i overclocked my gtx 1060 6gb, heres how — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

i overclocked my gtx 1060 6gb, heres how

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 513
Trinity
edited June 26 in General

open up gpu z and click the "?" question mark beside "bus interface" to start a test that shows your current gpu clock mhz.

mine is 1936 gpu clock mhz, 4006 memory clock, before overclocking. 2100 gpu core clock, 4608 memory clock after overclocking,

first setup the skin, settings, user interface, "msi gaming z afterburner skin by drerex design"

now for the overclocking.

settings for the GTX 1060;
settings, general, check "unlock voltage control"

core voltage +20
power limit max value linked to temp limit max value
core clock 168 = 12 * 14, multiple of 12, too much and you get artifacts
memory clock 600

fan speed auto,
settings,
fan,
check "enable user defined software automatic fan control"
y = 40, x = 20
y = 60, x = 50
y = 80, x = 60
y = 100, x = 70

click apply check mark

under profile, click save icon, then click a number i click 1.

then minimize msi afterburner and run msi konfabulator click "run stress test", if you see blocky artifacts then the core clock is too high or the memory clock is too high, probably the core clock or its not set to a multiple of 12.

core clock, maybe if your videocard is different than the gtx 1060 6gb you can put in a higher value for the core clock.
run konfabulator stress test to see if you see block junk pop up, then if so, the core clock is too high, so set it lower.

settings for the gtx 1080ti;

these are the MSI Afterburner overclock settings for the 1080ti;

core voltage default
power limit max value linked to temp limit max value
core clock 144
memory clock 450

test the konfabulator to see if you get blocky artifacts, if so lower to;
core clock +72
memory clock +300

link to msi afterburner and msi konfabulator

https://www.msi.com/page/afterburner

Comments

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 513
    Trinity
    heres a before and after picture of the gpu overclocking using gpuz, its a bit more than the 100 mhz i thought it was. unshrunk version of the picture is in the zip file.

Trinity
    edited June 26
    you can play 2d pc games like apex legends using the rift in virtual desktop, playing on the large screen as shown here;

doing this might make your game go slow fps, you want to see the hw statistics when playing the pc game to see the bottleneck, so i use MSI afterburner to both see the statistics and record a video of it.

heres the instructions, written instructions in the video description on youtube;

if the game in virtual desktop is slow, try on the regular pc monitor to see the hw statistics while playing a game to see if the fps or cpu or videocard percent used is good.

on the game apex legends even on a regular 2d monitor i get slow fps on the drop. and the on ground fps is well below the 144 fps the game can go to, thats on my gtx 1060 6gb. i think a gtx 2070 would fix this so i would go at 144 fps all the time even on the drop on the 2d pc monitor not in the rift..

• kabirkhan84kabirkhan84 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the guide. I was facing an error doing it. But i am now able to do the settings properly.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,259
    Wintermute
    I recently tried over clocking my gtx1080ti with msi and ended up with a very unstable Rift cv1.  Plus, even when it worked ok, the extra fps performance in VR was insignificant (maybe 1-2fps).  I ended up uninstalling msi and all was fine again.  I guess it depends on your system whether OC'ing your gpu  is worthwhile or not.

Probably OC'ing your CPU slightly may give better results.  Unfortunately I have an i7 7700 hq that cannot be overclocked. 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Trinity
    edited June 26

• nikko_3dnikko_3d Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    this work in gtx 1060 3 gb??
    Trinity
    I updated my first post video and instructions. and i included overclocking tips for the GTX 1080 ti. and the guide for the gtx 1060 6gb will work for the gtx 1060 3gb.
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    I updated my first post video and instructions. and i included overclocking tips for the GTX 1080 ti. and the guide for the gtx 1060 6gb will work for the gtx 1060 3gb.
    The basic ideas work with ANY gpu. Bump up core clock in small increments till unstable, then back off. If you want more core clock...bump up vcore.

Someone that has to ask " will this work with my /insert gpu"should probably leave it alone.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,370 Volunteer Moderator
    +1 if you have to ask then steer clear or you'll cook your card. 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Trinity
    edited June 30
    take youtube and forums to get a safe settings. then test on konfabulator to find blocky artifacts.

if there is no online settings yet, then increase the power limit max value linked to temp limit max value, then increase the core clock and memory clock but not at the same time, to find the maximum value they can be set to before giving rough blocky results in konfabulator test. but you need to run konfabulator for an hour or so to be sure.

so if you find the memory or core clock runs fine on konfabulator you need to run konfabulator for an hour or so to be sure.
    then, " If you want more core clock...bump up core voltage." i read some people ask gurus if there was a max safe core voltage and the guru said you had safe guards in place so you could set the core voltage as high as you want up to max and it would be safe, others say + 30 is safe so whichever you believe more, i set my core voltage +20.

its safer to wait for the pros to find settings then take the lowest safe settings that work for them. you might need to watch a few videos and read a few forum posts to get an idea of the optimal lowest settings then try them out on konfabulator.

• darklord2517darklord2517 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Honestly, how risky is that for the card? Won't it reduce its life-span?
    Trinity
    edited July 2
    yes there is a risk overclocking can hurt your gpu. how? by the gpu running at close to 100 percent before and After overclocking. the additional heat and strain on an overclocked gpu running at 100 percent will create more heat damage over time.

the trick is to overclock so when you run your gpu the gpu isnt running at max gpu but 80 percent gpu usage is fine imho.

you need to find an acceptable fps of the game or application your running that it wont max out the gpu used. for instance i play apex legends and set the fps to 60 which takes the gpu usage down from 100 percent when the game tried to get 144 fps, down to around 70 percent now the game is only going 60 fps and the gpu is overclocked.

on the upside an overclocked gpu will use less gpu percentage for the fps than an non-overclocked gpu will.

and using msi afterburner monitor to watch gpu temperatures will tell you when the gpu needs new thermal paste.

my gpu temperature stays around 50 degrees celcius, some videocards go up to 80 degrees celcius, anything more than 80 degrees celcius though i think is a tell tale sign the overclocking is out of hand.

Trinity
    an extra tip for gpu fan speed is to check the fan speed unsing cam monitor software, if the gpu fan speed when not gaming is 0 percent then the below fan settings might be better to prevent wear on your gpu fans;

y = 0, x = 40
    y = 50, x = 50
    y = 60, x = 60
    y = 80, x = 70
    y = 100, x = 80