nfqfw4ycq6tz.jpg
iddyv8ke26x7.jpg
cz4aoi59qsuk.jpg

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

Like they say, "early bird gets the Index"  B)

"Ok so here is my take on this headset.

1. Packaging is really nice, environmental friendly pretty much all paper (kudos to Valve), including cable clips and all that (similar to how apple packages things).

2. Nothing extra, little colored manuals (similar to Apple manuals) and a cleaning microfiber cloth, also colored in Index colors

3. Feels like a premium experience, nothing cheap, from the moment you put your headset on you can easily adjust it in all points and even the adjustment feels "premium" - I don't know how to describe it. It just feels like quality all over the place. Cables are using soft touch materials...like I said, nothing cheap feeling.

4. Audio is awesome, sounds similar to my Sennheiser 598SR (I'm not audiophile but I can say its great).

5. Now the visual quality stuff. SDE is there but MILES ahead of HTC Vive, you basically don't notice it unless you are really trying to. Everything is adjustable, right out of the box doesn't fit that good but once you calibrate it to for your eyes then it gets a lot better.

6. Controllers come fully charged so you can play right away. Edit: Yeah, this didn't last long, probably showed fully charged but lasted around 3 hours...will charge em now fully.

I had some issues with audio, considering the headset has just DP and USB port for PC, it didn't recognize right away the audio headset...had to tweak a bit and check the VR Steam app to manually mirror the audio to the headset. Anyway it took a bit of time but managed to make it work in the end.

So you've got your Index now then mate?

What is the FOV like? What about the god rays?

And is it amazing then? Better then everything else?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

yhj44sb3n3ms.jpg

I can't help thinking that Gabe at one point said: "I want the Index be MUCH better than the Rift regarding EVERYTHING - even down the DAMN MICROFIBER CLOTH!!!". 

😄

As always Gabe is late to the show, and nobody dared to tell him that microfiber cloths are so 2016-like and kinda old fashioned, I even heard that the new way is to avoid them completely  😉