cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Joke aside - if there was a subscription plan where you got an upgraded headset every say 12/18-months with service and shipping included - I wonder if the VR community would sign up for that? Would be a great way to build a following, along the lines that is needed to achieve Oculus' business plans? Similar to a car leasing deal. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@kevinw729 you cannot call the kettle black and do the same thing. I see a lot of humour here daily, if you see that as humour then so shall I and so shall others. Sorted.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not going to stop posting funny posts. That's about as likely to happen as me not fucking swearing. 😄

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Well now that is sorted you both can pull your fingers from your asses and we can get back on topic  B)
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
How did you know what I was doing?!!?!?. I'm going to turn my bloody laptop camera off now!!!

Luciferous
Consultant
...... already answered

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Just gunna refer to the Out of Snowdog Awareness Rulebook (available on Amazon for £23.99) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/out/of/snowdog/awareness/rulebook/1667889

Out of Snowdog Awareness rulebook entry #1546. Don't ever buy a used laptop, wireless or wired mouse/keyboard, controller or anything that requires fingers to operate from him.

😕 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Valve Index Impressions from a 4 Headset Owner - submitted 10 hours ago * by IRobertus

Index arrived today and I have been using it for a few hours now.

My daily VR headset is a Vive Pro Wireless (with Lens mod) and I have own/owned the OG Vive, Rift, Odyssey + and PSVR. I tried the Rift S and Quest but due to my large head and IPD (72mm) both new Oculus products were quickly returned.

Initially I had some very frustrating issues with the controller set up but the issue is a Steam VR problem and luckily the nice people here were able to help. I am not going to touch on the controllers much here but they are incredible and I am so happy they will work with any Steam VR headset.

I see a lot of people asking for initial impressions so here goes.

Physical Headset

Valve Index wins this pretty easily. Never would I thought I would use the words comfortable and VR headset in the same sentence. The headset feels light and is very easy to take on an off.

Screen Door Effect

Another easy win for the Valve Index. The display has almost no SDE and the pixel fill gives it an edge over the Vive Pro SDE.

God Rays/Reflections

Good, barely noticeable. Impressive for a Fresnel Lens. You will still see some on white text on black backgrounds but not enough for it to be distracting like the Rift is.

Refresh Rate

I tested 144hz and 120hz and I definitely noticed an improvement in some titles. In Beatsaber everything is silky smooth and the large moving obstacle blocks just look/move better. I actually noticed the biggest improvement though in BioShock through Vorpx. That game always seemed a little juddery before but at 120hz the experience just felt so much smoother. I primarily game on a 144hz monitor so I am very sensitive to refresh rates. I would not be surprised if most people cant tell much of a difference.

Colors & Black Levels

I was initially very disappointed with the colors and black levels. The color reproduction appears good but very muted compared to the Vive Pro (which is stunning) and the blacks were a huge disappointment. I knew what to expect with an LCD panel but I really had hoped for something better. The Steam home looks really poor but with further testing inside of most games the colors looked just fine. I actually prefer the way it looks in Skyrim but Beat Saber looks horrible to me as its almost all black and the colored blocks no longer pop.

FOV

I never knew realized how nice it would be to see slightly more screen above and below my normal field of view. This was actually a huge immersion improvement for me and I found it really helped with heavy atmosphere games like Subnautica and Bioshock. The Vive Pro FOV is about the same width wise but the Index lets you see so much more above and below you.

Audio

Good for open environment games like Skyrim or Bioshock but was not satisfied with Beatsaber. I like the audio and its much better than the Rift S but for me personally I would prefer good headphones. I need to see if I can get the receivers slightly closer to my ears which might help.

IPD

IPD range only goes up to 70mm and my IPD is 72mm. After an hour or so of testing I started getting a little eye fatigue/swim. It was not that bad and I will need more testing but I hope it does not become an issue.

Currently I am having a hard time trying to justify my purchase as I already own a Vive Pro Wireless. I play Beatsaber more than any other VR title and the experience is much better on my Vive Pro.

As it stands I would recommend the Index to anyone who is looking to get in to roomscale VR or upgrade from an OG Rift or Vive. For people just wanting seated VR I would recommend the Samsung Odyssey + and for those with money to burn the Vive Pro Wireless with Gear Lenses is the hands down best overall experience.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Valve Index Impressions from a 4 Headset Owner - submitted 10 hours ago * by IRobertus

Colors & Black Levels

I was initially very disappointed with the colors and black levels. The color reproduction appears good but very muted compared to the Vive Pro (which is stunning) and the blacks were a huge disappointment. I knew what to expect with an LCD panel but I really had hoped for something better. The Steam home looks really poor but with further testing inside of most games the colors looked just fine. I actually prefer the way it looks in Skyrim but Beat Saber looks horrible to me as its almost all black and the colored blocks no longer pop.

Beat Saber is really awesome on the CV1 ss 2.0 - seems to me that the above review supports the idea of having an OLED HMD available for the very dark games, like the CV1 or O+. 
Also I refunded Job Simulator (SteamVR version), performance didn't seem perfect to me, ss 1.4 or 2.0 gave similar performance, so I guess it must have been 90 fps - it just didn't feel perfect. Vacation Simulator is totally smooth (Oculus Store version), so if there should be some very minor performance differences (or tracking implementation, whatever), I'm still not convinced that I won't need a Rift for back-up... Maybe using Index without activating several layers of (Oculus) drivers and software will provide better SteamVR experiences than using Rift in SteamVR, but no-one seems to be investigating such details... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

Colors & Black Levels

Audio

Good for open environment games like Skyrim or Bioshock but was not satisfied with Beatsaber. I like the audio and its much better than the Rift S but for me personally I would prefer good headphones. I need to see if I can get the receivers slightly closer to my ears which might help.

I was afraid of that with the colors. I still question why Oculus and Valve decided to use LCD's, especially on a high end headset like the Index. 

That's surprising on the Audio. I'll see if I agree tomorrow as Beat Saber is probably the first game I jump into to test the tracking.