Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.39 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dash

• From the Dash Settings panel, you can now set your Passthrough session length to “unlimited,” which will make Passthrough visible while using Dash.
  • Guardian setup will now attempt to automatically detect the floor height for you. You can still manually adjust the height if needed.
  • When using the virtual desktop feature in Dash, the virtual keyboard will now automatically open when you select a text field.

Oculus Home

• Your Home UI now includes a history of the Homes you’ve visited, in the Places UI section. Homes you’ve visited in the last 30 days can be visited again with a quick button press. You can clear out your history or opt out entirely in the Settings UI.
  • Never miss a Home reward pack again! Updated notifications now let you know when you have a reward ready to open. Also, notifications in Home have been redesigned to make things easier to read and understand.
  • Now you can use Home gateways to load directly into your favorite app. In addition to setting up destination gateways to your own home and your friends' homes, you can now set up an app as a destination and use it as a simple and quick way to get into your favorite experiences.
  • Home now features a camera, accessible straight from the Home Menu. Look on the bottom for the camera icon, and open the camera to capture your favorite moments in your Homes or Homes you're visiting. Take selfies, or screenshots, and find these images in your Documents/OculusHome/Camera folder.

Fixes

• Fixed an issue where Dash could crash if you had non-Unicode characters in your username.

Note:

Update 7/11/19 - This issue has been resolved with the latest PTC update (1.39.0.268010).

There is currently a known issue with 1.39 PTC that prevents it from working properly on Windows 7/8. If you are on Windows 7/8, please do not opt into the PTC at this time. If you already received the PTC update and are experiencing issues on Windows 7/8, please use the Oculus installer and perform a repair install to go back to the 1.38 release.

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
165 REPLIES 165

Anonymous
Not applicable

pcfarrar said:

Here's a link to the working OVRServiceLauncher.exe (1.38.1).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zisxcernv3y5c3a/OVRServiceLauncher.zip?dl=0

When the update to 1.39 is installing at the end (final stage) you need to navigate to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime

Copy the 1.38.1 OVRServiceLauncher.exe over the top of the new 1.39 one and then manually start the Oculus VR Runtime Service in Windows Services, the install will then complete and your back in business.

Awesome that worked perfectly - thanks!

V12-StevenX
Protege

pcfarrar said:

Here's a link to the working OVRServiceLauncher.exe (1.38.1).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zisxcernv3y5c3a/OVRServiceLauncher.zip?dl=0

When the update to 1.39 is installing at the end (final stage) you need to navigate to C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime

Copy the 1.38.1 OVRServiceLauncher.exe over the top of the new 1.39 one and then manually start the Oculus VR Runtime Service in Windows Services, the install will then complete and your back in business.

Mhhh...that's incredible! ... Another time with this issue  😮

Rahotep
Protege
Unable to play first person shooter on Rift S - no word if this is fixed ...

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice if the Rift S Touch controllers would turn off when not in use and PC still powered up. For me as long as PC is powered on, even with Oculus Home closed, they only go into standby ( white flashing light). I was going through a set of batteries once a week with moderate use. Now I take the batteries out when not using Rift S and PC powered on, and have gone 10 days now and they are still showing a full charge. I am a little concerned though on wear and tear of those contact points for the batteries in the controllers.

I did notice improved tracking with the Rift S controllers in 1.39 when near my head, so that is certainly nice.

ShocksVR
Superstar
1.39 is working great for me thus far (Win 10, no Service.exe issues).

I will say the closeup tracking is another level of black magic (Carmack Magic ?).  The controllers now track when close enough to physically touch the hmd (like how?); crazy cool !!

Thanks Oculus!
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

nalex66
MVP
MVP

I will say the closeup tracking is another level of black magic (Carmack Magic ?). 

We call that "Carmagic."

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

MaXKiLLz
Protege
If you play games such as Pavlov and Contractors, you need to update to 1.39 PTC right away.  Wow!

sraura
Heroic Explorer

Note:

There is currently a known issue with 1.39 PTC that prevents it from working properly on Windows 7/8. If you are on Windows 7/8, please do not opt into the PTC at this time. If you already received the PTC update and are experiencing issues on Windows 7/8, please use the Oculus installer and perform a repair install to go back to the 1.38 release.

...I do hope that not many cv1 users are on PTC channel, or this will turn ugly fast. I mean it doesn't help that you come to forums and read the fineprint after the damage is already done.

pcfarrar
Protege
It’s not just Windows 7/8 it has issues with Windows 10 - 1903 too.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't have ANY sort of sympathy for ANYONE still using Windows 7.

LOve the tracking close to the headset, I'm going to give In Death a spin later on tonight, and turn Realistic Bow back on again in Skyrim VR. I knew it wouldn't take Carmack long to sort something out, the man is a genius of the highest order.