cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S black screen on MSI Laptop with Mini Display Port Adapter

Aupuma
Explorer
Hi, my Rift S has arrived today and I have two computers where I want to use it. 

First, I have tried it on a MSI Laptop model GP63 Leopard 8RE, using the Mini Display Port adapter.
At first it was recognized, but when it was going through the setup process there were some errors, I had to reconnect the USB and Display Port.
Finally I got to the end, where it says "Continue on the VR headset" and when I put it on, the screen does not light up, it is completely black. 
The laptop succeded without any issues the compatibility tool, it is VR Ready and carries a Gtx 1060 with the latest drivers, I don't know if the MiniDisplay Port is connected directly to the Nvidia Gpu or the integrated GPU...

Then I connected the Rift S to my desktop PC and it works properly, so it has to do with the laptop or the adapter, not the headset. Any ideas?
51 REPLIES 51

sraura
Heroic Explorer
here you can find entire section for MSI laptops;

MikePixelPusher
Protege

sraura said:

That doesn't give me much hope..
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

sraura
Heroic Explorer

sraura said:

That doesn't give me much hope..

Assuming you got "GE73 Raider RGB 8RE" with "Geforce GTX 1060", you could try following:
- installing all the driver, bios and firmware updates from here: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE73-Raider-RGB-8RE#down-bios (including the lastest Nvidia graphics drivers they offer there)
- plugging your Rift S to Type-A USB3.1 Gen1 port instead of Gen2 port
- opting to PTC (beta build) on oculus app.
- also updating windows to latest _available_ version might pay off... but might be risky if that involves manual downloads and hotfixes...

Thumbs up for you 🙂

MikePixelPusher
Protege
I got it to work! I played for 3+ hours.

I installed the newest video card drivers provided by MSI (Driver version 417.77).  Downloaded directly from the MSI website for my laptop. I did a clean install.

Hopefully it stays working. Did this work for anyone else?

Bardweiser
Honored Guest

I installed the newest video card drivers provided by MSI (Driver version 417.77).  Downloaded directly from the MSI website for my laptop. I did a clean install.

You have the exact same system I do and I just bought my Rift S yesterday only to get it home to encounter this same issue.  Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't do much from here (other than remote in and replace the video drivers) but that you got yours to work makes me hopeful!

sraura
Heroic Explorer
@MikePixelPusher nice to hear that it worked for you. Happy gaming.

MikePixelPusher
Protege

You have the exact same system I do and I just bought my Rift S yesterday only to get it home to encounter this same issue.  Unfortunately I'm at work so I can't do much from here (other than remote in and replace the video drivers) but that you got yours to work makes me hopeful!

Did it work for you? Mine is still working!

stephanepi
Honored Guest

Did it work for you? Mine is still working!

This worked for me. That's the only thing I didn't think about : vga driver :smile:. Driver version 417.77  from MSI website works just fine. Thank you. 

Dal_Pal
Honored Guest
Anyone got any fixes for the GE63 Raider RGB 8RE with Geforce GTX 1060? I can't seem to install driver version 417.77.

Dal_Pal
Honored Guest
Okay so the 391.48 version worked for me, except everything is a little dim and I don't know how to adjust it. But no black screen anymore.