cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Be careful using ginger!

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I just discovered (the hard way) the very painful possible side-effect of ginger. :oops:

My doctor just said I have gallstones, and a gallstone probably got stuck in the tube leading from the gall bladder, which is why I had terrible abdominal pains for three weeks. (The pain is gone now, but I still have gall-stones).

Ginger is considered very suspect because it increases bile production. It's not unanimous that ginger is bad for gallstones, there is a minority that says it might be good for them, but it is definitely interferes with normal gallbladder operation in some way.

Remember, just because a drug is "natural", doesn't mean it doesn't have serious side effects, and doesn't mean it's not still a drug. Things that have an effect, usually have side-effects too.

BTW, my doctor had heard of the Oculus Rift and its kickstarter development kit. He keeps asking me about it. 🙂
38 REPLIES 38

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

360FOV said:

I would rather eat a serving of the Devils testicle dipped in hot sauce

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought some Ginger Nuts a few days ago. One of my favourite biscuits, especially when dunked in tea. B)

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
u9yqxoc927el.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

CrashFu
Consultant
Mmmm, I love ginger in all its forms.   Never needed it for VR sickness though, because I've never gotten VR sickness. :tongue:

But now I could really go for a bag of crystallized ginger..

Careful around really strong ginger products on an empty stomach, though.  That's not a good time. :grimace:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
uw6cu0uxcqab.png
WAAAGH!

LZoltowski
Champion
Moved this to offtopic lol .. what a necro thread!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
mfso4r4t4dgk.jpg

Always worth a repost.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bauuubass
Explorer

CrashFu said:

Mmmm, I love ginger in all its forms.   Never needed it for VR sickness though, because I've never gotten VR sickness. :tongue:

Careful around really strong ginger products on an empty stomach, though.  That's not a good time. :grimace:

How lucky you are 😄 I do not only get VR sickness but often, also first-person game sickness  :s maybe I will get used to these types of games after some time, but right now it's pretty brutal

Anonymous
Not applicable

bauuubass said:

CrashFu said:

How lucky you are 😄 I do not only get VR sickness but often, also first-person game sickness  :s maybe I will get used to these types of games after some time, but right now it's pretty brutal

Just don't do too much. Simulation sickness comes from the brain believing that your body has been poisoned because what's happening in your ear isn't happening in your brain because your eyes are seeing motion that isn't there. So your brain thinks you're being poisoned.

The best way to build up a resistance to simulation sickness is to do the following:

1) Play in VR until you START to feel a little odd or uncomfortable and then STOP IMMEDIATELY (pressing the Oculus button or the pause button in-game is the easiest way to do this.

2) Keep your headset on and relax yourself for a minute or two.

3) Remove your headset and have a LONG break, preferably overnight but at least a couple of hours.

4) Repeat steps 1-3.